FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
ba.com more expensive than expedia

Same flights, same dates.

ba.com shows exact same booking for £44 more than expedia

Why?
Old May 17, 2017, 8:49 pm

Programs: Ex-BA/AA/CP/LY staff, BA Executive Club Blue, IHG Diamond, Marriott Silver, Chick-fil-A Red
Point of sale? Sabre (or whatever Expedia uses) slightly behind Amadeus availability? Day of the week ends in Y?
Old May 17, 2017, 11:01 pm
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
I think BA now charges booking fees for ba.com transactions, while Expedia does not. I recently bought a ticket on VA (SYD-ADL-SYD) via Expedia and saved some money as there was no fee charged.
Old May 18, 2017, 12:20 am

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
Same flights, same dates.

ba.com shows exact same booking for £44 more than expedia

Why?
exact same fare classes on both outbound and inbound ?
Old May 18, 2017, 12:48 am

Programs: BA Gold; LH FTL; IHG Diamond; Marriott Gold; ALL Gold
OTAs are often a few pounds cheaper than BA.com.

I'd buy from BA, and then claim the difference under the price promise.
Old May 18, 2017, 12:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Yep. Exact same flights etc.

Don't want to bother with claiming price difference etc. So just went ahead and booked thru Expedia.
Old May 18, 2017, 12:58 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HHonors Diamond; A3 *Nothing ; BA Exec. Club Gold
Originally Posted by Deltus
OTAs are often a few pounds cheaper than BA.com.

I'd buy from BA, and then claim the difference under the price promise.
SIN-LHR-AMS-SIN in PE was SGD 200 cheaper on Expedia.
Same dates, same flights plus BA charges my credit card from London in my local currency (SGD) attracting another credit card fee.

Not a few pounds...

Globalist
Old May 18, 2017, 1:04 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
OLTA are often cheaper than airlines, they reduce their fees to make them more competitive. The downsides are difficulties if you need to make changes (can't go through the airline), less likely to get free or POUG/AUP and there is some evidence (see this thread) that you are more likely to be offloaded if overbooked or they need to reduce weight.

Last edited by navylad; May 18, 2017 at 1:48 am
Old May 18, 2017, 2:00 am

Originally Posted by navylad
OLTA are often cheaper than airlines, they reduce their fees to make them more competitive.
It's incredibly rare for TAs to be cheaper than BA, something has normally gone wrong or they are cheating on the POS. Reducing their fees doesn't drop the price below what BA.com can charge.
Old May 18, 2017, 2:02 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
Originally Posted by 710 77345
It's incredibly rare for TAs to be cheaper than BA, something has normally gone wrong or they are cheating on the POS. Reducing their fees doesn't drop the price below what BA.com can charge.
That's not my experience, I can usually find a fare cheaper by searching through various OLTAs, the likes of Tripsta and sometimes CheapOAir (clearly other travel agencies are available and I'm not endorsing either of these, just my experience), particularly when they send you discount codes.

When BA has a sale on, these prices are sometimes not available off BA.com.

For example, I just put in LHR-BCN for the 16th June (selected purely as it is my birthday) for a week, BA.com £447 + any CC booking fee, tripair.nl £442 and no CC booking fee. Admittedly I then apply military discount to BA.com and it is usually far cheaper.

Bottom line, always shop around, but be aware of what you are buying and the downsides of buying indirect.

Last edited by navylad; May 18, 2017 at 2:44 am
Old May 18, 2017, 2:03 am

You're lucky, I think we have fewer than 10 reports of BA's price promise being successfully used here in the 10+ years it's been operating!
Old May 18, 2017, 2:40 am

Programs: AA,CX, BA, Priority Club, SPG, Hilton
Um.... i found the opposite. I recently booked 3 tickets, 2 of which has ba.com booking fee listed, so it became couple pounds more then expedia. However, since the price different is negligible, i went ahead with ba.com.
Old May 18, 2017, 2:45 am

Originally Posted by Fly2Where
Um.... i found the opposite. I recently booked 3 tickets, 2 of which has ba.com booking fee listed, so it became couple pounds more then expedia. However, since the price different is negligible, i went ahead with ba.com.
If you "live" in Germany, then the booking fee is removed.
Old May 18, 2017, 2:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
Why?
Because people who go direct to the airline website aren't interested in flying with a competitor or for shopping around, and therefore are letting the airline know that they are willing to pay above the odds.
Old May 18, 2017, 4:28 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, UA Mileage Plus, Hotels.com Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Pizza Express Gold
You're lucky, I think we have fewer than 10 reports of BA's price promise being successfully used here in the 10+ years it's been operating!
I've had a couple if successful claims over the last few years, only for a few pounds each though. I think I've also had one unsuccessful claim for no obvious reason.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.