Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

27 May 'worldwide' BA IT outage | practical assistance/advice [Clutter-free please]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 27, 2017, 8:25 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NWIFlyer
All IT systems are back up and running and BA are operating normal flight schedules.

PLEASE ASK ALL COMPENSATION RELATED QUESTIONS IN THE DEDICATED TOPIC: The 2017 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation 261/2004. The full list of cancelled and delayed flights for Sunday is to be found here, though note that it is the arrival time that matters for delays.

Successful (or otherwise) reports for claims where the information would be of use to others would, however, be very welcome in this thread.

Monday flight cancellations for LHR listed here. Services to and from LGW, LCY and STN seem to be working more or less on time.. Telephone numbers for rebooking are in this post, note also the difference between what contact centres and airport staff can do, noted here.

Updated 29/05/2017 22:50 (UK time) Link to BA updates: https://www.britishairways.com/trave...VINF4more_news

Baggage
There are a significant number of bags at Heathrow which we will be reuniting with customers via couriers as soon as we can. This will be done free of charge. Please help us to get these to you as quickly as possible by ensuring we have your latest contact details by filing a delayed bag report.

If your journey was disrupted -
Because of the scale of the disruption, most passengers should expect to make their own arrangements to mitigate the disruption as BA will not have resources to assist all passengers. BA have a duty of care under EU Regulation 261/2004 and according to this letter handed out at Gatwick the following costs would usually be claimable from BA.
  • Ł25 for reasonable meal/refeshment expenses (per adult per day)
  • 2 reasonable phone calls per customer

If an overnight stay is required
  • Ł200 for a hotel room (for 2 people)
  • Ł50 Transport to/from the airport (round trip)

Although BA has suggested some guideline costs for duty of care, EU Regulation 261/2004 doesn't specify any monetary cap. By documenting (take a screen capture of a hotel comparison site for example) that there were no cheaper alternatives, it is possible that claims exceeding the guideline costs suggested by BA may be met. Expenses not covered by BA may be claimable from your travel insurance subject to possible policy excesses.

Duty of care is separate from fixed sum compensation (EUR 250 to 600 depending on the flight distance) for flight delays/cancellations, which may or may not be payable under EU Regulation 261/2004 depending on whether BA can show that the flight delay was caused by 'extraordinary circumstances' and that it took 'all reasonable measures' to avoid the resulting delay. Also, airlines do not usually entertain claims for consequential losses (for example, the cost of prepaid accomodation which you can't now use), so you would need to look to your travel insurance for these costs.

EU Regulation 261/2004 does not cover delayed/damaged/lost baggage. The Montreal Convention sets an upper limit for delayed/damaged/lost baggage compensation. For more information, visit the BA.com webpage on delayed/damaged/lost baggage.

You can read the forum thread for guidance on EU Regulation 261/2004 or check back on these forums later for more advice on claiming, but first of all look after yourself during this disruption.

Claiming expenses incurred during the disruption
https://disruptionclaim.britishairways.com/

Historic update as of 18:55 on Saturday

All BA flights from LHR and LGW are cancelled for the remainder of the day (Saturday 27th May). This is due to a major systems outage of most of BA's computer systems. The original cause of the outage was a power failure from which BA has found it difficult to recover.

Because Call Centre systems are also down, and their own web pages may be affected, BA is encouraging affected customer to seek updates via BA Twitter feed and Facebook page.

Alex Cruz has indicated that those passengers who no longer wish to fly with BA on their booking for today will be "fast tracked" for refunds. However, no mechanism for this has yet been communicated (7pm Saturday). Again affected customers are asked to follow the relevant Twitter and Facebook communication channels.

There are reportedly long delays leaving the airport with some customers claiming delays of many hours.
Print Wikipost

27 May 'worldwide' BA IT outage | practical assistance/advice [Clutter-free please]

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2017, 7:56 am

It's not A13 it looks like it's A12 and it's maybe a 3 hour queue to get out. 1 gate being used.....pathetic
Old May 27, 2017, 7:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
For those interested on the case study for the BA data centres (limited scope): https://cdn1.ait-pg.co.uk/wp-content...Case_Study.pdf and here: https://www.ait-pg.co.uk/our-work/british-airways/
Old May 27, 2017, 7:57 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by herbertgoon
We were in line for bag drop at LGW for a trip to Faro - all the checkin/bag drop staff left and then came round saying everything before 6pm cancelled. Phoned the Silver line and told nothing doing, call back in 3 hours.

Is it decent advice to just sit it out and let BA deal with us? I did look at alternative flights but all booked bar TAP at Ł900 each!
At present there's not much BA can do for you until it can access its IT system. You could sit it out and you might drop lucky and get out tonight, but to be honest it is not looking good for you.
Old May 27, 2017, 7:57 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by xenole
They keep announcing that everything up to 6pm is cancelled and that you can leave the terminal by gate A13.
Lots of people queuing to try and rebook etc. even though they keep saying they can't access anything so you can pretty much walk into any lounge including the CCR.
I'm in VIE trying to get ot BRU via LHR and the BA staff here are actually contractors, not full time employees, so they just straight up left. Austrian Customs freaked out for awhile because we couldn't leave our post-security gate but another flight was due to depart out. Most people just stood around looking confused...

I ended up calling Amex and they booked me on Austrian Air direct to BRU but there's no way for me to get my checked back from BA.

Personally I'm extra pissed off because when I checked in I asked the agent if I could switch to VIE-BCN-BRU instead of VIE-LHR-BRU because I'd been seeing issues on Twitter at LHR but the agent was absolutely positive LHR would be good to go by the time my flight left...

No idea what BA will give me on a refund/reimburse the difference for the Austrian Air flight/reimbursement on my delayed luggage (have a conference tomorrow and all my suits were in my checked bag) so all in all chalking this up to a pretty ...... trip.
Old May 27, 2017, 7:58 am

Originally Posted by Dubh
It's not A13 it looks like it's A12 and it's maybe a 3 hour queue to get out. 1 gate being used.....pathetic
Tell people to take the train to C and stay on to get to Arrivals!
Old May 27, 2017, 7:58 am

Programs: DL,EK
You know what would be good? Just a simple dry wipe board with manual info updates and gate announcements in the lounge.
That's how it worked when I took a domestic flight in Laos. Maybe BA should contact them.
Old May 27, 2017, 7:59 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Is the queue at A12 or at Immigration? It is possible it is both, I suppose.
Old May 27, 2017, 8:00 am

Programs: BA Gold. IHG Diamond Elite / Ambassador
Mrs383 was sat in GF since 11:15 waiting for BA1308 to ABZ.

Was finally told to leave as everything cancelled and go to A13 to exit which seemed bizarre to me. Surely that's just a gate!

She now seems unable to exit the terminal due to "security"

Anyone know what the normal route to exit airside would be if you simply decided not to fly?
Old May 27, 2017, 8:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Originally Posted by Prospero
I have streamed the parallel BA.com (is it up or is it down?) discussion into a stand-alone sister thread. You can find it here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...nsiveness.html

Prospero
Moderator: BA forum
Thank you.
Old May 27, 2017, 8:01 am

Programs: BA Silver, ICH Plat Amb
Originally Posted by Guy Betsy

Would BA refund her? She absolutely has to be in Frankfurt by 7pm which is when she is scheduled to arrive. I doubt she will make it seeing that LHR will still be a mess tomorrow.
If she 'absolutely' has to be in Frankfurt by 7pm I would book another airline, then attempt to get a refund from BA another day. 50/50 chance of a refund IMO.

Feeling gutted for the numerous families trying to get away for the holidays.
After traveling with a non-frequent flying family recently it was an eye opener how stressful flying can be if you're not used to it.
Lots of kids will be returning home in tears I'm sure
Old May 27, 2017, 8:02 am

Programs: QFWP; HH Diamond
Update #3 from BA891 in SOF:

We have been de-planed and bussed back to the terminal. Pilot announced that they would time out at 17:00 BST, so just on 2 hours from now. We have been advised to hang out in the terminal (lounge for me :-)) and wait further updates. Pilot is hopeful we will get to LHR if we can get off the ground by 17:00 BST. If not, then we'll most likely be spending the night here.

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
Is the queue at A12 or at Immigration?
To me it looks like it is at A12 itself, and the queue is down and around the corner towards A1. We've just been told that there us no hope to get reunited with bags today either.
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
Originally Posted by fac383
Mrs383 was sat in GF since 11:15 waiting for BA1308 to ABZ.

Was finally told to leave as everything cancelled and go to A13 to exit which seemed bizarre to me. Surely that's just a gate!

She now seems unable to exit the terminal due to "security"

Anyone know what the normal route to exit airside would be if you simply decided not to fly?
Does she have her passport?
Old May 27, 2017, 8:03 am

Programs: BA Silver, A3
Apart from the €250 under EU regulations for a short haul flight delay / cancellation what claim can be made to ba for hotel bookings? Is this ours to claim against holiday insurance (and the likely rise in premiums next year?)
Old May 27, 2017, 8:03 am

Just had it confirmed, it's affecting everything with the exception of Yammer - an internal social network. E-mail is also apparently back on for those using the outlook phone app or who were already logged in when the outage happened.

Looking at Yammer, staff are just as angry as the customers. Yammer is available as a phone app so I assume that's how everyone is commenting. It's certainly how I'm viewing it now. IT services have promised updates on there but I can't see any yet.

Meanwhile, I am just passing Peterborough en route Leeds. No IT failures on VTEC today!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.