Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

27 May 'worldwide' BA IT outage | practical assistance/advice [Clutter-free please]

27 May 'worldwide' BA IT outage | practical assistance/advice [Clutter-free please]

Hide Wikipost
Old Jun 1, 17, 3:24 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: NWIFlyer
Wiki Link
All IT systems are back up and running and BA are operating normal flight schedules.

PLEASE ASK ALL COMPENSATION RELATED QUESTIONS IN THE DEDICATED TOPIC: The 2017 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation 261/2004. The full list of cancelled and delayed flights for Sunday is to be found here, though note that it is the arrival time that matters for delays.

Successful (or otherwise) reports for claims where the information would be of use to others would, however, be very welcome in this thread.

Monday flight cancellations for LHR listed here. Services to and from LGW, LCY and STN seem to be working more or less on time.. Telephone numbers for rebooking are in this post, note also the difference between what contact centres and airport staff can do, noted here.

Updated 29/05/2017 22:50 (UK time) Link to BA updates: https://www.britishairways.com/trave...VINF4more_news

Baggage
There are a significant number of bags at Heathrow which we will be reuniting with customers via couriers as soon as we can. This will be done free of charge. Please help us to get these to you as quickly as possible by ensuring we have your latest contact details by filing a delayed bag report.

If your journey was disrupted -
Because of the scale of the disruption, most passengers should expect to make their own arrangements to mitigate the disruption as BA will not have resources to assist all passengers. BA have a duty of care under EU Regulation 261/2004 and according to this letter handed out at Gatwick the following costs would usually be claimable from BA.
  • 25 for reasonable meal/refeshment expenses (per adult per day)
  • 2 reasonable phone calls per customer

If an overnight stay is required
  • 200 for a hotel room (for 2 people)
  • 50 Transport to/from the airport (round trip)

Although BA has suggested some guideline costs for duty of care, EU Regulation 261/2004 doesn't specify any monetary cap. By documenting (take a screen capture of a hotel comparison site for example) that there were no cheaper alternatives, it is possible that claims exceeding the guideline costs suggested by BA may be met. Expenses not covered by BA may be claimable from your travel insurance subject to possible policy excesses.

Duty of care is separate from fixed sum compensation (EUR 250 to 600 depending on the flight distance) for flight delays/cancellations, which may or may not be payable under EU Regulation 261/2004 depending on whether BA can show that the flight delay was caused by 'extraordinary circumstances' and that it took 'all reasonable measures' to avoid the resulting delay. Also, airlines do not usually entertain claims for consequential losses (for example, the cost of prepaid accomodation which you can't now use), so you would need to look to your travel insurance for these costs.

EU Regulation 261/2004 does not cover delayed/damaged/lost baggage. The Montreal Convention sets an upper limit for delayed/damaged/lost baggage compensation. For more information, visit the BA.com webpage on delayed/damaged/lost baggage.

You can read the forum thread for guidance on EU Regulation 261/2004 or check back on these forums later for more advice on claiming, but first of all look after yourself during this disruption.

Claiming expenses incurred during the disruption
https://disruptionclaim.britishairways.com/

Historic update as of 18:55 on Saturday

All BA flights from LHR and LGW are cancelled for the remainder of the day (Saturday 27th May). This is due to a major systems outage of most of BA's computer systems. The original cause of the outage was a power failure from which BA has found it difficult to recover.

Because Call Centre systems are also down, and their own web pages may be affected, BA is encouraging affected customer to seek updates via BA Twitter feed and Facebook page.

Alex Cruz has indicated that those passengers who no longer wish to fly with BA on their booking for today will be "fast tracked" for refunds. However, no mechanism for this has yet been communicated (7pm Saturday). Again affected customers are asked to follow the relevant Twitter and Facebook communication channels.

There are reportedly long delays leaving the airport with some customers claiming delays of many hours.
Print Wikipost

Old May 27, 17, 6:36 am

Programs: BA - Gold for Life, CCR & GGL; IC Spire Elite Ambassador; Diamond Hilton Honors; Hyatt Discoverist
On bbc.com:

"BA passengers: Don't come to airports

Posted at 13:31

The airline said the terminals at Heathrow and Gatwick airports had "become extremely congested" and that all flights before 18:00 BST are cancelled.

A BA spokesperson said: "Please do not come to the airports.""
Old May 27, 17, 6:36 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by mike&co View Post
Daily Mail now reporting this as a "cyber attack"
BA is saying they have found no evidence that this is a cyber attack.
Old May 27, 17, 6:37 am

Programs: AY+ Gold, SK EBS
RE: The lounge staff saying the BBC information is wrong. That info is coming direct from the BA press office - they may just not have told their own staff yet.
Old May 27, 17, 6:38 am

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by Chokkoubin View Post
RE: The lounge staff saying the BBC information is wrong. That info is coming direct from the BA press office - they may just not have told their own staff yet.
The BA website itself is saying all flights are cancelled until 18:00. So looks like staff at the airports haven't been advised yet.
Old May 27, 17, 6:39 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK View Post
Are they saying that we have to blame BA for their incompetence?
Old May 27, 17, 6:40 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by CD747 View Post
BA announced that "the BBC News is totally false in reporting that all flights have been cancelled until 6pm, and all flights will be going, we just don't know when".

!!!
Perhaps you should direct them to ba.com:

"Summary
We have experienced a major IT system failure that is causing very severe disruption to our flight operations worldwide.

The terminals at London Heathrow and Gatwick have become extremely congested and we have cancelled all flights from Heathrow and Gatwick before 6pm UK time today, so please do not come to the airports.

We are currently also unable to assist with rebooking through ba.com or our contact centres.

More information
We will provide more information on ba.com, Twitter and through airport communication channels as soon as we can for flights due to depart after that time. We will be updating the situation via the media regularly throughout the day.

We are extremely sorry for the inconvenience this is causing our customers and we are working to resolve the situation as quickly as possible."

https://www.britishairways.com/trave...VINF4more_news
Old May 27, 17, 6:44 am

Programs: BA Gold
There is only a few outbound flights on FR24, the long hauls that have left are around 3 hours late.
Old May 27, 17, 6:45 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, IHG Spire Elite, HHonors Diamond
There's actually a queue outside the CCR of people waiting to go up to GC.
Old May 27, 17, 6:46 am

Programs: Mucci Diamond Hairbrush. And Nouveau Bronze
Perhaps you should direct them to ba.com:

"Summary
We have experienced a major IT system failure that is causing very severe disruption to our flight operations worldwide.

The terminals at London Heathrow and Gatwick have become extremely congested and we have cancelled all flights from Heathrow and Gatwick before 6pm UK time today, so please do not come to the airports.

We are currently also unable to assist with rebooking through ba.com or our contact centres.

More information
We will provide more information on ba.com, Twitter and through airport communication channels as soon as we can for flights due to depart after that time. We will be updating the situation via the media regularly throughout the day.

We are extremely sorry for the inconvenience this is causing our customers and we are working to resolve the situation as quickly as possible."

https://www.britishairways.com/trave...VINF4more_news
The cancellation has been confirmed by a BA post on my FB feed. I guess staff on the ground are the last to be told.

BA.com remains dead for me though, as is your link.
Old May 27, 17, 6:46 am

Programs: BAEC Hilton,
I'm not surprised tbh. As you know, Daily Mail can be over dramatic at the best of times but they are reporting it as a "cyber attack" and that BA systems have been "hacked"
Old May 27, 17, 6:50 am
Suspended

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
So, that is €300 times how many passengers? I would be very surprised if they would not claim force majeure, but in this case I would definitely not accept that. I wonder what percentage of people don't claim at all.
Old May 27, 17, 6:51 am

Programs: BD, BAEC Bronze, Hertz 5*, Accor Plat, HHonors Diamond, Big White Season Pass
BA's Facebook page has just been updated with the all flights cancelled till 6, don't come to the airport message.
Old May 27, 17, 6:51 am
Moderator, Hertz
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
Let's see what happens with my flights.im on ba54 at 9pm from JNB to lhr and then to BOS at 11:15am on Ba213. Assuming that they resolve it soon, or they manually do pax loading then there's a good chance to fly into lhr tomorrow.
Old May 27, 17, 6:52 am

Quick question. I am waiting to fly to AMS. It's not a must do trip and I fly home to LHR first thing tomorrow. Am I better just leaving LHR now or waiting until the announce update on flight. I should have flown at 11:45am. Thanks all
Old May 27, 17, 6:54 am

Programs: BA
I'm due to fly back to LHR from BOS this evening and as the incoming flight from LHR has been cancelled (due to depart at 11:15am BST) I am assuming that I won't be going anywhere.

I need to drop off the hire car at the airport anyway so can seek help/ support from BA staff on the ground but would you suggest booking a hotel now (whilst there is availability at a preferred hotel) in anticipation of an overnight stay or should I wait in the hope of being rerouted for example or that they magic up a plane?

Last edited by Robshaw236; May 27, 17 at 7:33 am

Search this Thread