Wiki Posts
Search

Taxes & Surcharges From the USA

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2017, 12:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Skywards, British Airways Executive Club
Taxes & Surcharges From the USA

My mother-in-law lives in the USA and last year I introduced her to the concept of collecting Avios. Suprisingly (she is in her 80's) she fully embraced the idea and twelve months later she has enough miles for a return flight ATL x MAN in First to visit us (if only I'd kept my mouth shut ).

I have been looking at flights on her behalf and can find plenty of availability on BA, however I was a little suprised to find that Taxes and Surcharges amounted to $1286.75 as opposed to approximately Ł500 when we do the trip starting in the UK!

After a little further investigation I find that if booked as two one way flights the taxes and surcharges are considerably cheaper - $993.88 ($525.22 ATL x MAN & 468.66 for the return).

Booking two one way tickets would appear to be a 'no brainer', however are there any disadvantages to this course of action and why should it work out so much cheaper?

I'll brace myself for the Mother-in-law jokes now
Old May 26, 2017, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Rookersa
My mother-in-law lives in the USA and last year I introduced her to the concept of collecting Avios. Suprisingly (she is in her 80's) she fully embraced the idea and twelve months later she has enough miles for a return flight ATL x MAN in First to visit us (if only I'd kept my mouth shut ).

I have been looking at flights on her behalf and can find plenty of availability on BA, however I was a little suprised to find that Taxes and Surcharges amounted to $1286.75 as opposed to approximately Ł500 when we do the trip starting in the UK!

After a little further investigation I find that if booked as two one way flights the taxes and surcharges are considerably cheaper - $993.88 ($525.22 ATL x MAN & 468.66 for the return).

Booking two one way tickets would appear to be a 'no brainer', however are there any disadvantages to this course of action and why should it work out so much cheaper?

I'll brace myself for the Mother-in-law jokes now
Surcharges can vary widely, depending on the reward ticket's country of origin. Taxes, properly so called, should not vary.

The disadvantage to booking two one-ways is that in the event one needs to cancel the trip or change the dates of travel in each direction, you'd be looking at two cancellation or change fees, instead of just one. That's a risk that I think most would be willing to accept for the surcharge savings.
Old May 26, 2017, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
See also the discussion in these threads:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...rn-ticket.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...d-trip-us.html
Old May 26, 2017, 3:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Skywards, British Airways Executive Club
Many thanks to you both for the prompt replies, the links to the other threads answered many questions.

AH......I'd not thought about cancellation fees, but as you say probably worth the risk.
Thank you
Old May 26, 2017, 7:12 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold (GGL/CCR), HHonors Diamond
Yes, BA is pilfering more money from US based fliers. Surcharges are charged based on the starting point, so for a round trip it is most expensive to buy a round trip from the US to Europe, cheaper to buy two single for US-Europe-US and cheapest to buy Europe-US. One of many reasons I am finally moving on from BA and will not renew my status or miles.
Old May 27, 2017, 2:33 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
You might want to consider one way US-UK and then a separate return journey UK-US-UK with almost a year apart, which would let her come again and save a lot on surcharges as she would originate all following tickets as UK US returns...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.