Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA's predatory cancellation policy

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2017, 6:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I would say that the statement "There are no refunds except for any government & airport taxes. All sectors may be repriced for changes and/or refunds. " is a great warning to anyone cancelling
Old May 20, 2017, 6:40 pm

Programs: DL, Marriott & IHG Platty; HH Diamonte
Originally Posted by sro1954
With all the negative press about dastardly deeds committed by US domestic carriers, I thought it might be an appropriate time to relate my experiences over the past year with British Airways.

BA began servicing Austin, TX in 2016 with direct flights from Austin to London. Since I and some friends had a European trip planned for June of this year, we agreed to seek a flight on BA out of Austin to avoid flying through DFW, Chicago or New York. I purchased a non-refundable round trip flight for about $2000 US and paid with a credit card. This took place approximately eleven months before the scheduled flight, which, by the way has not occurred yet: it was scheduled for June 9, 2017.

I say “was” because this is where the story gets testy and incredulous. My friends wanted to upgrade to business class with AAdvantage points. It seemed like a good idea since BA and AA are codeshare partners. With this in mind, I called AA. They told me they couldn’t do it because the reservation was locked in their system. I then called BA and was told they couldn’t do it either because I couldn’t spend AA miles on a BA flight. I later found out this was false. Nevertheless, I asked the agent how I could accomplish my goal. She said I would need to rebook on the AA version of the same flight and then they could upgrade me. Just so I understood correctly, I stated, “so what you are saying is that I should cancel my BA flight and rebook on AA?” Her reply was, “yes, you could do that.”

So that’s what I did! I got a disclaimer when I was ready to finalize the transaction—something about not disputing the amount that I was to be refunded. “Hmmm,” I said to myself, “surely they wouldn’t keep my money AND cancel my flight.” I asked one of the friends with whom I was traveling for his opinion. “Oh, I think that just has to do with the exchange rate of pound to dollar.” That sounded reasonable so I completed the transaction. I figured the worst I would end up with would be credit for a future flight, which is what domestic carriers do when you cancel a non-refundable flight. So, I completed the transaction. Here begins my nightmare.

Long story short, they refunded approximately $200 for the tax and that was it. I immediately called their customer service and explained my situation, so the first thing the agent did was ask about my conversation with the customer service agent who had advised me to cancel the flight. I had the exact time and date on my cell phone so I provided that information and they said that they would look into it.

Two weeks later, I hadn’t heard back so I called again with my case number. After being on hold for quite a while, the agent came back on the line and said, “I’m sorry Mr. Oliver, we were unable to locate the tape of your conversation so there is nothing we can do.” I replied, well you have $1800 of my money and I have nothing. Please reinstate my reservation and I’ll pay you back the amount of the tax.” Her reply was, “I’m sorry we can’t do that. Once you cancel, we can’t restore a reservation. You should have known what you were doing was final.”

HUH? This is starting to sound like fraud! One of your employees advises me to cancel a flight and then you disavow it and keep my money?!
I have tried every form of recourse. I disputed the credit card charge. I escalated through their customer service hierarchy. I even went through a British dispute resolution web site, all to no avail.

The current status is that BA has $1800 of my money and they had offered to provide absolutely nothing. I appealed to their sense of right and wrong, their sense of shame and their greediness for revenue. All I’m asking them is to give me back what I paid for. They are not budging. I have had to purchase another flight (obviously on another airline!) and will not be able to travel to Europe and back along with my friends—remember the flight hasn’t taken place yet and there are likely empty seats on it. Thoughts?
I hate to be a naysayer, but this seems like user error to me. There is no way I would cancel a flight to re-book unless I was on the phone with an agent. NO WAYYYYYYYYYY.

With that being said, BA does seem to be acting like an anus given the explanation given...sorry for your trouble.

Last edited by pharmawalk; May 20, 2017 at 6:46 pm
Old May 20, 2017, 7:19 pm

Programs: EI AerClub Concierge, EK Gold, BA Gold, BD Gold (Retired), HHonors Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold
Caveat emptor.

BA is not AA.

It is sometimes a struggle to get BA to honor basic T&Cs and regulators that operate in the customer's favor.

The chances of BA overriding T&Cs that are clearly in BA's favor (canceling non-refundable ticket) are slim to none.
Old May 20, 2017, 7:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
But in this case, why should they? OP bought a non-refundable ticket and was warned about the consequences when cancelling online.
Old May 20, 2017, 7:39 pm

Instead of having generic warnings above the cancel ticket button, BA should list the original amount the passenger paid and the amount that will be refunded to the credit card. I'd imagine such a set up would have saved the OP. It would also be unambiguous, preventing the sort of semantic debate being had in this thread. It's also how most online retail works ie if I return something to Amazon, it's crystal clear as to what my refund will be vs the shipping charges they will retain.

also imho simply wrong that when the OP calls BA and asks to upgrade using AA miles, the agent says you can cancel your BA reservation and book via AA without mentioning the all important YOU'LL LOSE ALMOST ALL THE MONEY YOU'VE PAID FOR THE TICKET. Any non-experienced buyer would construe that advice as the money paid to BA will simply carry over to the AA reservation (which is after all foe the same seat on the same plane).

Last edited by NeedstoFly; May 20, 2017 at 7:59 pm
Old May 20, 2017, 8:01 pm

Programs: DL, Marriott & IHG Platty; HH Diamonte
Originally Posted by NeedstoFly
Instead of having generic warnings above the cancel ticket button, BA should list the original amount the passenger paid and the amount that will be refunded to the credit card. I'd imagine such a set up would have saved the OP. It would also be unambiguous, preventing the sort of semantic debate being had in this thread. It's also how most online retail works ie if I return something to Amazon, it's crystal clear as to what my refund will be vs the shipping charges they will retain.

also imho simply wrong that when the OP calls BA and asks to upgrade using AA miles, the agent says you can cancel your BA reservation and book via AA without mentioning the all important YOU'LL LOSE ALMOST ALL THE MONEY YOU'VE PAID FOR THE TICKET. Any non-experienced buyer would construe that advice as the money paid to BA will simply carry over to the AA reservation (which is after all foe the same seat on the same plane).
I totally concur in regards to increased transparency. That would make it too simple though.

There must be a subset of people out there that just say, "ok, i lost 1800...damn" and try again.
Old May 20, 2017, 8:10 pm

Originally Posted by pharmawalk
I totally concur in regards to increased transparency. That would make it too simple though.

There must be a subset of people out there that just say, "ok, i lost 1800...damn" and try again.
From BAs short term standpoint, the situation has worked out great. They have the $1800 and can resell the seat. Not sure how much in advance this has happened but OP mentioned his original booking was 11 months in advance.
Old May 20, 2017, 8:20 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Mucci
Originally Posted by LondonElite
But in this case, why should they? OP bought a non-refundable ticket and was warned about the consequences when cancelling online.
Because a BA agent had just told him that this was how he could accomplish his mission to upgrade his ticket using AA miles. I don't think it's too much of a stretch to think that, in this case, BA were making an exception.
Old May 20, 2017, 8:22 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Mucci

^^^
Old May 20, 2017, 8:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by HilFly
Because a BA agent had just told him that this was how he could accomplish his mission to upgrade his ticket using AA miles. I don't think it's too much of a stretch to think that, in this case, BA were making an exception.
No one except the OP knows exactly what was said. As has been pointed out above, the statement "you could cancel and rebook with AA" without checking the OP's fare rules is a correct but not comprehensive response to the question posed. Whatever was said, the very clear warning on the website would have been the 'dead giveaway'.
Old May 20, 2017, 9:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by HilFly
If he had then gone ahead and done this with the agent, then could perhaps see how might have such a belief. Given that he went online and just went through the normal cancellation process and indeed noted that there was a warning about the lack of refund - but just assumed that BA wouldn't just keep money and a friend suggesting maybe it was to do with currency exchange, hard to see an argument that the person thought that he had a special exception in regards to the booking
Old May 20, 2017, 9:19 pm

Originally Posted by sro1954
Nevertheless, I asked the agent how I could accomplish my goal. She said I would need to rebook on the AA version of the same flight and then they could upgrade me. Just so I understood correctly, I stated, “so what you are saying is that I should cancel my BA flight and rebook on AA?” Her reply was, “yes, you could do that.”
If I was not on FlyerTalk and TA quite a bit, and was an infrequent flyer, the above would also give me the impression that it was ok to cancel. And come on....what airline agent would not think it important to mention that if he did indeed cancel and rebook, he may lose the cost of the ticket he is cancelling! If BA NEVER lets anyone use the funds on a cancelled or changed ticket (and I am confused by this, because at least one person mentioned that they did receive the use of their ticket), then I would think that would be the FIRST thing that they would think of when advising someone to cancel their ticket.
Old May 20, 2017, 9:23 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Instead of having generic warnings above the cancel ticket button, BA should list the original amount the passenger paid and the amount that will be refunded to the credit card.
But BA does that! Before you click 'cancel' you get to see what the refund would be. There are multiple warnings before you actually cancel. The OP thought the difference was due to the foreign exchange rate, but BA did advise what the refund would be.
Old May 20, 2017, 10:19 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Perhaps the OP should consider suing the friend who provided incorrect advice, after all they were fully aware of the disclaimer but acted on the friend's incorrect assumption. Perhaps they would have been better advised to phone again to double check.

As for the agent, the OP is very clear that they said 'you could' this does not mean you should. I have colleagues I could happily slap but it doesn't mean I should.
Old May 20, 2017, 11:59 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA Lifetime Gold 1.8mm, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold et al
Originally Posted by Dambus
Caveat emptor.

BA is not AA.

It is sometimes a struggle to get BA to honor basic T&Cs and regulators that operate in the customer's favor.

The chances of BA overriding T&Cs that are clearly in BA's favor (canceling non-refundable ticket) are slim to none.
While I do have some sympathy with the OP's plight it seems to me that most of the outcome is due to misfortune and a degree of naivety on his/her part. I'm sure it's a useful lesson but very hard learned.

In my long experience with both airlines I have generally found that AA are much more accommodating with the endless number of problems that arise from time to time but are far from perfect. BA on the other hand have what I find to be the worst customer experience in all my consumer transactions in or outside travel. It's hard enough to get them to do what they are obliged to but it's always a waste of time asking them to go in favour of their customers when they don't feel that they have to.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.