Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Who only drinks Champagne when in a BA lounge or aircraft?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Who only drinks Champagne when in a BA lounge or aircraft?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2019, 12:50 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, A3 Gold
When my travelling companion and I fly into T5 we go to Galleries N and order a glass of champas. If there is still breakfast, I get a bowl of oatmeal to enjoy with the champas. Otherwise I have whatever is on offer.BUT, with her I always have a champas. She has learned to enjoy it too, no matter when she flies into LHR ^
Old Apr 4, 2019, 12:55 pm

Programs: BA Bronze
I thought I was a complete chav about wine and particularly Champagne but it turns out I’m not.
Although I am completely ignorant about names etc I seem to like ‘nice’ champagne- I do only drink it onboard but couldn’t even drink a whole glass of the CW offering as it was really not good.
My current favourite drink will never darken the BA universe as it is a Polish Pilsner
Old Apr 4, 2019, 2:06 pm

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by dsf
Am I alone in being confused by the ambiguity of the question? If it's "who drinks nothing but champagne when in a BA lounge/aircraft?" then I'm a yes ~95% of the time; but if it's "who doesn't drink champagne unless in a BA lounge/aircraft?" then I'm a no.
Snap!

I interpreted it as the latter.

If (1) then, no, I prefer G&T

If (2) then, no, I drink champagne at home too sometimes!
Old Apr 4, 2019, 3:21 pm

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
On BA F I used to just drink LPGS. Maybe a couple of glasses of scotch if I needed knocking out.

However I recently flew a couple of EK F legs and came off the Dom sharpish after seeing the wine list. Not to mention to 40yr old Ports and Hennessy Paradis...

Dambus, DYKWIA, orbitmic and 3 others like this.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 5:08 pm

Programs: Mucci de Guardian des Celliers des Grands Crus 1e Classé, plus BAEC.
Originally Posted by Padmeister
An old mate of mine from years ago used to describe Champagne as "Fizzy Piss" and couldn't see what all the fuss was about
See lager up thread 😀
Padmeister likes this.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 5:12 pm

Programs: Mucci de Guardian des Celliers des Grands Crus 1e Classé, plus BAEC.
Originally Posted by Wozza2404
On BA F I used to just drink LPGS. Maybe a couple of glasses of scotch if I needed knocking out.

However I recently flew a couple of EK F legs and came off the Dom sharpish after seeing the wine list. Not to mention to 40yr old Ports and Hennessy Paradis...

Dom is perfect distraction chaff for the magpies, while you order another glass of Mouton!
Old Apr 4, 2019, 6:08 pm

Programs: BA Silver, A3
It still astounds me when I read of someone drinking 4 g&ts followed by 4 champagnes even before they board. Even when it's on tap I would consider that way over what I could be bothered to drink. Maybe I am the exception?
On my last flight LHR to DXB I refused the third glass, even though I love the stuff!
HIDDY, tmac100, orbitmic and 1 others like this.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 6:12 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold but PlatPro thanks to LPs
None, ever. I like being clear-headed.
HIDDY likes this.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 6:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Stormbel
It still astounds me when I read of someone drinking 4 g&ts followed by 4 champagnes even before they board. Even when it's on tap I would consider that way over what I could be bothered to drink. Maybe I am the exception?
I'm certainly not a big drinker even when it's there for the taking....never have been. Coffee is a different story.
T8191 likes this.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 12:30 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
This thread has been around some while but when I saw it again, I was unsure if the OP meant whether people here drink Champagne only when they’re aboard a BA aircraft, or whether they drink nothing but Champagne aboard a BA aircraft. I drink it anywhere. Fortunately, I am not cursed with a big label mentality and actually prefer wines from small producers (recoltants producteurs). Since I long came to the conclusion that for all the talk, most people have no idea what they’re drinking, that ultimately the best is what you enjoy. The myth that if it’s expensive it must be good is exactly that an illusion of clever marketing and a form of status symbolism. How common I am used to be a secret shared by my husband and the dustman. Now I am safe despatching Him Indoors to the recycle bin knowing that no ne can espy that I drink Champagne which few outside France have ever heard.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 12:57 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier des Internautes Amables; BAEC
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
This thread has been around some while but when I saw it again, I was unsure if the OP meant whether people here drink Champagne only when they’re aboard a BA aircraft, or whether they drink nothing but Champagne aboard a BA aircraft. I drink it anywhere. Fortunately, I am not cursed with a big label mentality and actually prefer wines from small producers (recoltants producteurs). Since I long came to the conclusion that for all the talk, most people have no idea what they’re drinking, that ultimately the best is what you enjoy. The myth that if it’s expensive it must be good is exactly that an illusion of clever marketing and a form of status symbolism. How common I am used to be a secret shared by my husband and the dustman. Now I am safe despatching Him Indoors to the recycle bin knowing that no ne can espy that I drink Champagne which few outside France have ever heard.
A nice Blanquette de Limoux, with its apple freshness bouquet, is often just what is required. But for Champagne I would get really excited if I saw a bottle of Champagne Eric Rodez Blanc de Noirs on the wine list...drunk in a tulip glass, not a flute, naturelement!
Old Apr 5, 2019, 1:12 am

Programs: BAEC Silver,, Oman Air Gold
I drink Champagne when I'm happy and when I'm sad. Sometimes I drink it when I'm alone. When I have company I consider it obligatory. I trifle with it if I'm not hungry and drink it when I am. Otherwise, I never touch it -- unless I'm thirsty”

Madame Lily Bollinger
House of Bollinger Champagne

I’ve got my first First coming up in a fortnight so I’m looking forward to trying the LPGS and seeing what all this fuss is about...
nachosdelux and SaraJH like this.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 1:53 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hotels.com Gold
Sometimes Fizz (if champers, not keen on BA cava)
Sometimes Wine (not very often)
Sometimes G+T (only 1) if on late flight
Normally Tea (yesterday 2 cups)
Stormbel likes this.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 2:00 am

Programs: BA Gold / OW Emerald
I don't usually drink champagne or fizz, except on aircrafts and when someone else pops a bottle for a meal. I usually prefer to drink wine with a meal, or have a good whisky or beer on its own. As BA's offering falls a bit flat for both, champagne works for me.
tmac100 likes this.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 5:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
Not limiting myself to only drinking champagne in BA lounges and aircrafts. I've had champers in all OW partners lounges/planes, but for S7 and LA, with whom I haven't had the pleasure yet. On second thought, the RJ lounge in AMM did not have any
Sealink likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.