Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Travel agent recommendation for booking ITA Matrix fares

Travel agent recommendation for booking ITA Matrix fares

Old Apr 4, 2018, 4:10 am

Location: All over the place often South Wales and Lake District
Programs: BA Gold for Life
Originally Posted by Airprox
Personally I would recommend that you do not use Propeller.
Why?
Old Apr 4, 2018, 4:13 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Calchas
If it's bookable on BA stock, you can usually book by phone to BA or at a ticket desk next time you have a few minutes at LHR.
If calling BA, are they able to get to the granularity of booking very specific fare codes/code shares for each segment, etc?

I too am beginning to find ITA frustrating. It's great fun for planning and "what if" scenarios and of course it is very powerful, but I consistently find fares I'm not able to book in reality and sometimes feel like I'm constantly chasing ghosts...

Regards
Old Apr 4, 2018, 4:24 am

Programs: Seigneur des Tarifs Utils First Class Mucci with Honours :) - BA GGL / CCR
Originally Posted by scubadu
If calling BA, are they able to get to the granularity of booking very specific fare codes/code shares for each segment, etc?

I too am beginning to find ITA frustrating. It's great fun for planning and "what if" scenarios and of course it is very powerful, but I consistently find fares I'm not able to book in reality and sometimes feel like I'm constantly chasing ghosts...

Regards

A lot of the issues people experience can be down to Point of Sale, ITA defaults to the departure country to get Point of Sale, I have seen it in the past where I have had to go to the Norwegian version of Monomdo or expedia to pull back certain fares exOSL for example, Even some AA fares I can only get on the USA site and not the EU / UK one worth checking that too. Usually if you change the Point of sale to London on Matrix and the fare no longer shows that is a good indicator of the above,
Old Apr 4, 2018, 4:26 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by scubadu
I think I've suggested this before, but if you get a BA agent on the phone they should be able to find ITA Matrix routings, if they really exist. There are some limitations with ITA Matrix, relating to Point of Sale differences, which may prevent a BA agent finding that precise fare, though if it is due to going up one fare class on a short sector then the additional cost may be worth swallowing.

If you go down this route you probably want to have it lined up as "BAnnn on [date] in fare class Delta" or whatever, their system allows more flexibility to just put in a schedule and fare classes, then it should auto-price through to a final figure. I don't think they select fare basis, that comes out at the end, but any distinction between codeshares needs to be whatever ITA is showing. This works best on joint business areas if you're throwing in a lot of non BA sectors then BA may not be able to ticket it.

Another option, if it is a quiet day, is to ask the ticketing agent in South Gallery Club to do it (just write it out as above, or perhaps give the ITA print screen highlighting flight numbers, dates, selling class. I wouldn't advocate doing this if there are a lot of passengers with urgent problems, the desk in GC South only opens from 06:00 hrs, but in the evening they may not have much on their plate. There is a 15 charge in theory but if you are nice to the agent, offer to get them a glass of champagne and look like you're going to throw some decent sums of money BA's way then they probably won't charge it.
florens likes this.
Old Apr 4, 2018, 4:28 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Calchas
If it's bookable on BA stock, you can usually book by phone to BA or at a ticket desk next time you have a few minutes at LHR.
I'd second this. I had a relatively uncomplicated AMS-LHR-BWI-LHR which I found on ITA (J/I/T) - but which the BA online system couldn't handle. Phoned BA, no problem, and in fact BA came out cheaper than ITA by about $50pp.

Last edited by CKBA; Apr 4, 2018 at 6:53 am
Old Apr 4, 2018, 4:33 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, ITA Club Executive, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by jdtravels
Other than bookwithmatrix and Propeller, has anyone had luck with using the Amex Travel or platinum concierge services?
I can't see why not! I've never had to resort to this for intercontinental itineraries as I've always managed to book with BA over the phone, but they are a travel agency after all.

I had to book via Amex (online though) an itinerary to and from IBZ that was a mix of BA and IB.
Old Apr 4, 2018, 5:50 am

Programs: QF Gold
Originally Posted by jdtravels
Other than bookwithmatrix and Propeller, has anyone had luck with using the Amex Travel or platinum concierge services?
I've booked ex-EU with travel.americanexpress.co.uk and found it the only online site to be able to price that particular Matrix fare correctly in GBP
Old Apr 4, 2018, 6:28 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I think I've suggested this before, but if you get a BA agent on the phone they should be able to find ITA Matrix routings, if they really exist. <snip>
Thanks very much for the insightful response cws, I appreciate it.

Regards
Old Apr 4, 2018, 8:14 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
I had the agent at T5 GC South do my most recent complex itinerary booking. It took more than a few minutes, but she managed it in the end, due partly to very thin availability on some segments of the itinerary. If you're on the way through anyway, this is a reasonable way to do it but make sure you have enough time. You will also, at least for any travel to the USA, need to supply passport details for all travellers to get the ticket issued so make sure you have that available as needed.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 6:18 pm

Just to add to this discussion with an experience I have just had:

Just phone BA. I just spoke to an excellent agent (Indian call centre via US line for whatever it's worth) who worked through a very intricate itinerary with multiple booking classes, change in point of sale, a non-Oneworld non-codeshare flight on the same ticket etc etc, with ease, and a price just slightly cheaper than that quoted by ITA.
Calchas likes this.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 8:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Virazuno
Just to add to this discussion with an experience I have just had:

Just phone BA. I just spoke to an excellent agent (Indian call centre via US line for whatever it's worth) who worked through a very intricate itinerary with multiple booking classes, change in point of sale, a non-Oneworld non-codeshare flight on the same ticket etc etc, with ease, and a price just slightly cheaper than that quoted by ITA.
ba.com/welldone
Old Nov 26, 2023, 2:57 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH SEN , A3*G & others less exciting that don't fit in my wallet
Any updated recommendations on this thread .. I've got a complicated one coming up that I can get to price up on AA.com .. but when trying to pay it pushes you to the AA.co.uk site and doesn't work .. could probably pay with PayPal and stick on the .com site , but would prefer not to use PayPal ideally and also would like to slightly tweak the itinerary in a way that should be possible, but the AA site won't allow. Doesn't actually involve any BA flights ( AA and Kenyan Airways .. long story !) so calling BA probably not an option .. but a UK based agent would be ideal .. I had tried calling AA, but they were totally useless
Old Nov 26, 2023, 1:01 pm

I would agree with ITA having a lot of trouble with TK. It offers booking classes that exist but are no longer on sale. A proper travel agent seems to be able to see the low fare ITA quoted class but cannot book it.

Old Nov 27, 2023, 2:43 am

Programs: BA - GL, Disgruntled ex LH HON
The team at Propeller Travel, recommended higher up in this thread would love to help ...

www.propellertravel.com

Axx

Last edited by danielbk; Nov 27, 2023 at 4:46 am
Old Nov 27, 2023, 3:01 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH SEN , A3*G & others less exciting that don't fit in my wallet
Originally Posted by danielbk
The team at Propeller Travel, recommended higher up in this thread would love to help ...

www.propellertravel.com
Already emailed you
danielbk likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.