Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Who only drinks Champagne when in a BA lounge or aircraft?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Who only drinks Champagne when in a BA lounge or aircraft?

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2017, 10:46 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by eefor jfp
Tried Krug at the CX lounge in T3 and wasn't impressed.
I think similarly about Dom Perignon. I like it but I was never impressed by it. The only time I was truly impressed of a Dom Perignon was when I dug out a 25 year old bottle while moving. That one was excellent.
Old May 21, 2017, 11:05 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
I do drink Champagne at home on occasion, but the way that a bottle must be finished fairly quickly is an impediment; either I'm caning a bottle myself which is not healthy on a regular basis, or I have to persuade some one or two to split it with me.

So it's mostly a special occasion and group drink at home, while when flying (in the premium classes or lounge) I can have 1-2 glasses without the cost being "a bottle that I threw away the rest of", and so I do.

Of course that assumes that drinking while flying is a good idea on that occasion; it may not be, if very fatigued, having to work on the flight, or it being a shorter flight where one has to drive a car or go to an office and work after arriving.

Unless it's some sort of consequence-free leisure experience, I rarely attempt any sort of "8 bottles of Dom" experience.
Old May 21, 2017, 11:41 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by Petrus
Depends on the Champagne.
The more you try over the years (as with everything else) you get to you know your pallet and can distinguish the nasty stuff versus the good stuff.
Waving off Champagne (or fine wine for that matter) as some fancy shmancy gibberish all tastes the same is: 1) an insult to the proprietors and producers 2) shows lack of knowledge and experience about the topic. You haven't tried enough wine.

The cheap stuff usually is full of: bird spilling, parts of snakes, insects etc and little care is taken when harvesting. Selection of grapes is non-existent. The soil is not well kept or nurtured. You reap what you sow. No different from any other farming.
The more care and science that is applied to wine, the better the result.
Some of the wineries I've visited the attention to detail and scientific approach is fascinating, and it shows!

In the last 3-4 years in GF the wines were usually more interesting than the bubbles. In F yes for sure always a glass of LPGS to start, and then it depends on what is on the wine list. Lately, unless in F, BA wine and bubble selection have taken a dive for the worse so these days might stick to water or beer...
Are you sure you mean pallet ? Sounds rather wooden to me. Or perhaps it should be Palete ???
Old May 21, 2017, 11:44 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by TheOldMan
Are you sure you mean pallet ? Sounds rather wooden to me. Or perhaps it should be Palete ???
... or indeed palate, if straw is not your thing?
Old May 21, 2017, 12:51 pm
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by Tiffywren
Petrus, not sure if your comment was aimed at me but I never said it was 'fancy shmancy gibberish that all tastes the same'. My self-deprecating comment was meant to be a little tongue in cheek... I'm the first to admit that although I enjoy 'fizz' I have little experience to distinguish what's good and what's better. I don't have a particularly good sense of smell and that may or may not be linked to an inability to distinguish subtle flavours.
I doubt it, Love. It's probably more me than anyone. The problem with a lot of what you drink or eat aboard an aircraft loses it's taste at altitude. The combination of dryness and low pressure reduces the sensitivity of your taste buds to sweet and salty foods by around 30% I understand.

When I was with BCAL we served Krug in First Class -( it is, for me, the King of Champagnes. Only Comtes de Champagne from Tattinger comes close). We never ran out of things back then - or I can't remember us so doing - that started when BA took over. If we did, I (and others) used to fill the glasses in the galley with the Club Champagne. No one ever commented as I am certain that after a fair time in the air, they couldn't tell.

The saddest job in the world was having to tip what was left down the sink before landing, but that is another story.
Sealink likes this.
Old May 21, 2017, 2:01 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
... or indeed palate, if straw is not your thing?
Yes, sorry. Bit of a typo there.
Old May 21, 2017, 2:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Amtrak, WN
What a good idea for a thread! Aside from toasts and weddings, basically all of my champagne consumption occurs in lounges and on flights.

IMHO, it just tastes better at the airport or on a plane. Maybe it's because it's "complimentary," or because I have a positive association with flying in my head.
Old May 21, 2017, 4:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: Enrich Sapphire. Kris Flyer Silver.Le Club Accorhotels,Starwood.
I am a male model a couple of times a year so when I am invited to fashion shows, I go dressed up in expensive jeans, flash trainers or really, really expensive leather shoes made in London, and a nice polo shirt and carry on leather bag that makes golfers look at the bag several times in envy. It's a dark brown type bag.

I demand champagne in the lounge and when I walk into business class before take off. And continue again before my meal and after my meal before taking a nice nap.

And again before landing.

It is the difference between a man of class and everyone else who prefer to get drunk on cheap whiskey.
Sealink likes this.
Old May 21, 2017, 4:57 pm

My trolldar is beeping
Old May 21, 2017, 5:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: Enrich Sapphire. Kris Flyer Silver.Le Club Accorhotels,Starwood.
Originally Posted by Flexible preferences
My trolldar is beeping
An american trolldar?
Old May 21, 2017, 5:09 pm

Programs: BAEC Bronze
Originally Posted by choosethedrew
I have to say I find the LPGS rather dull. Lemony and acidic with no real length or depth. I much prefer Bollinger La Grande Année and that's cheaper as well! On my last flight in First I asked for the Vintage Duval Leroy after one glass of LPGS.

To answer the question/s, I drink champagne on terra firma once a week or so and on BA, I usually progress onto still wines with the food courses.

I couldn't agree more but it's a very subjective thing and LPGS seems to have many fans here. Champagne is my favourite drink and we usually find ourselves opening a bottle of Bollinger /Drappier/Perrier Jouet once a month or so. . In fact flying BA is when I actually drink no or very little champagne as I don't like what's on offer in any of the BA lounges. Whoever is doing the choosing seems to have a very acidic palate - either that or a challenging budget - or both.
Old May 21, 2017, 6:35 pm

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, BA LTG, Hilton Diamond, FB Platinum, EK Gold
Oh, definitely, champagne in the lounge, on board and anywhere else. Don't need an occassion. Absolutely love the bubbly...anytime!
Sealink likes this.
Old May 21, 2017, 6:56 pm

I have never liked Champagne or related beverages such as Prosecco.

On the other hand I find single malts quite attractive.

Can somebody name a Champagne that comes with a guarantee that if I don't like it the issue is personal taste and not the product? As an example, if you don't like Lagavulen 16 the issue is clearly the drinker and not the drink.
Old May 21, 2017, 8:32 pm

Programs: EI AerClub Concierge, EK Gold, BA Gold, BD Gold (Retired), HHonors Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by CALlegacy
I have never liked Champagne or related beverages such as Prosecco.

On the other hand I find single malts quite attractive.

Can somebody name a Champagne that comes with a guarantee that if I don't like it the issue is personal taste and not the product? As an example, if you don't like Lagavulen 16 the issue is clearly the drinker and not the drink.
Krug Clos du Mesnil
Old May 21, 2017, 11:56 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, Radisson VIP
Me ... not! I like to drink a bottle with my OH from time to time. Mostly there is a special occasion, like a pay rise , or then we just drink one anyway. Cheers!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.