Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA (and IB) to impose GDS booking fee from 01 Nov 2017

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 4, 2018, 4:38 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Globaliser
GDS fee offsets for users of the ITA Matrix

A consequence of the introduction of the GDS fee discussed in this thread is price quotes given by ITA Software's Matrix tool now include the GDS fee in the relevant currency. It is still possible to reconcile ITA fare quotes both to ba.com fare quotes and to the ExpertFlyer fare ladder listing (which is published net of the GDS fee) by deducting the appropriate GDS fee from the ITA quote.

Typically, one fare component covers travel from origin to destination even if there are transfers or stopovers, so even a complex routing may be fared as a round-trip and thus include only two fare components.

With effect from 1 January 2020, the GDS fee is the following amount per fare component in the following currencies:-
  • GBP 11.00 per fare component
  • EUR 13.00 per fare component
  • USD 14.00 per fare component
  • JPY 1,500 per fare component
  • CHF 14.00 per fare component
Other fixed amounts that are apparent from ITA quotes:-
  • ZAR 70.00 per fare component short-haul (plus 15% VAT on domestic itineraries)
  • HKD 0 per fare component
Other currencies are charged by conversion from the USD figure. Further details are in this guide.

Corrections and additions to this list would be welcome.
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2017, 9:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA, U2+, SK, AF/KL, IHG, Hilton, others gathering dust...

Couldn't see this posted elsewhere on the forum, feel free to close/merge if it has been posted already.

Not a great surprise given the noises from Mr Walsh about this, it's been announced that IAG are following the lead of LH and will impose a £8 per booking fee from 1 Nov on all bookings made via GDS. They have notified agents. Some details here

http://www.travelweekly.co.uk/articl...ds-booking-fee

I guess it's possible some agents (I'm thinking some large corporate agencies) will privately negotiate reductions or waivers on the fee.
Old May 26, 2017, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Seems to be restricted to UK / EU agencies.
Old May 26, 2017, 10:07 am

It's only for those using traditional GDS as opposed to the new NDC systems. Full details here:

https://www.britishairways.com/asset...ogy-charge.pdf

Also note the charge is per fare component not per booking, so £16 return.
Old May 26, 2017, 10:08 am

Duplicate
Old May 26, 2017, 11:46 am

Programs: KLM, BA Silver, Etihad
Thanks for th tip off. We are moving to the new booking platform.

I have enquirer with my TMC to see what the situation is with the gap between the introduction of the fee and the new system if there is one.
Old May 27, 2017, 3:17 am

Programs: AA EXP 2 MM
Interesting articles about NDC

What is IATA’s New Distribution Capability and Why it is Needed?

In summary:

IATA’s New Distribution Capability represents a shift from the way airlines sell today by loosening the constraints of legacy architecture. NDC is an XML standard that enables airlines to deliver richer and dynamic content where price is ultimately related to a traveller’s value. It shifts control over pricing from a traditional published process to a dynamic response controlled by the airlines. To achieve that in a rich merchandising environment XML is needed.
IATA … recognizes that selling ancillaries holds the key to its members becoming more profitable. Ancillaries is the revenue that can be made from non-ticket sales such as speedy boarding, baggage items, seating choices and a whole bunch of services that can be delivered to make the flying experience more enticing such as catering choices, Wi-Fi or flight entertainment.
Old May 27, 2017, 3:20 am

Programs: BA Gold; MB Ti; HH Diamond; IHG Plat; RR Gold
I saw this story yesterday, but I must admit to having assumed this was already in force. My bookings through Amex Travel already incur a £6.43 "eTicket" fee. Presumably BA's will result in an increase to this..
Old May 27, 2017, 4:55 am
Hilton 10+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
What at doe sit mean for the non initiated? Does all tickets take a 8GBP hike or only the ones booked thru à TA/OTA ?

IATA’s New Distribution Capability represents a shift from the way airlines sell today by loosening the constraints of legacy architecture. NDC is an XML standard that enables airlines to deliver richer and dynamic content where price is ultimately related to a traveller’s value. It shifts control over pricing from a traditional published process to a dynamic response controlled by the airlines. To achieve that in a rich merchandising environment XML is needed.
My BS o'meter hits the roof.
Old May 27, 2017, 5:04 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Gold, ALL Gold, Bonvoy Gold
"NDC is an XML standard that enables airlines to deliver richer and dynamic content where price is ultimately related to a traveller’s value. It shifts control over pricing from a traditional published process to a dynamic response controlled by the airlines"

Presumably this translates as "airlines set prices based on what they know about your personal willingness to spend, rather than being stuck with generally published fares", e.g. https://www.yahoo.com/style/how-airl...613697017.html. (As an aside, I'm not sure I like that property being termed "my value".)

Is an answer to keep cookies clear and only add BAEC number after booking? At any rate, this certainly looks like a disincentive to loyalty. An airline that knows less about me will be less able to extract the maximum I'm willing to pay.
Old May 27, 2017, 5:12 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by fransknorge
My BS o'meter hits the roof.
Indeed

"To achieve that in a rich merchandising environment XML is needed."

What does that actually mean? XML is seen as a bit 'old hat' these days - with JSON seemingly the better option.
Old May 28, 2017, 1:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA, U2+, SK, AF/KL, IHG, Hilton, others gathering dust...
Originally Posted by fransknorge
What at doe sit mean for the non initiated? Does all tickets take a 8GBP hike or only the ones booked thru à TA/OTA ?
only tickets booked through a TA/OTA using traditional GDS connection rather than a direct connection to BA using NDC.

Originally Posted by boutela
"NDC is an XML standard that enables airlines to deliver richer and dynamic content where price is ultimately related to a traveller’s value. It shifts control over pricing from a traditional published process to a dynamic response controlled by the airlines"

Presumably this translates as "airlines set prices based on what they know about your personal willingness to spend, rather than being stuck with generally published fares", e.g. https://www.yahoo.com/style/how-airl...613697017.html. (As an aside, I'm not sure I like that property being termed "my value".)

Is an answer to keep cookies clear and only add BAEC number after booking? At any rate, this certainly looks like a disincentive to loyalty. An airline that knows less about me will be less able to extract the maximum I'm willing to pay.
Bookings made directly with BA are not impacted by this at all. The use of NDC has 2 main aims for the airline; the ability to sell ancillaries more easily, which airlines say they can't do via the GDS (but the GDS companies dispute), and (the real reason IMO) a way for the airlines to get off the drug of the GDS, which they regard as an unnecessarily expensive distribution channel. £8 per sector is a big charge, and there is an element of revenge about it, airlines have felt "abused" by the GDS companies for many years.
Old May 28, 2017, 11:28 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Gold, ALL Gold, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by Oaxaca
Bookings made directly with BA are not impacted by this at all.
To be sure, they have maximum flexibility on direct bookings already. But I take it carriers would also like this ability on other channels, and the bit of bumpf I quoted re the NDC suggests it offers just that sort of capacity over the GDSes.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 12:46 pm
Suspended

Programs: BAEC
Surprised no one has picked up on this yet... but from next year HBO fares won't be available except direct or through NDC channels, meaning the charge will be even higher with an enforced trade-up to Plus for shorthaul.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 1:17 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by LordBuckethead
Surprised no one has picked up on this yet... but from next year HBO fares won't be available except direct or through NDC channels, meaning the charge will be even higher with an enforced trade-up to Plus for shorthaul.
However Basic fares also move from being Private to Public fares and combinable, so INV here we all come. For most FTers I don't think it matters (given how few questions we get on on non NDC channels), mostly FTers are unaffected. Another mini snippet is that they are adding more pricing points, so less of the clunky £20 jumps when O starts to sell out.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 2:43 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Here's the big change for anyone who wants to price compare or understand availability:

"NDC is an XML standard.."

That's probably the only actual advantage to anyone; the actual protocols and data formats in GDS systems are horrible to implement.

"..that enables airlines to deliver richer and dynamic content where price is ultimately related to a traveller’s value."

For "traveller value" read "traveller wealth". So rather than presenting a price that is standard for all customers, this will allow airlines to present a different price quote aimed exactly at each traveller; exactly what each traveller will pay. I expect it will be internally quantised in £5 increments or so, but it is a world where the only question you can ask the airline is "how much for this seat on this route?" rather than a GDS where you can ask "What fares are available, with what restrictions, and how many seats for each of those fares?" and make your decision with more information.

"It shifts control over pricing from a traditional published process to a dynamic response controlled by the airlines."

So, airlines can move the price around much faster than they can with a GDS, making it harder to compare or consider a decision.

NDC will greatly increase the information asymmetry in airline pricing, in favour of the airlines. NDC is not looking like it will be good for anyone who wants to analyse fares for good deals or work out complex sets of possibilities for air travel, i.e. almost everyone who contributes to this forum.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.