Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Can Aer Lingus at Cork issue my BA LHR-HKG boarding pass?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2017, 12:29 am
Original Poster

I booked a single one-way ticket.

The Cork to Heathrow flight is on Aer Lingus.

The Heathrow to Hong Kong flight is on BA.

When I check in at Cork, can Aer Lingus issue me my BA boarding pass?

Thanks!
Old May 21, 2017, 2:18 am

Programs: AA ExecPlatinum; AF Silver; HH Diamond; IHG Spire; MB Platinum; Avis President; and, Hertz President
Am assuming the EI segment is a codeshare and has a BA flt number? That being the case you'll be checking in with BA (or it's agent/handler, which may well be EI at Cork) for a BA flight ORK-LHR-HKG and should receive both boarding cards and have your bag checked all the way to HKG.

I haven't done that from Cork but have done it from SNN where the check-in was with EI and from DUB where the check-in was handled by Swissport.

The worst case I've experienced is that they tell you (because of some systems issue) to pick up the second boarding card at LHR but even then they have always checked my bag to the final destination.

Hope that helps.
Old May 21, 2017, 2:44 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
If you are on an EI flight to LHR then no, you will not be able to retrieve your BP at ORK. However, there is nothing stopping you from checking in online and printing your BP or use the BA App.

Either way, on arrival at LHR you will need to collect any checked luggage and recheck it.
Old May 21, 2017, 2:50 am

Originally Posted by MikeWhiskey
Am assuming the EI segment is a codeshare and has a BA flt number? That being the case you'll be checking in with BA (or it's agent/handler, which may well be EI at Cork) for a BA flight ORK-LHR-HKG and should receive both boarding cards and have your bag checked all the way to HKG.
BA doesn't operate ORK-LHR. Therefore OP's flight, whether booked under a BA or EI flight number, will be operated by EI.

You always check in at the airport of departure with the operating carrier of the flight. Therefore OP would go to the EI (or EI handler's) check-in desk at ORK - not BA's.

Whether that desk can provide the onward BA boarding pass I don't know, but as Tobias says OP should be able to retrieve this online.
Old May 21, 2017, 3:26 am

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, BD Blue (RIP)
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
If you are on an EI flight to LHR then no, you will not be able to retrieve your BP at ORK. However, there is nothing stopping you from checking in online and printing your BP or use the BA App.

Either way, on arrival at LHR you will need to collect any checked luggage and recheck it.
Hang on? If it's a through ticket he'll be able to do both surely. There must be at least half a dozen people on every ORK-LHR flight connecting to BA's network.
Old May 21, 2017, 3:33 am

Originally Posted by sigma421
Hang on? If it's a through ticket he'll be able to do both surely. There must be at least half a dozen people on every ORK-LHR flight connecting to BA's network.
Yes, if it is a through ticket. The OP said he'd purchased a single one-way ticket on Aer Lingus. If this is a through ticket there is no problem in having his BP issued and bags checked through to SIN.
Old May 21, 2017, 7:24 am

I haven't flown ORK-LHR with an onward connection via BA but have done it plenty of times with KLM/Delta (via AMS) and VS (via LHR). They *typically* were able to provide me with the boarding pass for the remaining flights but there were also instances when that wasn't possible (reasons unclear).

I wouldn't rely on it (like say book a connection in LHR without the time to collect new BPs if necessary) but I also would think there's a good chance you will get your BP in ORK.

For the record, there is no BA presence whatsoever at ORK, so no BA counters, BA check-in desks or anything.
Old May 21, 2017, 9:05 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
Yes, if it is a through ticket. The OP said he'd purchased a single one-way ticket on Aer Lingus. If this is a through ticket there is no problem in having his BP issued and bags checked through to SIN.
sorry, I should have said the Aer Lingus and BA flights are on one ticket. (showing travel from Cork to London to Hong Kong.... first flight has Aer Lingus flight number on their own metal)

Why would they check my bags to SIN?
Old May 21, 2017, 9:29 am

Originally Posted by WalterSFO
sorry, I should have said the Aer Lingus and BA flights are on one ticket. (showing travel from Cork to London to Hong Kong.... first flight has Aer Lingus flight number on their own metal)

Oops

I was actually booking a SIN flight earlier so that stuck in my mind. So yes, you should be able to check you bag all the way and receive your BP to HKG ^
Old May 21, 2017, 10:34 am

Programs: Meh

You can get BP and checked luggage all the way through.
Old May 21, 2017, 11:15 am

I've taken that exact route (ORK-LHR-HKG) before on EI and BA, and my bag was checked through no problem. I likely got my boarding pass on the BA app, so I'm not sure about Aer Lingus issuing you with the BA pass.
Old May 22, 2017, 4:01 am

Programs: Aer Lingus Concierge, Radisson Rewards Platinum, BW Diamond, Hilton Gold
EI will issue the boarding pass and will do the visa check in ORK also, bags go straight through

Best ensure you have selected a seat in the BA app as EI may not be able to offer seat selection on BA at the desk.

Reverse also works most of the time, but not always.

BAEC Silver or better, Jack Lynch Lounge in ORK, no guest
Old May 22, 2017, 10:13 am

Typically yes, EI will give you your BA BP for the ex LHR flight (I've had issues with AA ORK-LHR-USA but never BA). Note, however, if you're in a premium cabin and go landside the LHR ground staff may be confused by your EI issued BP as it won't look like you're eligible for fast track or anything and sometimes the lounge and gate attendants will give you a look.

When I go ORK to connect at LHR and go landside for whatever reason (that reason is invariably a smoke) I have the BA counter print me a new BP to make things a bit easier.
Old May 22, 2017, 11:01 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ROKNA
EI will issue the boarding pass and will do the visa check in ORK also, bags go straight through

Best ensure you have selected a seat in the BA app as EI may not be able to offer seat selection on BA at the desk.
I managed to to speak with a live EI employee at Cork airport.(as opposed to phone agent who never seem to give a definitive answer) She assured me that they would be the ones printing my BA boarding pass and forwarding my bags to the BA flight. She also said the there would be no problem if I wanted to select/change seat assignment on my BA flight. She even went so far as to give me her name and mobile number, just in case. When I mentioned I was arriving in Ireland on another airline, she told me to bring a jacket because apparently it's chilly over there. (it's 97 degrees in the US right now)
Old May 22, 2017, 11:13 am

I managed to to speak with a live EI employee at Cork airport.(as opposed to phone agent who never seem to give a definitive answer) She assured me that they would be the ones printing my BA boarding pass and forwarding my bags to the BA flight. She also said the there would be no problem if I wanted to select/change seat assignment on my BA flight. She even went so far as to give me her name and mobile number, just in case. When I mentioned I was arriving in Ireland on another airline, she told me to bring a jacket because apparently it's chilly over there. (it's 97 degrees in the US right now)
I'm not surprised in the least. The EI ORK ground staff are absolute gems.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.