Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA online check in error: website cannot handle long names

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA online check in error: website cannot handle long names

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2023, 8:01 am
Original Poster

Angry BA online check in error: website cannot handle long names

Everytime I book a flight with British Airways, I cannot check in online because it fails. It appears to me that their website cannot handle my last name which is too long (my first name is 25 characters long and my last name is 31 characters long) and therefore their website crashes when I try to check in with my last name.

Do you know what are the name requirements for Britsh Airways? It is nowehere indicated... For example, Qatar Airways indicates on their website that the title + first name + last name should not exceed 50 characters and how to proceed otherwise, but I haven't seen anything similar on BA's website.

This situation is particularly annoying, since it requires me to come extra early at the airport, queue and check in at the counter.
Old Nov 24, 2023, 8:28 am

Programs: BAEC
I don't know BA's specific requirements, but the maximum permissible on a UK passport is 30 characters for the forename(s) (including spaces) and a further 30 characters for the surname(s), it wouldn't surprise me if BA used these limits. My full surname is 45 characters so I use a shortened version on my passport details with my full name listed as an official observation.
Old Nov 24, 2023, 9:33 am

Programs: BAEC
Unfortunately you're also up against the limitation of the last-century backend GDS technology as well as the general incompetence of airline IT. And BA is especially incompetent.

Amadeus, the GDS that BA uses states....

Amadeus allows up to 57 characters, including last name, first name or initial and title, Passenger Type Code PTC, date of birth, and identification code ID or CR.
You probably need to find a pragmatic abbreviation for your name(s) you use in bookings so that your name is recognisable against your passport or other travel document, yet is within the limits of technology limitations.
Old Nov 24, 2023, 9:45 am

Programs: British Airways GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond & Marriott Gold
best and easier to legally change your name - quicker than BA fixing the problem
mediator likes this.
Old Nov 24, 2023, 9:57 am

Originally Posted by PGberkshire
best and easier to legally change your name - quicker than BA fixing the problem
BA can throw a hundred IT engineers and a million pounds at it and it still won’t resolve anything because it’s not their issue to fix. As above, it’s an Amadeus limitation. The answer is to use a shorter version of your name, if there’s no standard contraction (e.g. Jon/Jonathan) then just the first X characters.
Old Nov 27, 2023, 4:03 am
Original Poster

Answer from Amadeus

Here is Amadeus' answer:
The restriction on name length will come from the Reservation system, and if the airline was able to make a booking, there is no reason on our side for the check-in to fail. IATA standards appear to indicate that any name that exceeds the airline’s limits will simply be truncated.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.