Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Who only drinks Champagne when in a BA lounge or aircraft?

Who only drinks Champagne when in a BA lounge or aircraft?

Old May 21, 2017, 4:15 am

Programs: BA GGL, Gold for Life, CCR, VS Silver, HHonours Diamond
First thing I do in the lounge is head for the champagne. Then find a seat. 3-4 glasses is general lounge consumption.

First thing I do on the aircraft is ask for the champagne. Quantity depends entirely on the route and flight time.

Champagne never seems to affect me like spirits and some wines.

Only drink champagne at home on special occasions.

Does that make ne a bad person???
Old May 21, 2017, 4:19 am

Programs: BA Gold, KFC 'The Colonel's Club' Palladium tier, Mucci des Visions Célestes du Nord-Pas-de-Calais
Originally Posted by LHR FLYER
I'm very fortunate that alcohol puts me to sleep like a baby. Usually on the SIN -LHR flight I have four champagnes and four G&Ts in the lounge. Add another champagne and a G&T when boarding, once I put the club seat into bed mode after takeoff I need to be woken up by the CC that we're arriving into London. Sleeping usually 10 -12 hours out of the 13 hour flights is fantastic.
Apart from that I never touch the champagne outside the airport / aircraft.
This is huge - how do you get a G&T as a PDB?!
Old May 21, 2017, 4:31 am

I occasionally have it at home when celebrating something. I always have some when flying premium. When flying back from MIA recently my partner's glass of LPGS was caught by the sun's rays through his windows (he was in 2A and I in 2K) and it looked like a glowing glass of golden sunshine against the darker cabin interior - really quite striking! Didn't last long though
Old May 21, 2017, 4:38 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by choosethedrew
This is huge - how do you get a G&T as a PDB?!
Fly Qatar.
Old May 21, 2017, 4:44 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by TabTraveller
Fly Qatar.
Good luck with that, on some routes you can't even get a glass of champagne.
Old May 21, 2017, 5:35 am

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, AC, WS, MR TIT
Originally Posted by HIDDY
Come to think about it...I do.
When I am in the Concorde room or the First lounge I do only drink champagne @:-)
Old May 21, 2017, 5:40 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
Seemed perfectly happy to serve me a G&T on my last 8 sectors with them. Perhaps local laws in some locations prevent this?
Old May 21, 2017, 5:50 am

Location: Manchester but from Yorkshire better known as Gods country
Programs: BA Gold, , Sandals plat
I do, but what would I would really prefer is a good cask conditioned beer. Still mustn't complain as I've just done a couple of flights on MH around Asia and even in business they were "dry" flights. The other half waS horrified ��
Old May 21, 2017, 5:52 am

Programs: EI AerClub Concierge, EK Gold, BA Gold, BD Gold (Retired), HHonors Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by LHR FLYER
I'm very fortunate that alcohol puts me to sleep like a baby. Usually on the SIN -LHR flight I have four champagnes and four G&Ts in the lounge. Add another champagne and a G&T when boarding, once I put the club seat into bed mode after takeoff I need to be woken up by the CC that we're arriving into London. Sleeping usually 10 -12 hours out of the 13 hour flights is fantastic.
Apart from that I never touch the champagne outside the airport / aircraft.
Hmmm, I guess I must be even more fortunate than you. 5 glasses of champagne and 5 G&Ts would put me to sleep less like a baby and more like a corpse!
choosethedrew likes this.
Old May 21, 2017, 6:03 am

Programs: BA GOLD/OWE BA Amex Prem Plus Tesco Airmiles Qantas Bronze IHG SPG Eithad
Definately a few in the lounge LGPS, tend to stick with that on the aircraft, or may sometimes switch to a chardonnay. Always keep either Lanson or Veuve at home for a weekly sunday consumption.^
Old May 21, 2017, 6:21 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dsf
Am I alone in being confused by the ambiguity of the question? If it's "who drinks nothing but champagne when in a BA lounge/aircraft?" then I'm a yes ~95% of the time; but if it's "who doesn't drink champagne unless in a BA lounge/aircraft?" then I'm a no.
Well spotted.

It was only after I posted it I realised it could be taken either way and by then it was too late as the wife was rushing me to go to bed.....to watch telly. I'm personally not a Champagne drinker and rarely drink it. Last night I was thinking when I had it last and came to the conclusion it must have been about four years ago in the T5 Galleries Club. I've had glasses of the Argentine equivalent at bashes but that doesn't count.
Old May 21, 2017, 6:25 am

Programs: BA Bronze
Originally Posted by T8191
We are not natural Champagne drinkers ... even Cava or Prosecco rarely feature in our drinking habits. BUT, when going on holiday, a glass or three in the Lounge and on-board seems to get proceedings off to an appropriate level of festiveness. Then it's still wine with the meal, of course, and in my case possibly followed by Port [if I'm not driving at the other end].

And despite what Yachtman and missdemeaner observed, I find my advanced age no barrier to my consumption
Ah - not my age but who I travel with as (nearly) all my family are tea total and I don't want to look or feel like a huge 'alky' !
In the lounges it just doesn't feel as bad (and I'm pouring my own drink which isn't champagne!)
Old May 21, 2017, 6:29 am

Programs: BA Gold, Mucci
Arrive in the lounge, find the Champagne and have a glass. Maybe a second. Board, and for Club Europe wait. More Champagne. Basically every flight review I ever write is, "Here's Trent drinking more Champagne and here's a picture of each one". I love it! Not because of any thinking around it, it is just nice. I'd choose cocktails if I could but it's the next best thing.

I have some really lush like records that I will not mention with my imbibing on a 1 hour flight that we shouldn't mention here ... But yes, I love it.
Old May 21, 2017, 6:39 am

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
I've never flown BA ex-DOH, but I doubt they serve alcohol on the ground in DOH either.
Old May 21, 2017, 6:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by missdimeaner
Ah - not my age but who I travel with as (nearly) all my family are tea total and I don't want to look or feel like a huge 'alky' !
Ah, my wife is tea total too ... she is totally averse to it, to the point of nausea. She is not, however, teetotal and thus enjoys a Kir Royal (a sneaky way of uplifting cheap Cava )

A bottle of Creme de Cassis lurks in the fridge against the need

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.