Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Need advice please [getting qualifying flights in the US]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Need advice please [getting qualifying flights in the US]

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2017, 3:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC
Question Need advice please [getting qualifying flights in the US]

I was GGL for many years while living in Europe. This year I had a soft landing to Silver. I'm now living in to USA (since 2016) and only flying domestic. I earned enough tier point to keep my status in 2016, but did not fly the 4 qualifying BA flights. Again I will be flying enough to earn the tier points in 2017. I have tried to book the domestic flights on BA.com but they state they do not have traffic rights to operate directly between two use city's.

Now call me old fashioned, but I would really like to stay with BAEC rather than change my loyalty program.

So my question is, how do I, or is it even possible to get those 4 qualifying BA flights when I'm only flying domestic in the USA?

Any and all advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance. A
Old May 21, 2017, 3:20 pm
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
You cannot book a BA code without a TATL.
Old May 21, 2017, 4:06 pm

Programs: BAEC, LHM&M, and even a dusty KLFB!
Yes, unfortunately, none of the BA codeshares on US domestic flights, or even on flights from the US to destinations elsewhere in the Americas (eg from MIA), can be booked as standalones.

You options will be to either fly across the pond on a BA code, or - if you happen to be in the Caribbean - to use some of the BA-operated 5th freedom end sector flights (eg Antigua-Providenciales, or Nassau-Grand Cayman).
Old May 21, 2017, 11:12 pm

Programs: BA Gold, VX Gold
It's an expensive option, but you can book a codeshare connecting flight within the US in conjunction with a transatlantic leg, take the first domestic flight and then just throw away the rest of the ticket (making sure you don't check any luggage). But I doubt anyone would bother doing this four times to get the requisite number of flights.
Old May 21, 2017, 11:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC
Thanks for the advice. Much appreciated. A
Old May 22, 2017, 12:02 am

You need 4 flights,BA,IB or codeshares.You cannot book the BA codeshares as stand alone US flights as that would fall foul of the US cabotage laws.You can book the intra carribean flights or flights to Europe with either BA or IB.
Old May 22, 2017, 12:12 am

Programs: BA Gold
Sounds like you need jump on a plane and get a fix of fish, chips, cup 'o tea, bad food, worse weather, Mary Poppins...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.