Wiki Posts
Search

HELP! Travelling alone at 16

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2017, 5:19 pm
Original Poster

HELP! Travelling alone at 16

Hello.
My name is Hana and I am currently 16 years old. I'm going to be travelling with British Airways to America (ATL) in the summer, but I will be travelling alone. I have booked ticket, my ESTA has been accepted and I have checked everything about extra paperwork I may need.
I wanted to ask, is there any type of consent form needed from my guardians? And, will I need to explain anything to the people at the border control in America? I'm very nervous about flying alone, so I really wanted some advice and help on what to do once I get there, and tips in general
Thank you!
Old May 24, 2017, 5:35 pm

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by SigmaScy
I wanted to ask, is there any type of consent form needed from my guardians?
Check age requirements for hotels (car rentals won't be an issue given that you probably don't have a full driving license).

Originally Posted by SigmaScy
And, will I need to explain anything to the people at the border control in America?
If they ask questions, answer truthfully. Being caught lying gets you into real trouble.

In most cases, border control will ask questions that essential boil down to chitchat: "How long do you plan on staying?" "Where are you staying?" "Purpose of visit?".
Old May 24, 2017, 5:43 pm

Programs: BAEC, LHM&M, and even a dusty KLFB!
Hi there,

#1 - welcome to FlyerTalk.

#2 - you shouldn't need a letter from your guardians for going to the US.

#3 - US immigration will likely ask you why you're coming to the US, so be prepared to have any paperwork with you to evidence that - whether it's information about an event you're going to, invitation emails from friends, confirmation from where you're staying etc etc...

#4 - try not to be nervous. if you can negotiate the London Underground, then negotiating Heathrow and Atlanta airports should be a doddle! Seriously, there's nothing to worry about, just follow the signs, ask for help if you need it, and relax ;-)

Enjoy your visit, and your flights!
Old May 24, 2017, 5:58 pm

Programs: IHG Spire | Marriott Plat | UA Plat | AA Plat Pro
US Immigration will ask what the purpose of your trip is, do not lie as being caught lying will most likely end up with you being sent back to the UK.

Make sure that the purpose of your trip is covered by the allowed activities (example would be tourism) for entry with an ESTA or if you need to apply for an additional visa. You may be asked where you will stay and if they have their contact information; note that hotels do not allow you to check-in by yourself if you are not 18 or 21 depending on the area.

Originally Posted by WorldLux
Check age requirements for hotels (car rentals won't be an issue given that you probably don't have a full driving license).
Car rentals won't be a problem since the minimum age is 25 for all types of cars, with 21-24 year olds being allowed to rent certain budget types in certain cities.
Old May 24, 2017, 8:33 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Welcome. You have certainly come to the right place for advice. Of course, if I apply the stereotypical teenager approach to you, I would also recommend looking for any YouTube videos on the procedures.

One key piece of advice I can offer is this: in the event of any issues just come back here and ask as soon as possible. You will be given clear advice from real experts who travel day in day out and know the systems - often much better than the airline or airport staff themselves.

In the meantime if you have any specific questions feel free to ask. Enjoy your travels which Ibassume are a post GCSE trip.
Old May 25, 2017, 1:16 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Here is one of the official videos about immigration and customs into the USA:

You will have to know the address you are staying at in the USA (at least on the first night, if you are moving around). It also helps to know how much money you have on you (just a rough count is OK) since that is a common question.

If you are bringing any food at all, even things like chocolate as a present or something very English like shortbread biscuits and jam, do tick the box on the form and tell the officials if they ask about bringing any food - they don't mind that sort of thing but they do get grumpy you don't tell them about it.

The general airport experience at both ends, and the US immigration experience, is quite well signposted, they're used to people arriving and being a bit uncertain what to do. So just look around for the signs or the most obvious way to go and it goes fairly smoothly.

Good luck, enjoy your trip.
Old May 25, 2017, 1:35 am

Programs: BAEC Gold [>20k Lifetime TPs] | Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond [as is Mrs PtF] | Various Others
Originally Posted by TravelwhileyouEat

Car rentals won't be a problem since the minimum age is 25 for all types of cars, with 21-24 year olds being allowed to rent certain budget types in certain cities.
That didn't stop Master PtF renting a Ford Mustang in Los Angeles two summers ago at the tender age of 19 years and 1 month.
Old May 25, 2017, 1:44 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Welcome to Flyertalk and the BA forum SigmaScy, and I'm sure you are very much looking forward to your flight. And so you should, later in life you are likely to develop a fond set of recollections from this trip.

Largely it is intuitive and I wouldn't want it to come across as being a complicated or difficult endeavour. ATL airport will require some patience, however, it's not my favourite USA airport though it's not complicated, just poorly laid out, but once you have done that everything else will be a doddle.

Though you don't need a consent form, and in fact it's not so unusual for 16 year olds to fly unaccompanied, nevertheless I think it would be prudent for you to carry a brief letter from your parents or guardians. This would have your name and passport number, just explaining you are travelling alone for such and such purpose (holiday, work camp or whatever), and provide their contact telephone numbers. It almost certainly won't be necessary, and I'd only volunteer that you had it if the person you are dealing with shows some doubts about the situation, but it may be useful. In fact, assuming that you are returning to the UK, it may make it easier at the UK Border, since Border Force officials are on the look out for child trafficking and such a letter may speed things up a bit. Definitely not a requirement, but it wouldn't take a few minutes to sort this out.
Old May 25, 2017, 2:01 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC Silver
I was 16 when I first travelled alone to the US (also first visit to the US ever). The only thing that surprised me was the number of questions they asked me at immigration (not so surprising now), at that time I'd only been to countries where they don't routinely ask questions (e.g. the EU, South east Asia, Japan).

"Where are you staying?"
"at a family friend's"
"how do you know the friend?"
"...they're my parents' friend" (how would I know how they met like 20 years ago?)
Old May 25, 2017, 2:01 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Welcome to Flyertalk and the BA forum SigmaScy, and I'm sure you are very much looking forward to your flight. And so you should, later in life you are likely to develop a fond set of recollections from this trip.

Largely it is intuitive and I wouldn't want it to come across as being a complicated or difficult endeavour. ATL airport will require some patience, however, it's not my favourite USA airport though it's not complicated, just poorly laid out, but once you have done that everything else will be a doddle.

Though you don't need a consent form, and in fact it's not so unusual for 16 year olds to fly unaccompanied, nevertheless I think it would be prudent for you to carry a brief letter from your parents or guardians. This would have your name and passport number, just explaining you are travelling alone for such and such purpose (holiday, work camp or whatever), and provide their contact telephone numbers. It almost certainly won't be necessary, and I'd only volunteer that you had it if the person you are dealing with shows some doubts about the situation, but it may be useful. In fact, assuming that you are returning to the UK, it may make it easier at the UK Border, since Border Force officials are on the look out for child trafficking and such a letter may speed things up a bit. Definitely not a requirement, but it wouldn't take a few minutes to sort this out.
Yes about the UK, I have seen border force asking several guardians/parents to prove that they are either the parents of the minors in question or have permission to travel with them, so a letter will be useful in this case.
Old May 25, 2017, 3:11 am

Programs: BA Bronze
My daughter had a 'well done on your GCSEs' solo trip to NYC when she was 16.
She had never flown solo before and it was perfectly fine - OK so it was 2001 but I don't think flying has changed considerably since then. The obvious changes would be security procedures and a heightened awareness of child trafficking, it would be wise to get a letter from your guardians (as per corporate-wage-slave's advice).
Enjoy your trip !
Old May 25, 2017, 6:00 am

Programs: Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, BA Silver, Hertz President's Club
Re: UK Border Force
I flew back in Jan 2017 from the USA; at the time I was 16 as well. When I arrived at LHR T3, I proceeded to use the 'e-passport gates' which are for 'anyone age 18+' or '12+ with accompanying adult'. However, I didn't have any trouble going through by myself; nor did I get questioned in the process. I would imagine this would be the same/similar at T5.

I can't comment arrival into the USA as I was on a returning ESTA (I presume you're a first time visitor to the USA?) and therefore I went through Automated Passport Control. The questions you'll be asked is 'who/where are you staying' and details about you on your passport; nothing to be afraid of. They won't deny entry unless they have a serious cause of concern of your presence in the US.
Old May 25, 2017, 6:07 am

Programs: BA
In addition to the age requirements on any hotels, they'll likely require a credit card on file with them (even if you've paid in advance). I doubt you can get your own credit card at 16, but is a second card from one of your parent/guardians's accounts a possibility ?

That might also provide you with a safety net should you need it.

When I first traveled (and worked) in the US as a young(ish) post-doc I always carried photocopies of important documents. I think these days (that was in the late 90s) I'd suggest keeping a digital copy of important things (passport photo page, evidence of an address in the UK, evidence of why you are in the US) on your smart phone as PDFs. Consider putting these files on a secure Cloud location which you could access from anywhere.

Travel insurance is vital for being in the US.

You are also likely to be asked about financial security - ie how will you support yourself while there. These days I would not suggest travelers cheques, but perhaps a preloaded FX credit card, and a few hundred in notes for your first few days. If you are using a UK debit card tell your bank in advance of your plans. They may still block your card after it's first use, but a phone call to their international number (note this down) will unlock it.

Print out your entire itinerary, keep a digital copy with you, and leave copies with your parents/guardian so they know where you are supposed to be.

Consider roaming on your smartphone for when you first arrive, or buying a cheap US SIM to enable 4G internet access to keep in contact / tell people you are safe.

ATL is a sprawling airport, but easy to get through.

Best of luck - as pointed out above - come back to flyertalk for help on travel matters!

edit

Can I make a wild stab that you are going to the US for summer camp teaching/coaching, and will be met at the airport ? If so, a lot of the things (eg hotel credit card) aren't relevant.
Old May 25, 2017, 6:25 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by TravelwhileyouEat
Outside the US there are not too many fully licensed 16-year old drivers
Old May 25, 2017, 6:34 am

May I add my welcome. All tremendous advice above. Do enjoy your trip! What to add...

If you haven't already got an account with the Executive Club, do get signed up. I believe you'll need to be added to a household account to do this at 16 but you'll earn avios for any cash bookings, saving up a little for that next adventure. You won't be able to redeem avios until you are 18.

Perhaps you might want to do a little trip report for other young travelers in the same shoes. I'm sure you'll find it all very easy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.