Wiki Posts
Search

Forget ex EU, I'm all about ex INV

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2017, 6:59 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by sunszajn
Doesn't work for Hawaii - almost a 1000 more expensive than Dublin and that is still to pricey
Some people used to book Dublin to Hawaii in business for 1600 but now it's 2500 - is there a BA sale coming up at some point?
exDUB to Hawaii in the current sale is ~Ł1750 - details in the TP run thread.

I think you are mixing up two things here. Starting a trip in INV or JER as opposed to LHR or a UK regional airport will mean you pay no APD. APD is currently ~Ł150 per per person for WTP/CW/F. The base fare itself from INV/JER is unlikely to be cheaper that starting at LHR - usually the fares starting in the UK are fairly uniform although there are the occasional variations.

Starting in DUB or another exEU departure point will also save APD even if you route through the UK on the way to Hawaii or wherever you are heading. But APD is not the main saving, it is the fact that these exEU fares are significantly cheaper than the fares starting in the UK. For example, the current exDUB sale fare has prices for LAS at around ~Ł1250 so probably around Ł1k less than starting in the UK. Also other airlines offer cheaper exEU fares, for example QR currently have a ~Ł1650 J fare from ARN/OSL to AKL. The exEUs are not really about APD, they are about base fares which are set a lot lower than a exUK fare for the same destination.

If you want to keep an eye on fares then I suggest subscribing to the following threads:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...er-thread.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...7-edition.html - current thread
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...t-ba-sale.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...les-ex-uk.html
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/premium-fare-deals-740/
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...are-deals.html
Old Jun 15, 2017, 4:37 pm

Programs: IC Amb :-(, UA silver, BA Gold, SPG Plat, A-Club Plat, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by KARFA
exDUB to Hawaii in the current sale is ~Ł1750 - details in the TP run thread.

I think you are mixing up two things here. Starting a trip in INV or JER as opposed to LHR or a UK regional airport will mean you pay no APD. APD is currently ~Ł150 per per person for WTP/CW/F. The base fare itself from INV/JER is unlikely to be cheaper that starting at LHR - usually the fares starting in the UK are fairly uniform although there are the occasional variations.
Not to contradict KARFA who is usually pretty accurate on these things, but on a few occasions over the past year or two base fares have appeared to be significantly lower from INV than from LHR as well as the APD being dropped. I know there was an INV-OGG in Y fare some time ago like that.
Old Jun 16, 2017, 12:38 am

Originally Posted by catharsis
Not to contradict KARFA who is usually pretty accurate on these things, but on a few occasions over the past year or two base fares have appeared to be significantly lower from INV than from LHR as well as the APD being dropped. I know there was an INV-OGG in Y fare some time ago like that.
Yes you are right sometimes they are - I have seen other reports of fares which are cheaper heading to the US starting sat in GLA compared to LHR. I was trying to cover that with the bit about "...although there are the occasional variations."
Old Jun 16, 2017, 5:20 am

Programs: Seigneur des Tarifs Utils First Class Mucci with Honours :) - BA GGL / CCR
Yes you are right sometimes they are - I have seen other reports of fares which are cheaper heading to the US starting sat in GLA compared to LHR. I was trying to cover that with the bit about "...although there are the occasional variations."
I took advantage of this last year on our Asia trip, The base fare and lack of APD from INV made it a no brainer for us compared to how much more it was going to be from GLA and even GLA was still cheaper than LHR!
Old Jun 19, 2017, 8:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci, BA Bronze, Hilton Gold
And the smallest executive lounge in the land!
Old Jun 19, 2017, 9:58 am

Programs: Seigneur des Tarifs Utils First Class Mucci with Honours :) - BA GGL / CCR
Originally Posted by Sealink
And the smallest executive lounge in the land!
It maybe "Cosy" but I found it quite pleasant , If you like whisky and soup lol
Old Jun 19, 2017, 10:11 am
Suspended

Programs: BAEC GGL, HH DIAMOND, AVIS Presidents Club, Karahi Express
Originally Posted by sunszajn
Doesn't work for Hawaii - almost a 1000 more expensive than Dublin and that is still to pricey
Some people used to book Dublin to Hawaii in business for 1600 but now it's 2500 - is there a BA sale coming up at some point?
I booked DUB-LHR-MAN-PHL-PHX-HNL and return in J for 1800GBP. Earning 1000 TP for travel in 2nd week July. That was for a TP run to retain GGL by August 2017.

Now I don't need the TP run as my GGL was extended by 2 years. 😊👍😔
Old Jun 20, 2017, 4:16 am

Originally Posted by deboyzoned
I booked DUB-LHR-MAN-PHL-PHX-HNL and return in J for 1800GBP. Earning 1000 TP for travel in 2nd week July. That was for a TP run to retain GGL by August 2017.

Now I don't need the TP run as my GGL was extended by 2 years. 😊👍😔
It is currently Ł1600 on certain dates in the exDUB Sale which incidentally ends today!
Old Jun 20, 2017, 4:30 am

Originally Posted by cgtechuk
It is currently Ł1600 on certain dates in the exDUB Sale which incidentally ends today!
One of the exDUB sale fares ends today - but this one doesn't cover HNL.

The other exDUB sale ends on Thursday and HNL is €1,972.

More details in the linked posts from the wiki in the TP run thread.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 4:39 am

One of the exDUB sale fares ends today - but this one doesn't cover HNL.

The other exDUB sale ends on Thursday and HNL is €1,972.

More details in the linked posts from the wiki in the TP run thread.
Ahh yes there is two running concurrently at the moment,

It seems Its Ł1729 if you cant get I availability on JFK to LAX or Ł1689 for dates with better availability I got it to price the lower amount with tuesday departure out and Wed return of the next week,

But agreed better in the TP Run thread
Old Jun 26, 2017, 4:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci, BA Bronze, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by cgtechuk
It maybe "Cosy" but I found it quite pleasant , If you like whisky and soup lol
Oh I love it!
Old Jun 26, 2017, 5:05 pm

Originally Posted by Sealink
Oh I love it!
From someone who is a native Scot and lives in Glasgow I still find INV a bit of a foreign concept / adventure lol
Old Nov 15, 2017, 10:51 am

Programs: BAEC: Gold, HH:Diamond, Marriott: Platinum, IHG: Diamond Ambassador
INV parking options

Looking for optiosn for parking - the airport parking itself is reasonable price but wondered if anuybody has ever found alternatives.
I had though about booking a night before in the Holiday Inn Express which is just a few stops from airport on the bus and leaving car there - any experience with that?
Old Nov 15, 2017, 11:50 am

Programs: EK,BA,QR
Smile

Originally Posted by adfg
Looking for optiosn for parking - the airport parking itself is reasonable price but wondered if anuybody has ever found alternatives.
I had though about booking a night before in the Holiday Inn Express which is just a few stops from airport on the bus and leaving car there - any experience with that?

Hi, we live in Inverness and use Dalcross air park - it's a privately owned outfit and the owner is really helpful.
http://www.dalcrossairpark.co.uk

Holiday Inn Express is in Inverness so you'd still need a transport and all the extra hassle.
Old Nov 15, 2017, 4:51 pm

Originally Posted by adfg
The slight cost saving isn't worth the effort for the off site parking in my opinion unless your going away for at least 2/3 weeks. The new on site short stay is very good, I usually pre-book online to save a few pennys.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.