Search

BA 788 vs 744 CW to Washington DC

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2017, 7:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: QFF WP/OWE
BA 788 vs 744 CW to Washington DC

Hi all,
I'm looking at flying (in Club World) from LHR to Washington DC early next year and there's award availability for either a 744 to Dulles or a 788 to Baltimore. Neither airport are particularly close to where I'm staying (close to the National Mall) so I'm curious to know which one would people recommend? I find the 787s more comfortable on longer flights (my nasal passages seems to dry up pretty fast) but there's something special about flying in the Queens of the Skies, and Dulles is a little closer to where I'm staying.

Many thanks.
Old May 19, 2017, 7:31 am

Programs: BA Gold
I'd take IAD over BWI, it's CW so you'll be just fine on either. Do the timing work better for you on one rather than the other?
Old May 19, 2017, 7:39 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dougzz
I'd take IAD over BWI, it's CW so you'll be just fine on either. Do the timing work better for you on one rather than the other?
Thanks for the reply dougzz. The timing of either flight is fine.
Old May 19, 2017, 7:39 am

Take IAD then cross fingers for an opup to F
Old May 19, 2017, 7:55 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rapidex
Take IAD then cross fingers for an opup to F
Sounds good.
Old May 19, 2017, 7:55 am

Programs: BA
I prefer IAD (it was my home airport for years), but BWI has fewer international arrivals, hence immigration can be easier.

Have you been to IAD before (and hence are aware of the people-eater shuffle maneuver?)
Old May 19, 2017, 8:00 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by malkie
I prefer IAD (it was my home airport for years), but BWI has fewer international arrivals, hence immigration can be easier.

Have you been to IAD before (and hence are aware of the people-eater shuffle maneuver?)
No I haven't and I'm unfamiliar with that manoeuvre. Last time I visited DC I flew in and out of DCA. The closest I've been to IAD was to visit the Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center and I recall it being reasonably complicated to get to.
Old May 19, 2017, 8:00 am
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
If you can get UD on the 747 (especially 62/64 AK) then that's clearly the winner. If you're talking LD of the 747 vs 787 (or in other words, one terribly cramped uncompetitive BA J configuration vs. another terribly cramped uncompetitive BA J configuration), then definitely the 787 given the newer equipment, cool windows, better pressure, less chance of mechanical, etc.
Old May 19, 2017, 8:03 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sts603
If you can get UD on the 747 (especially 62/64 AK) then that's clearly the winner. If you're talking LD of the 747 vs 787 (or in other words, one terribly cramped uncompetitive BA J configuration vs. another terribly cramped uncompetitive BA J configuration), then definitely the 787 given the newer equipment, cool windows, better pressure, less chance of mechanical, etc.
I'll be OWE when I book the ticket, but OWS when I fly, so hopefully I'll have access to the good seats?
I'd have preferred AA but getting award tickets with QF points in near impossible unfortunately.
Old May 19, 2017, 8:14 am

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by PaulST
No I haven't and I'm unfamiliar with that manoeuvre. .
At IAD you are met at the airplane doors by mobile lounge people-eater vehicles that drive you to immigration.

The key is you depart the mobile lounge from the same side as you enter, so you want to stay at the front, rather than move the back. I used to walk in, step left and place by back against the wall to let others past. Some prefer to turn right and stand in the alcove next to the drivers cab. Gets you much further ahead at immigration.
Old May 19, 2017, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
For National Mall I'd say BWI trumps IAD for arrivals. You're almost guaranteed a very quick escape and although I've not used it there is a free shuttle which gets you to the Amtrak station about a mile away. From there it's about 35mins to Union Station. From IAD you're really looking for a bus/taxi/Uber and depending upon your time or arrival I-66 getting nearer the city can get very backed up.

IAD does have a much better premium experience for departures with the new lounge, pre-flight dining, Concorde Dining, etc.
BWI is small and very compact and uses a third party lounge which is similar to an older Admirals Club in terms of amenities. When I flew the TSA line was opened for me, it was that quiet, and I was there 2hrs beforehand!

Originally Posted by malkie
At IAD you are met at the airplane doors by mobile lounge people-eater vehicles that drive you to immigration.

The key is you depart the mobile lounge from the same side as you enter, so you want to stay at the front, rather than move the back. I used to walk in, step left and place by back against the wall to let others past. Some prefer to turn right and stand in the alcove next to the drivers cab. Gets you much further ahead at immigration.
When BA moved to Concourse B in 2009 the procedure switched slightly. You now go up a jetbridge and through a partitioned part of the terminal and are funneled into a holding area where there are one or two of the mobile lounges. Same tactics apply for getting a jump on the immigration line though.

In the old CBP area you would enter the terminal right into the immigration lines, with the new one you at least have some steps, escalator and stairs to get a jump on people if you can't get primo positioning on the mobile lounge.

Last edited by Fraser; May 19, 2017 at 9:35 am
Old May 19, 2017, 9:36 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
Will you be returning? if so, why not mix and match ;-)
Old May 19, 2017, 9:41 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Upper deck on Queen of the Skies in 64K as they won't be around forever!
Old May 19, 2017, 12:41 pm

Programs: BA GfL, Marriott TfL, Hertz 5*
I assume they're going to change the rotation back ?

I thought the 380 replaced the 747 on the first daily LHR-IAD flight a few years ago and the second daily flight has been (for quite a while) a 777 ?
If there is a change, I would be interested to know what the 747 replaces. I currently use the 380, as I hate the 777 CW dormitory with a vengeance, but the second daily flight timing is better for sleep, better for arriving at LHR outside peak early morning and (most important of course) my company gets a full working day out of me on my day of departure from DC !
Old May 19, 2017, 2:18 pm

Originally Posted by wenzlydale
I thought the 380 replaced the 747 on the first daily LHR-IAD flight a few years ago and the second daily flight has been (for quite a while) a 777 ?
If there is a change, I would be interested to know what the 747 replaces. I currently use the 380, as I hate the 777 CW dormitory with a vengeance, but the second daily flight timing is better for sleep, better for arriving at LHR outside peak early morning and (most important of course) my company gets a full working day out of me on my day of departure from DC !
BA217 (the morning flight), is a 747 for my trip in January, correspondingly BA216 is also a 747 with BA292/293 remaining a 777.

I personally prefer the A380 to pretty much anything else in the fleet from CW (yes, even upper deck CW) to WT, never had the pleasure of First on any flight so can't comment there! Yet to try a 787.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.