Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

27 May 'worldwide' BA IT outage | practical assistance/advice [Clutter-free please]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 27, 2017, 8:25 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NWIFlyer
All IT systems are back up and running and BA are operating normal flight schedules.

PLEASE ASK ALL COMPENSATION RELATED QUESTIONS IN THE DEDICATED TOPIC: The 2017 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation 261/2004. The full list of cancelled and delayed flights for Sunday is to be found here, though note that it is the arrival time that matters for delays.

Successful (or otherwise) reports for claims where the information would be of use to others would, however, be very welcome in this thread.

Monday flight cancellations for LHR listed here. Services to and from LGW, LCY and STN seem to be working more or less on time.. Telephone numbers for rebooking are in this post, note also the difference between what contact centres and airport staff can do, noted here.

Updated 29/05/2017 22:50 (UK time) Link to BA updates: https://www.britishairways.com/trave...VINF4more_news

Baggage
There are a significant number of bags at Heathrow which we will be reuniting with customers via couriers as soon as we can. This will be done free of charge. Please help us to get these to you as quickly as possible by ensuring we have your latest contact details by filing a delayed bag report.

If your journey was disrupted -
Because of the scale of the disruption, most passengers should expect to make their own arrangements to mitigate the disruption as BA will not have resources to assist all passengers. BA have a duty of care under EU Regulation 261/2004 and according to this letter handed out at Gatwick the following costs would usually be claimable from BA.
  • Ł25 for reasonable meal/refeshment expenses (per adult per day)
  • 2 reasonable phone calls per customer

If an overnight stay is required
  • Ł200 for a hotel room (for 2 people)
  • Ł50 Transport to/from the airport (round trip)

Although BA has suggested some guideline costs for duty of care, EU Regulation 261/2004 doesn't specify any monetary cap. By documenting (take a screen capture of a hotel comparison site for example) that there were no cheaper alternatives, it is possible that claims exceeding the guideline costs suggested by BA may be met. Expenses not covered by BA may be claimable from your travel insurance subject to possible policy excesses.

Duty of care is separate from fixed sum compensation (EUR 250 to 600 depending on the flight distance) for flight delays/cancellations, which may or may not be payable under EU Regulation 261/2004 depending on whether BA can show that the flight delay was caused by 'extraordinary circumstances' and that it took 'all reasonable measures' to avoid the resulting delay. Also, airlines do not usually entertain claims for consequential losses (for example, the cost of prepaid accomodation which you can't now use), so you would need to look to your travel insurance for these costs.

EU Regulation 261/2004 does not cover delayed/damaged/lost baggage. The Montreal Convention sets an upper limit for delayed/damaged/lost baggage compensation. For more information, visit the BA.com webpage on delayed/damaged/lost baggage.

You can read the forum thread for guidance on EU Regulation 261/2004 or check back on these forums later for more advice on claiming, but first of all look after yourself during this disruption.

Claiming expenses incurred during the disruption
https://disruptionclaim.britishairways.com/

Historic update as of 18:55 on Saturday

All BA flights from LHR and LGW are cancelled for the remainder of the day (Saturday 27th May). This is due to a major systems outage of most of BA's computer systems. The original cause of the outage was a power failure from which BA has found it difficult to recover.

Because Call Centre systems are also down, and their own web pages may be affected, BA is encouraging affected customer to seek updates via BA Twitter feed and Facebook page.

Alex Cruz has indicated that those passengers who no longer wish to fly with BA on their booking for today will be "fast tracked" for refunds. However, no mechanism for this has yet been communicated (7pm Saturday). Again affected customers are asked to follow the relevant Twitter and Facebook communication channels.

There are reportedly long delays leaving the airport with some customers claiming delays of many hours.
Print Wikipost

27 May 'worldwide' BA IT outage | practical assistance/advice [Clutter-free please]

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2017, 12:19 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador, Starbucks Gold,
I have just been able to log into BA.com and check in online for my flight tomorrow. Managed to save boarding passes as .pdf to print out later - no joy on the app as yet. But hopefully things are on the mend.
Old May 27, 2017, 12:19 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Right, ladies and gentlemen,

In order to try to keep this thread clutter-free, factual and up-to-date as much as possible so that people directly affected by this disruption can find the relevant and useful information quickly, we have set up a separate thread for miscllaneous discussions related to 27 May BA IT outage: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...l#post28367357

Anything that is not directly related to the current IT disruption, helpful for readers and factual, or asking for practical advice on how to deal with the current predicament that is posted on this thread may be moved to the Miscellaneous thread or deleted. (Please do not reply to a post unless it fits that description for suitability for this thread either, and please do not post 'commentary' unless it is clearly useful for someone who is disrupted.)

We do not want to be draconian but we will be merciless with this policy so that people can find useful and relevant information as quickly as possible without wading through the clutter.

Those of you who have been directly affected by the disruption and need practical advice from fellow FlyerTalk members, please continue to post on this thread.

Could we also ask that EU261 discussions are kept off this thread for now until full facts emerge, as it is causing further clutter to the thread. If you wish to discuss the EU261, there is a specific thread for it:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...61-2004-a.html

Everyone, please consider those who have been inconvenienced by this situation and help them to find relevant help as quickly as possible by keeping any clutter away from this thread.

Thank you very much for your cooperation.

LTN Phobia
Moderator: BA forum

Last edited by LTN Phobia; May 27, 2017 at 1:18 pm
Old May 27, 2017, 12:22 pm

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Gold
I was booked on a flight this evening - shall I wait for BA to re book me onto the next available flight or do I need to proactively contact them?

Cheers
Old May 27, 2017, 12:25 pm

Originally Posted by herbertgoon
So BA, what am I to expect? Automatic rebook? Cancellation and foorget it? What? Please? Anything....!
My app has come back to life but when I go to mmb it just says I have to call up. No automatic suggestion so far.
Old May 27, 2017, 12:26 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond, United 1K, BA Blue, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by studentflyer96
I was booked on a flight this evening - shall I wait for BA to re book me onto the next available flight or do I need to proactively contact them?
Do your research in terms of what flights are preferable for you and what re-routing you would be willing to accept and then contact BA. The process works better when you tell the phone agent exactly what you want instead of them searching and giving you options. In this situation, the quicker it is dealt with, the more frustrated passengers are processed sooner.
Old May 27, 2017, 12:31 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by studentflyer96

Cheers
I'm assuming here you are departing from the UK or on shorthaul Europe: BA.com and the App seem to be progressively coming back online. If you are departing LHR or LGW you will need to either get the online rebooking tool to work for you (it appears not to be working at the moment, but I suspect it will come on stream in the next few hours); alternatively call in to rebook. Realistically you may be unable to do much for a few more hours or even until tomorrow.
Old May 27, 2017, 12:37 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
Was due to fly to SFO on BA287 today and couldn't. Apologies if these are stupid questions, but:

If they offer to rebook me onto a flight tomorrow, can I also have my return flight rebooked? Otherwise I'll be flying to SFO for four nights, which doesn't seem quite worth it (appreciate it's only a day less that what I was originally going to do).

Alternatively, if they offer to rebook me, can I decline and ask for a refund instead? Would a refund be in addition to the EU compensation? Not trying to be greedy, am merely curious.

My bag is somewhere at Heathrow, so I'm assuming it won't make it with me to SFO if I'm rebooked. I dropped it off in the 'holding pen' after checking it in...have no idea if it even left there.
Old May 27, 2017, 12:38 pm

(P.s I jumped on the transit train and went to C and back and was out within about 15 minutes of leaving the CCR - the queue of people was HUGE)

Is there a way to track if the inbound plane has taken off yet - I'm checking FT24 for the inbound flight and it hasn't departed yet (presumably, if the flight is cancelled, FT24 won't update ATD) - I'm interested if the plane has even made it into the air yet (with or without pax).

Originally Posted by Banana4321
You can either
i) wait until the incident is over and see what BA have to say. I doubt even BA know right now how they might fully recover including re-booking.
ii) book on another airline. BA have said that they will fastrack any refund. But not how - keep eyes on social media outlet

Whatever you do, do not mention EU261 on this thread.
All my alternative airlines are fully booked untill wednesday - I've only got the week off...I still have no advice on what will happen despite being on the phone for about 4 hours. As I said before, guidlines on what will happen would be helpfull, but nothing even close to that. Thanks BA, you are looking like a bit of a joke...
Old May 27, 2017, 12:39 pm

Programs: VS FC Gold, BA EC Gold, Amex Centurion, EK Gold, ex-G-ATVK driver
Originally Posted by MrMutton
I have just been able to log into BA.com and check in online for my flight tomorrow. Managed to save boarding passes as .pdf to print out later - no joy on the app as yet. But hopefully things are on the mend.
Same here, thanks for the information. Like you, I cannot pick up the BP on the phone but have managed to get a PDF.

Therefore it appears that the BA7 LHR-HND scheduled from 11:40 Saturday morning is in the air, because the reciprocal BA8 HND-LHR has allowed me to check in but is giving me a four hour delay (12:50 instead or 08:50). I am also told to turn up for the original scheduled departure time unless I receive anything from BA suggesting otherwise (which I haven't).

Looks like the later BA5/BA6 LHR-NRT-LHR rotation is cancelled according to expertflyer which is showing BA6 as cancelled.

I am crossing everything but with luck it looks like I may have dodged that bullet. Thanks all for the information provided.
Old May 27, 2017, 12:40 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by herbertgoon
All my alternative airlines are fully booked untill wednesday - I've only got the week off...I still have no advice on what will happen despite being on the phone for about 4 hours. As I said before, guidlines on what will happen would be helpfull, but nothing even close to that. Thanks BA, you are looking like a bit of a joke...
Where exactly are you trying to get from and to?
Old May 27, 2017, 12:41 pm

Programs: BA Gold; MB Ti; HH Diamond; IHG Plat; RR Gold
Originally Posted by Michael Roberts
Is there a way to track if the inbound plane has taken off yet - I'm checking FT24 for the inbound flight and it hasn't departed yet (presumably, if the flight is cancelled, FT24 won't update ATD) - I'm interested if the plane has even made it into the air yet (with or without pax).
If you can post the flight number and route one of us should be able to track it down.
Old May 27, 2017, 12:41 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Howard Long
Same here, thanks for the information. Like you, I cannot pick up the BP on the phone but have managed to get a PDF.

Therefore it appears that the BA7 LHR-HND scheduled from 11:40 Saturday morning is in the air, because the reciprocal BA8 HND-LHR has allowed me to check in but is giving me a four hour delay (12:50 instead or 08:50). I am also told to turn up for the original scheduled departure time unless I receive anything from BA suggesting otherwise (which I haven't).

Looks like the later BA5/BA6 LHR-NRT-LHR rotation is cancelled according to expertflyer which is showing BA6 as cancelled.

I am crossing everything but with luck it looks like I may have dodged that bullet. Thanks all for the information provided.
BA7 is not in the air.
Old May 27, 2017, 12:43 pm

Originally Posted by dakaix
If you can post the flight number and route one of us should be able to track it down.
LHR - SEA BA 49
https://www.flightradar24.com/data/aircraft/g-civx

I'm scheduled on SEA - LHR BA 48 this evening (7.5 hours) which is still apparently "on time"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.