Wiki Posts
Search

Where to put spectacles in Club World?

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2017, 4:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, M&M FF
Where to put spectacles in Club World?

I have very short sight, and need to wear spectacles while awake. In BA's CW seat, there is no obvious place to leave spectacles while asleep. I resort to balacing them on the armrest, but fear crushing them. Is there a better solution that anyone has found, that leaves them easily accessible on waking?
Old May 25, 2017, 4:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
I would hang the spectacle arm over the divider, it will barely interrupt your seating partner and will be safe.

If on a 787 then the "E" seat has it's own side shelf ideal for glasses etc
Old May 25, 2017, 4:20 am

Programs: BA GCH
I usually use the floor drawer, but that requires moving at least the foot rest to get to. On everything but the 787, my backup option (if flying the window seat) would be inside the locker under the window.
Old May 25, 2017, 4:21 am

Originally Posted by patentlyobvious
I have very short sight, and need to wear spectacles while awake. In BA's CW seat, there is no obvious place to leave spectacles while asleep. I resort to balacing them on the armrest, but fear crushing them. Is there a better solution that anyone has found, that leaves them easily accessible on waking?
If you are short sighted then surely just put them in the drawer? When you wake, you can sit your seat up to gain access.
Old May 25, 2017, 4:22 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Can't you put them back in the glasses case and keep them on the seat with you? or the arm rest.
Old May 25, 2017, 4:22 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
I give them to my wife....

... and she puts them in a hard case which goes by her side or on the "armrest"
Old May 25, 2017, 4:23 am

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
I have exactly the same issue nowadays (never used to be a problem!) and it's really frustrating.

The slide-out storage under the table is inaccessible when the seat is in bed mode and the armrests move, risking crushing my glasses when reclining.

I usually have a jacket with me when travelling, so I tend to hang my jacket behind my head on the side of the seat, put my glasses in their case and put the case in the inside pocket of my jacket.

It's generally annoying and clearly wasn't thought through properly when the seat was designed.
Old May 25, 2017, 4:23 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
I am similarly short sighted and need glasses. I have my glasses case with me when I travel, so I put them in there and then place the case on the armrest next to the divider. They are then very handy if I need to get up, but still protected.
Old May 25, 2017, 4:31 am

Programs: Lemonia. Best Greek ever.
I always carry 2 hard glasses cases with me for my 2 sets of glasses. Then they can fall wherever they want to, as long as they stay away from the seat mechanisms!!
Old May 25, 2017, 4:42 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I don't wear spectacles, but what I've seen some frequent flyers do is to fully close the CW table into the take off position, then open it a few centimetres, so it forms a V like shape. Place spectacles into spectacle case and then put the case into the V. It needs to be in a case since in the dark a helpful cabin crew member may try to slide the tray full inwards. It also prevents you from leaving your spectacles behind since the V is very visible from the seat.
Old May 25, 2017, 4:54 am

Originally Posted by mikeyfly
I would hang the spectacle arm over the divider, it will barely interrupt your seating partner and will be safe.
A little quirk of mine is that I don't really like it when my seating neighbour hangs things on the divide. I realise this is a detail, but to me it somehow feels intrusive like my personal space is being encroached on. My neighbour hung his headphones over the divide and it was extremely close to my field of vision to the IFE which I also found irritating. I'm sorry to say even a spectacle arm would grate a little!
Old May 25, 2017, 4:58 am

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I don't wear spectacles, but what I've seen some frequent flyers do is to fully close the CW table into the take off position, then open it a few centimetres, so it forms a V like shape. Place spectacles into spectacle case and then put the case into the V. It needs to be in a case since in the dark a helpful cabin crew member may try to slide the tray full inwards. It also prevents you from leaving your spectacles behind since the V is very visible from the seat.
This is exactly the other thing I do sometimes! I have had a crew member trying to close the table while I'm asleep before hence my current reluctance
Old May 25, 2017, 5:03 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
I put them in my shoes, in the drawer
Old May 25, 2017, 5:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
The joys of the CW seat, where there's really nowhere to put anything apart from the floor-level drawer!

As a user of reading glasses, I have a simple system. When flying, I always wear a shirt with a breast pocket. That then contains passport, BP and reading glasses. A second pair [in case] lives in my carry-on.
Old May 25, 2017, 5:08 am

Originally Posted by Flexible preferences
A little quirk of mine is that I don't really like it when my seating neighbour hangs things on the divide. I realise this is a detail, but to me it somehow feels intrusive like my personal space is being encroached on. My neighbour hung his headphones over the divide and it was extremely close to my field of vision to the IFE which I also found irritating. I'm sorry to say even a spectacle arm would grate a little!
And in such cases, I have dispatched said items back to the space of their owner. CW is cramped enough to be encroached upon by others.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.