Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

27 May 'worldwide' BA IT outage | practical assistance/advice [Clutter-free please]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 27, 2017, 8:25 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NWIFlyer
All IT systems are back up and running and BA are operating normal flight schedules.

PLEASE ASK ALL COMPENSATION RELATED QUESTIONS IN THE DEDICATED TOPIC: The 2017 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation 261/2004. The full list of cancelled and delayed flights for Sunday is to be found here, though note that it is the arrival time that matters for delays.

Successful (or otherwise) reports for claims where the information would be of use to others would, however, be very welcome in this thread.

Monday flight cancellations for LHR listed here. Services to and from LGW, LCY and STN seem to be working more or less on time.. Telephone numbers for rebooking are in this post, note also the difference between what contact centres and airport staff can do, noted here.

Updated 29/05/2017 22:50 (UK time) Link to BA updates: https://www.britishairways.com/trave...VINF4more_news

Baggage
There are a significant number of bags at Heathrow which we will be reuniting with customers via couriers as soon as we can. This will be done free of charge. Please help us to get these to you as quickly as possible by ensuring we have your latest contact details by filing a delayed bag report.

If your journey was disrupted -
Because of the scale of the disruption, most passengers should expect to make their own arrangements to mitigate the disruption as BA will not have resources to assist all passengers. BA have a duty of care under EU Regulation 261/2004 and according to this letter handed out at Gatwick the following costs would usually be claimable from BA.
  • Ł25 for reasonable meal/refeshment expenses (per adult per day)
  • 2 reasonable phone calls per customer

If an overnight stay is required
  • Ł200 for a hotel room (for 2 people)
  • Ł50 Transport to/from the airport (round trip)

Although BA has suggested some guideline costs for duty of care, EU Regulation 261/2004 doesn't specify any monetary cap. By documenting (take a screen capture of a hotel comparison site for example) that there were no cheaper alternatives, it is possible that claims exceeding the guideline costs suggested by BA may be met. Expenses not covered by BA may be claimable from your travel insurance subject to possible policy excesses.

Duty of care is separate from fixed sum compensation (EUR 250 to 600 depending on the flight distance) for flight delays/cancellations, which may or may not be payable under EU Regulation 261/2004 depending on whether BA can show that the flight delay was caused by 'extraordinary circumstances' and that it took 'all reasonable measures' to avoid the resulting delay. Also, airlines do not usually entertain claims for consequential losses (for example, the cost of prepaid accomodation which you can't now use), so you would need to look to your travel insurance for these costs.

EU Regulation 261/2004 does not cover delayed/damaged/lost baggage. The Montreal Convention sets an upper limit for delayed/damaged/lost baggage compensation. For more information, visit the BA.com webpage on delayed/damaged/lost baggage.

You can read the forum thread for guidance on EU Regulation 261/2004 or check back on these forums later for more advice on claiming, but first of all look after yourself during this disruption.

Claiming expenses incurred during the disruption
https://disruptionclaim.britishairways.com/

Historic update as of 18:55 on Saturday

All BA flights from LHR and LGW are cancelled for the remainder of the day (Saturday 27th May). This is due to a major systems outage of most of BA's computer systems. The original cause of the outage was a power failure from which BA has found it difficult to recover.

Because Call Centre systems are also down, and their own web pages may be affected, BA is encouraging affected customer to seek updates via BA Twitter feed and Facebook page.

Alex Cruz has indicated that those passengers who no longer wish to fly with BA on their booking for today will be "fast tracked" for refunds. However, no mechanism for this has yet been communicated (7pm Saturday). Again affected customers are asked to follow the relevant Twitter and Facebook communication channels.

There are reportedly long delays leaving the airport with some customers claiming delays of many hours.
Print Wikipost

27 May 'worldwide' BA IT outage | practical assistance/advice [Clutter-free please]

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2017, 5:14 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by pjh981
what are my chances of getting BA to 'Un-Cancel' my flight and rebook on the basis that they have changed their policy?
I'm not too hopeful, since presumably the cancellation has already been sent to Refunds, and that's usually the point of no return. But if you don't ring up and don't ask, you're unlikely to find out.
Old May 28, 2017, 5:16 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by GDOCP
I'm rather fuming with BA right now. I was due to do a LHR-DUB-LHR B2B today to then connect onto LHR-DFW tomorrow (on AA). My outbound LHR-DUB, the BA830, has been cancelled, but the inbound BA829 is still running (presumably the normal same aircraft link has been broken with the disruption).

Just spent an hour on the Gold Line listening to the Flower Duet before speaking to a rep and her supervisor who are adamant that they will not protect my DUB-LHR-DFW ticket because it was on a separate booking reference to the LHR-DUB which was cancelled. I know there are rules about this but I'm not gaming the system, I fully intended to take the DUB-LHR-DUB, and I would have thought they would have had some flexibility given the meltdown.

Was booked through Amex for work so I now have them on the case - fingers crossed they can persuade BA to be sensible about this.

I thought BA had reached the bottom of the barrel when BOB came but this is really testing my loyalty. Sad times.
Use the current BA flexible policy to change your DUB-LHR-DFW flight to whatever is available next, this will prevent you losing the ticket. Then either use the same policy to get your LHR-DUB changed or cancel and get there with another airline. I believe dates up to November are allowed.
Old May 28, 2017, 5:18 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Currently sat in CCR exchanging knowing glances with people I spotted here yesterday. Breezed through First Wing. Was told the bags I'd checked in yesterday may make it onto my flight depending on whether or not they're picked up by the people going through scanning bags for green lights.

What is reasonable / is there an upper limit to what I can purchase in terms of clothes/toiletries etc to last me the five days of my trip to SFO should my bags not arrive?
Old May 28, 2017, 5:21 am

For those in the know, what is really going on, are things on the mend or not? Why is BA460 now canceled when the earlier BA458 operated?
Old May 28, 2017, 5:22 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by dilpat84
What is reasonable / is there an upper limit to what I can purchase in terms of clothes/toiletries etc to last me the five days of my trip to SFO should my bags not arrive?
The rule that's often totted out here to this question is "imagine there was no way to recover this from BA, what is the minimum you would spend knowing you'd have to pay it yourself?".

More pragmatically, buy a couple of days clothing / cosmetics when you arrive in SFO from Gap or some other middle of the road shop, and keep the receipts. If you go off to the high end of the retail spectrum then you may need to fund it yourself. After 2 days if there is no sign of a delivery, then go out for the rest.
Old May 28, 2017, 5:22 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
I've just been into my BAEC and since I haven't checked in for this afternoon's LHR-MAN flight, it let me go to the cancellation page.
Already missed my flight to LHR (checked in yesterday morning before the outage and then couldn't cancel as I had checked in) but it still let me select that for cancellation.

No idea if anything will come of it but worth a try. Not a major amount to lose but it's the principle of it.
Old May 28, 2017, 5:24 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Tafflyer
Use the current BA flexible policy to change your DUB-LHR-DFW flight to whatever is available next, this will prevent you losing the ticket. Then either use the same policy to get your LHR-DUB changed or cancel and get there with another airline. I believe dates up to November are allowed.
Thanks - I hope that might be the solution. My LHR-DUB has been automatically rebooked to the BA832 tomorrow morning, which looks to back-to-back with the BA833, which I think would get me back to LHR in time to connect to the DFW flight.

My DUB-LHR is due to depart at 1630 so I guess I have just over 4hrs to get this sorted...
Old May 28, 2017, 5:25 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Currently sat in CCR exchanging knowing glances with people I spotted here yesterday. Breezed through First Wing. Was told the bags I'd checked in yesterday may make it onto my flight depending on whether or not they're picked up by the people going through scanning bags for green lights.

BA will reimburse the monies spent for purchasing essential items. As long as your purchases are reasonable and necessary you should be fine. The absolute limit is in the region of Ł1000. However your travel insurance should cover any expenses over that if there is an extended delay in you receiving your bags. This assumes you are actually taking an outbound flight.

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat

Whatever is reasonable for your requirements is the best answer you will probably get here. Don't buy anything you wouldn't normally buy for yourself anyway, and buy only a couple of days requirements at a time in case BA do magically get your bag to SFO.

Programs: OWS IHG Diamond + Accor Plat, Scandic Top Level
VIE 27th May

Yesterday at VIE BA697.

At around 12pm (local time) an announcement was made the boarding would be delayed for 15mins due to information system problem. This was repeated a few times until the aircraft was moved from the stand. At which point we were allowed back into the main terminal to use a remote terminal gate. So obviously in this situation one checks FT first to get the latest updates. So it was plain to see whats really going on.
After a 2 hour delay, the local agents started to call out some of those on connecting flights, (I believe that these were to North America). They were offered new flights via other European carriers to their destinations, not easy Im sure but very proactive of the local staff.
So we waited and waited, and once it was known that no flights would be leaving LHR, it was a forgone conclusion that we would not be flying today.
The inevitable announcement was made so we are all told to go land side collect bags and rebook. Large queue when I arrived possibly 2-300 people and four staff to deal with the situation.
I suspected that booking one of the airport hotels would be a good idea, this was done while waiting in the queue. At this point I thought might as well check in for my room drop my bags off. Then relax freshen up have a beer or 2 and pop back to the airport. When arriving back, the queue was down to about 20 people, I enquired as to my options, there were few seats available for the 28th, but at this stage I was not sure if the BA IT issue would be cleared by the morning.

So knowing that a refund would be paid I declined with the additional reason is I have equipment in my hold baggage that I need for work and wanted to be sure I have them for Tuesday. On returning to the hotel I booked the EW5892 VIE to BHX the following morning as I live half way between there and LHR, lucky for me and use a taxi.

All in all a poor day for BA, but I must praise the ground services at VIE for being so proactive for some of the people with connecting flights.

On another note I overheard a passenger and his family at the morning check for BA697 saying to the counter staff how many problems with connections he had in the past flying Europe to North America with BA at LHR and that he was thinking of using other airlines. One would assume that after this his mind is made up now..

Hope every one manages to get to their destination today
Old May 28, 2017, 5:27 am

LHR security only 5 minutes but lounges uncomfortably crowded and terminal generally heaving with people lying about on chairs and ground, don't come early to camp.
Old May 28, 2017, 5:28 am

Originally Posted by omaygat
For those in the know, what is really going on, are things on the mend or not? Why is BA460 now canceled when the earlier BA458 operated?
The 458 was a 777 operated by Mixed Fleet, so it was a great way to get a lot of passengers on their way quickly. The 460 is just an A320 so a shortage of crew or aircraft meant that it fell victim to a list of cancellations. MAD would be a target for this since there is scope to shuffle passengers around on to other services. NCL has only a few services today, no cancellations yet, and EDI has had only a few so far, 4 cancelled out of 13 flights.

If you look at the cancellation posts upthread, you'll see that the rate of cancellation appears to be easing off compared to first thing this morning. Longhaul is more or less OK. LGW has only cancelled 1 flight out of 90 so far, and LCY none at all.
Old May 28, 2017, 5:41 am

Another 14 cancellations from LHR announced, so 73 cancelled flights out of approx 350 scheduled today.

Code:
BA0370	LHR	MRS	3	17:10	Cancelled	
BA0944	LHR	DUS	5	17:25	Cancelled	
BA0978	LHR	HAJ	5	17:35	Cancelled	
BA0736	LHR	GVA	5	17:40	Cancelled	
BA0322	LHR	CDG	5	18:00	Cancelled	
BA1316	LHR	ABZ	5	18:05	Cancelled	
BA1420	LHR	BHD	5	18:05	Cancelled	
BA0442	LHR	AMS	5	18:05	Cancelled	
BA0418	LHR	LUX	3	18:10	Cancelled	
BA1402	LHR	MAN	5	18:10	Cancelled	
BA1336	LHR	NCL	5	18:15	Cancelled	
BA1492	LHR	GLA	5	18:15	Cancelled	
BA1458	LHR	EDI	5	18:30	Cancelled	
BA0838	LHR	DUB	5	18:45	Cancelled
For the full list of cancelled flights today, use the link in the wiki.

EDIT the 1855 service to OTP has also been scrubbed now. 74 cancellations.

Last edited by corporate-wage-slave; May 28, 2017 at 8:00 am
Old May 28, 2017, 5:44 am

Got stuck at FCO last night here. After several hours on hold to the gold line, UK and then US I managed to get us rebooked for today on BA547 to connect in to BA27 this evening. Currently sitting in the lounge at FCO looking at the delay for Ba547 getting longer. Still got a couple of hours buffer to the BA27 but I see the inbound 546 still hasn't departed LHR so I am expecting it to delay further
Old May 28, 2017, 5:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Quick Q - I assume if the exLHR is canx then so is the return? In which case its 28? Or are their aircraft in the above locations from yesterday that will operate the return?

Have a GLA LHR tomorrow and assume it's one of the more likely to get the chop if necessary

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.