Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Confessions of a BA flyer: the inaugural 2017 thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Confessions of a BA flyer: the inaugural 2017 thread

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2017, 5:36 am

Programs: BA Bronze
crazyanglaisy - it seems I am not alone in boarding the wrong aircraft !
MrD had one involving his much loved kindle.
Through T5 security and into Galleries North, find seats and settle in. MrD can't find his kindle, he concludes it must have been left at security so dashes back to ask. Agent was very helpful and assisted him but no luck.
By the time MrD had returned I had found the offending article sitting neatly alongside his iPad..... 'but that's the iPad pocket' was his response.
Note to self , never assume something is mislaid until I have checked myself.
Old May 21, 2017, 10:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
@Sam Bee; Fantastic story, I wouldn't be too hard on yourself, the Kiwi backpacker is clearly far more to blame given his age- it does remind me of On A Plane with Mr Bean

Old May 22, 2017, 4:30 am

Programs: Many. Too many. I came here to cut them down. I failed.
Originally Posted by navylad
@Sam Bee; Fantastic story, I wouldn't be too hard on yourself, the Kiwi backpacker is clearly far more to blame given his age- it does remind me of On A Plane with Mr Bean

YouTube
I havn't see that! But here's what was subsequently referenced to me by one person I related the story to - the Barry Humphries joke

http://www.milesago.com/people/humphries-barry.htm

He was also legendary for his notorious "sick bag" prank. This involved carrying a tin of condensed soup onto an aircraft, which he would then surreptitiously empty into an air-sickness bag. At an appropriate juncture, he would pretend to vomit loudly and violently into the bag and then, to the horror of the passengers and crew, he would proceed to eat the contents. Such stunts were the early manifestations of a lifelong interest in the bizarre, discomfiting and subversive.
Old May 22, 2017, 4:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
I once left my Blackberry on a 777 flight to BOS and only realised when I was halfway to Terminal C. In a blind panic I raced back to Terminal E and attempted to get to the connections desk in the arrivals area (but after Immigration and Customs). Only small problem is there are automatic security doors that don't open to landside passengers. I waited at the end by the connections desk and eventually 5 mins later someone came out allowing me to nip in.
Explained to the Special Services bloke who talked to me that I was in 2A and therefore could someone ask the cleaners or something if they've found it. He radios someone else who is gate side and asks if they can check 2A for me. I said it could be in the seat wardrobe, on the seat etc. Radio crackles back to life to say he can't anything and at this point I feel a cold chill as I can't live without it. I suddenly remember that it might be in the overhead locker as I'd put it down there whilst retrieving my bag. As I'm explaining this the radio voice comes back with the news that it was in the overhead bin and could someone collect it airside.

I took names and gave everyone a BA.com/welldone mention but I felt like such an idiot especially when explaining online why they deserved praise.
Old May 22, 2017, 6:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
I once came close to missing a BA flight out of LHR when I had a very late night the night before. I'd lost something I needed to take with me and needed a replacement which I couldn't get really locally. I'd had to go to a shop a few miles away on public transport and had only arrived 15 mins before it was closing. Made it back home around 22:30 and then subsequently realised I had no food in the flat so went to the 24hr Tesco which took about an hour so we're now about midnight. I got home cooked something to eat and finished my packing.

So finally got to bed around 01:30 and fell fast asleep, slept through my alarms and woke up at 09:45, flight leaves at 11:30 (BA213). I made it out onto the main road looking like a refugee from War on Want and tried to find a black cab with no luck. 10:05 and there's one heading towards me with his light on so I waved like a madman with both arms to get him to stop. I explained that I was in a desperate rush to get to LHR and thought this was the fastest option. He said he'd use the M4 Bus Lane and the speed limit to get me there. Which he did in 25 minutes right to the terminal door (so I suspect we might have gone slightly faster than we should have done ) and having given him a large tip raced into Terminal 5 which I had never been to before. I found someone from BA walking past me who took pity on my situation and marched me up to a check in counter ignoring the people in Club World line and I was dealt with immediately. I went through security and then ran around airside until I found the he train to the B gates to catch my flight. I had no idea about conformance or anything like that (and if I hadn't have been helped would have missed the flight) but I knew that turning up for a long haul flight with bags to drop, with an hour to go, to a terminal you've never been to before, wasn't a very good idea.

Last edited by Jimmie76; May 22, 2017 at 8:18 am
Old May 22, 2017, 6:03 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR; TK Elite; ITA Executive; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Bonvoy Platinum
Recent TP run to HNL and back, with a 10 hours stop in HNL. My plan was just to stay in the airport lounge and watch movies on my MacBook before flying back.

Never ever lost anything in my life before, however turns out I left my little leather pouch with all my chargers (including Mac, iPhone and Beats chargers) on board the incoming AA flight. Lounge staff immediately sent someone back on the plane to check but the pouch had mysteriously gone (they advised it might have been nicked by either a fellow passenger or the cleaning ladies).

Managed to buy an iPhone charger at the airport but didn't manage to buy the Mac one.

The longest 10 hours of my life.
Old May 22, 2017, 6:34 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by 81romeo
Recent TP run to HNL and back, with a 10 hours stop in HNL. My plan was just to stay in the airport lounge and watch movies on my MacBook before flying back.

Never ever lost anything in my life before, however turns out I left my little leather pouch with all my chargers (including Mac, iPhone and Beats chargers) on board the incoming AA flight. Lounge staff immediately sent someone back on the plane to check but the pouch had mysteriously gone (they advised it might have been nicked by either a fellow passenger or the cleaning ladies).

Managed to buy an iPhone charger at the airport but didn't manage to buy the Mac one.

The longest 10 hours of my life.
I don't know what's worse/more sad... you losing all your chargers or the fact you didn't leave the airport for 10 hours in HAWAII!
Old May 22, 2017, 7:32 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR; TK Elite; ITA Executive; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by Schwann
I don't know what's worse/more sad... you losing all your chargers or the fact you didn't leave the airport for 10 hours in HAWAII!
Been there already
Old May 22, 2017, 7:40 am

Originally Posted by 81romeo
Been there already
That's even worse!! Now you know what you're missing

(Although I guess we are talking about HNL... hmmm....)
Old May 23, 2017, 11:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
So I was once on a Go flight returning from a lads holiday in Sitges, I'd gone on holiday wiht 10 guys and had been great fun.

Unfortunately we were delayed by an hour on the tarmac (reportedly missed our take-off slot). Three of my friends were sat on row 1 chatting to the CC, a couple of my friends sat in row 14 and I was sat in row 16 with two guys I'd made friends with on the holiday, whilst the others were on other flights back.

About 30 mins into the tarmac delay, one of the CC comes bouncing down the aisle, at about row 13 he looks at me and ask/announces I hear you didn't spend a single night in your own bed all week. Red faced that I was, I should point out that this was in my partying days and I had slept many a day in my bed but had been out partying all the nights until it was clearly daylight again.

Still, drinking cocktails myself and the couple I met (whom I'm actually still good friends with) got merry. And, deciding to get my own back, I got the CC to present a cheap toy present from the duty free catalogue to one of my mates (the ring leader I'm sure) on row 1 whom I'm sure was to blame, it was his 40th birthday the day after the flight but the crew kindly announced his 60th to the whole plane over the PA.

Anyway, we made it to our destinations and picked up the cars from the car park and one of the other lads from row 1 started blagging how he had the good-looking CC's number. He is a military PTI and a bit self-obsessed.

Only years later, I find out from the other guys that the CC had given him his number to given to me and he had decided to keep it and was texting the CC pretending to be me.... to think what could have been
Old May 23, 2017, 12:00 pm
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Originally Posted by Jimmie76
I made it out onto the main road looking like a refugee from War on Want and tried to find a black cab with no luck. 10:05 and there's one heading towards me with his light on so I waved like a madman with both arms to get him to stop. I explained that I was in a desperate rush to get to LHR and thought this was the fastest option. He said he'd use the M4 Bus Lane and the speed limit to get me there. Which he did in 25 minutes right to the terminal door (so I suspect we might have gone slightly faster than we should have done
A black cab took me from Hammersmith to LHR T1 in 16 minutes once. I didn't have to "wave like a madman", just went to the cab rank.

I was at home all day so I didn't have an excuse for being late, I just had hundreds of documents to sort out and I was also packing a desktop computer in my checked bag... I just wasn't ready to leave until about 1845 for a 2000 flight and I automatically headed to the tube station, fortunately, the service board was showing MINOR DELAYS on the Piccadilly line which made me realise that I wouldn't have made it even if it was running normally.

The worst thing was that I was in such a fluster that I forgot to give him a tip and I had to use a cash advance on my CC since I didn't bring any cash, and he didn't take card yet.
But I don't think he was speeding, we were just lucky not to hit any reds on the Hammersmith roundabout or the pre-M4 bit
Old May 23, 2017, 2:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by :D!
A black cab took me from Hammersmith to LHR T1 in 16 minutes once. I didn't have to "wave like a madman", just went to the cab rank.

I was at home all day so I didn't have an excuse for being late, I just had hundreds of documents to sort out and I was also packing a desktop computer in my checked bag... I just wasn't ready to leave until about 1845 for a 2000 flight and I automatically headed to the tube station, fortunately, the service board was showing MINOR DELAYS on the Piccadilly line which made me realise that I wouldn't have made it even if it was running normally.

The worst thing was that I was in such a fluster that I forgot to give him a tip and I had to use a cash advance on my CC since I didn't bring any cash, and he didn't take card yet.
But I don't think he was speeding, we were just lucky not to hit any reds on the Hammersmith roundabout or the pre-M4 bit
I wasn't in Hammersmith (did go through it) and no taxi rank but you must have had less traffic to contend with and fewer reds than we did. I kept thinking that I'd be all right because i was in Club and therefore would be able to quickly drop my bags. Then I saw the queues and thought twice about that

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.