Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

27 May 'worldwide' BA IT outage | practical assistance/advice [Clutter-free please]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 27, 2017, 8:25 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NWIFlyer
All IT systems are back up and running and BA are operating normal flight schedules.

PLEASE ASK ALL COMPENSATION RELATED QUESTIONS IN THE DEDICATED TOPIC: The 2017 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation 261/2004. The full list of cancelled and delayed flights for Sunday is to be found here, though note that it is the arrival time that matters for delays.

Successful (or otherwise) reports for claims where the information would be of use to others would, however, be very welcome in this thread.

Monday flight cancellations for LHR listed here. Services to and from LGW, LCY and STN seem to be working more or less on time.. Telephone numbers for rebooking are in this post, note also the difference between what contact centres and airport staff can do, noted here.

Updated 29/05/2017 22:50 (UK time) Link to BA updates: https://www.britishairways.com/trave...VINF4more_news

Baggage
There are a significant number of bags at Heathrow which we will be reuniting with customers via couriers as soon as we can. This will be done free of charge. Please help us to get these to you as quickly as possible by ensuring we have your latest contact details by filing a delayed bag report.

If your journey was disrupted -
Because of the scale of the disruption, most passengers should expect to make their own arrangements to mitigate the disruption as BA will not have resources to assist all passengers. BA have a duty of care under EU Regulation 261/2004 and according to this letter handed out at Gatwick the following costs would usually be claimable from BA.
  • £25 for reasonable meal/refeshment expenses (per adult per day)
  • 2 reasonable phone calls per customer

If an overnight stay is required
  • £200 for a hotel room (for 2 people)
  • £50 Transport to/from the airport (round trip)

Although BA has suggested some guideline costs for duty of care, EU Regulation 261/2004 doesn't specify any monetary cap. By documenting (take a screen capture of a hotel comparison site for example) that there were no cheaper alternatives, it is possible that claims exceeding the guideline costs suggested by BA may be met. Expenses not covered by BA may be claimable from your travel insurance subject to possible policy excesses.

Duty of care is separate from fixed sum compensation (EUR 250 to 600 depending on the flight distance) for flight delays/cancellations, which may or may not be payable under EU Regulation 261/2004 depending on whether BA can show that the flight delay was caused by 'extraordinary circumstances' and that it took 'all reasonable measures' to avoid the resulting delay. Also, airlines do not usually entertain claims for consequential losses (for example, the cost of prepaid accomodation which you can't now use), so you would need to look to your travel insurance for these costs.

EU Regulation 261/2004 does not cover delayed/damaged/lost baggage. The Montreal Convention sets an upper limit for delayed/damaged/lost baggage compensation. For more information, visit the BA.com webpage on delayed/damaged/lost baggage.

You can read the forum thread for guidance on EU Regulation 261/2004 or check back on these forums later for more advice on claiming, but first of all look after yourself during this disruption.

Claiming expenses incurred during the disruption
https://disruptionclaim.britishairways.com/

Historic update as of 18:55 on Saturday

All BA flights from LHR and LGW are cancelled for the remainder of the day (Saturday 27th May). This is due to a major systems outage of most of BA's computer systems. The original cause of the outage was a power failure from which BA has found it difficult to recover.

Because Call Centre systems are also down, and their own web pages may be affected, BA is encouraging affected customer to seek updates via BA Twitter feed and Facebook page.

Alex Cruz has indicated that those passengers who no longer wish to fly with BA on their booking for today will be "fast tracked" for refunds. However, no mechanism for this has yet been communicated (7pm Saturday). Again affected customers are asked to follow the relevant Twitter and Facebook communication channels.

There are reportedly long delays leaving the airport with some customers claiming delays of many hours.
Print Wikipost

27 May 'worldwide' BA IT outage | practical assistance/advice [Clutter-free please]

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2017, 7:00 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by florens
Update:

73 = some
Thanks for posting that, florens. I am pleased to see Alex Cruz taking ownership, it is refreshing to hear what is going on from the horses mouth and without the usual embellishments and flowery language.
Old May 28, 2017, 7:07 am

Programs: BA Gold member Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Ber2dca
Too late Alex, the hi-viz vest has already become a running joke. I recommend adding a hard hat next time.

I guess things must be running much better now he has decided to remove his high Viz. I work in IT and every time a system crashes I grab my jacket, as Alex did yesterday. Only when the problem is resolved do I remove it! So im sure things are fine right now which is a relief.
Old May 28, 2017, 7:09 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Am I the only one who cannot get beyond the splash page message on the website? Any link I try brings me right back to their posted message. Even links offered on the splash page takes me right back to it.
Old May 28, 2017, 7:10 am

Programs: BA - Gold for Life, CCR & GGL; IC Spire Elite Ambassador; Diamond Hilton Honors; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
Thanks for posting that, florens. I am pleased to see Alex Cruz taking ownership, it is refreshing to hear what is going on from the horses mouth and without the usual embellishments and flowery language.
Good to see the CEO communicating directly to the public, although I suspect the awareness of YouTube messages is limited.

Perhaps the link should be on ba.com or included in an email to every BAEC member, whether affected or not.

Massive reputation re building will be needed over time and the above might be a very small but useful first step.
Old May 28, 2017, 7:11 am

Just checked in for BA167 to TLV (16:45 departure). Strict policing of entry doors at departures level with only First/Gold/OWE getting in at First Wing end and 90min cut off being applied for everyone else. Was a bit of a mess out on foyer with long queues so wouldn't advise turning up early or to try & rebook etc. First Wing security navigated in 2 mins & CCR <50% full. GF looked busy but still odd seats available.

I advised a family with 2 small kids to try the arrivals route in as they were desperate for somewhere to sit down but no idea if they were successful.
Old May 28, 2017, 7:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by david55
Am I the only one who cannot get beyond the splash page message on the website? Any link I try brings me right back to their posted message. Even links offered on the splash page takes me right back to it.
https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...lick=NHT_yes#/
Old May 28, 2017, 7:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Originally Posted by GDOCP
I'm rather fuming with BA right now. I was due to do a LHR-DUB-LHR B2B today to then connect onto LHR-DFW tomorrow (on AA). My outbound LHR-DUB, the BA830, has been cancelled, but the inbound BA829 is still running (presumably the normal same aircraft link has been broken with the disruption).

Just spent an hour on the Gold Line listening to the Flower Duet before speaking to a rep and her supervisor who are adamant that they will not protect my DUB-LHR-DFW ticket because it was on a separate booking reference to the LHR-DUB which was cancelled. I know there are rules about this but I'm not gaming the system, I fully intended to take the DUB-LHR-DUB, and I would have thought they would have had some flexibility given the meltdown.

Was booked through Amex for work so I now have them on the case - fingers crossed they can persuade BA to be sensible about this.

I thought BA had reached the bottom of the barrel when BOB came but this is really testing my loyalty. Sad times.
This is one of the occasional possible consequences of choosing to book ex-EU whilst resident in the UK and to rely instead on a tight connection.

I would suggest using the current flexible rebooking policy liberally.
Old May 28, 2017, 7:27 am

Programs: AA EXP (LT Plat 2MM), Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Plat, SPG Plat75, UA1K
Manged to get through to BA on the phone and was on hold for two hours. Actually made the trek out to LHR T3 thinking that would be better - NOT! In over an hour I managed to move from one small holding pen to another. Wi-Fi kept dropping in and out due to all of the users. A very helpful BA agent that happened to pass by suggested that since my trip was basically in vain I should try to get through on the phone in day or two as the lines in T3 would take many hours. I thought I would chance it and went over to LCY. Took about 1:45 to get there and, once inside, the ticket sales desk was able to get me on the JNB flight tonight at 7:05p in WTP and I even got an aisle seat!! Sitting at the Sofitel now (not their best moment - I am sure they are tired but just bad service) and waiting to be able to get into T5. All in all, the LCY folks were just fantastic.
Old May 28, 2017, 7:31 am

Programs: ex BD(LG),HH(D),SPG(P)/(LG), BA(G)
Whilst this has been far from one of BA's finest hours, and they have rightly been criticised for poor to non-existent comms, I must point out another example of some of the tremendous work being done in outstations to keep flights going. Having originally been booked on today's BA256 DEL-LHR, it looked for a long time as if it would be cancelled, so having noted from FlightRadar24 that the earlier outbound BA143 had been one of the few Speedbirds to escape LHR on Saturday, I headed to DEL to get on the BA142. The staff were superb, as without a valid ticket you can't even get in to the terminal at Delhi. They to'd and fro'd to rebook me and ensure I made my LHR connections. We eventually took off 2hrs10mins late, but only thanks to an excellent and calm(ish) job by all the ground staff handling agents there. Well done to you all in what were incredibly difficult circumstances. For the record, it was over two hours from arriving at the airport to getting a boarding card in my hand (and I was in the 'First/GC' queue, of two of us!)...a comfortably never to be repeated (I hope) record! Good luck to all those still in the melee, and hope you and your luggage make it to where you intended.
Old May 28, 2017, 7:38 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by stifle
This is one of the occasional possible consequences of choosing to book ex-EU whilst resident in the UK and to rely instead on a tight connection.

I would suggest using the current flexible rebooking policy liberally.
I agree, it's the risk I take when I book an ex-DUB - I just hoped BA would have a bit more flexibility in the circumstances (I wouldn't expect them to protect a booking on any normal weekend, of course). You would have thought they would have been happy to have an extra seat made available on DUB-LHR to give to another stranded passenger.

In any case, Amex have phoned me back, and it looks like my backup option as you say is to capitalise on the flexible rebooking and do my B2B first thing tomorrow morning. We're waiting to see if the BA829 ends up being cancelled or not which dictates the plan.
Old May 28, 2017, 7:39 am

Originally Posted by ORDPLATAA
Manged to get through to BA on the phone and was on hold for two hours. Actually made the trek out to LHR T3 thinking that would be better - NOT! In over an hour I managed to move from one small holding pen to another. Wi-Fi kept dropping in and out due to all of the users. A very helpful BA agent that happened to pass by suggested that since my trip was basically in vain I should try to get through on the phone in day or two as the lines in T3 would take many hours. I thought I would chance it and went over to LCY. Took about 1:45 to get there and, once inside, the ticket sales desk was able to get me on the JNB flight tonight at 7:05p in WTP and I even got an aisle seat!! Sitting at the Sofitel now (not their best moment - I am sure they are tired but just bad service) and waiting to be able to get into T5. All in all, the LCY folks were just fantastic.
Haha, that is very impressive determination. Not sure I'd trek from LHR to LCY and back just to get rebooked but fair play to you!
Old May 28, 2017, 7:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Red face

Originally Posted by mikeyfly
Quick Q - I assume if the exLHR is canx then so is the return? In which case its 28? Or are their aircraft in the above locations from yesterday that will operate the return?
Aircraft may well have flown up empty, due to crew being out of hours, to protect the return.
Old May 28, 2017, 7:50 am

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Platinum, Accor Gold
I'm booked on BA98 from Toronto to LHR at 10pm tonight. BA app is showing flight on time but I'm not sure I trust the app! Can anyone tell me what flight number the incoming LHR plane is so I can try to track its arrival please?

I'm guessing yesterday's disruption means tonight's flight will be rammed?? It was originally looking like a quiet flight as last Fri they had 8 WTP Avios seats available and I was hoping to buy an upgrade to CW (I'm travelling WTP) either via the Gold line or at the airport. Obviously I didn't bother ringing the Gold line yesterday given the disruption.
Old May 28, 2017, 7:52 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, Radisson VIP
Originally Posted by bibbju
I'm booked on BA98 from Toronto to LHR at 10pm tonight. BA app is showing flight on time but I'm not sure I trust the app! Can anyone tell me what flight number the incoming LHR plane is so I can try to track its arrival please?

I'm guessing yesterday's disruption means tonight's flight will be rammed?? It was originally looking like a quiet flight as last Fri they had 8 WTP Avios seats available and I was hoping to buy an upgrade to CW (I'm travelling WTP) either via the Gold line or at the airport. Obviously I didn't bother ringing the Gold line yesterday given the disruption.
I think BA99, B788, G-ZBJD, due to depart at 5.05pm. This is the load:

J2 C0 D0 R0 I0 W0 E0 T0 Y9 B9 H9 K8 M5 L3 V0 S0 N0 Q0 O0 G9
Old May 28, 2017, 7:53 am

Originally Posted by bibbju

BA99

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.