Wiki Posts
Search

The Way We Were.......

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2017, 5:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Bronze, LH M&M
The Way We Were.......

I'm a bit of a hoarder and came across this the other day. I'd kept it as it was from the flight when we returned to the UK after living in Africa for 6 years. The date was 6th September 1988.

Name:  page-0.jpg
Views: 2064
Size:  1.28 MB

Name:  page-1.jpg
Views: 1999
Size:  122.7 KB

Name:  page-2.jpg
Views: 1950
Size:  162.6 KB

Name:  page-3.jpg
Views: 1956
Size:  171.6 KB

Name:  page-4.jpg
Views: 1951
Size:  113.0 KB
Old May 16, 2017, 5:49 am

Programs: BA Exec Club (Silver)
Economy?

Remove page 2 and possibly the part about champagne being available to buy and I'm sure most, including myself, would have assumed that's a menu from a business class cabin.

It's a shame so many of the public just see flying as a means to an end and want the cheapest fare possible, excluding almost all other considerations in determining their choice of route, carrier and cabin.

Even though it's an economy ticket, just reading that menu would've got me excited about the journey ahead.
Old May 16, 2017, 6:00 am

Programs: QRPC Platinum, KFEG
But then again this is from when airline tickets costs a lot more (adjusted for inflation).

I remember when going to the US from Belgium wasn't possible for anything less than BEF 40.000 (around EUR1000). Now I'm paying those prices to fly J to the US and for that price in economy you can to a round the world trip almost.
Old May 16, 2017, 6:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Sad thing is on longhaul I often see a few of the "older generation" economy passengers dressed appropriately to match this menu at the gate area. Their disappointment must be the worst!
Old May 16, 2017, 6:04 am

Was the food actually any good though? British cooking in the 1980s was not exactly great (so I'm told).
Old May 16, 2017, 6:06 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
It sounds like a good menu ... but you could really, really mess it up.

It could be a case of the menu significantly exceeding expectations, i.e., the ingredients are all there but Iceland would be embarrassed to freeze them in that state.
Old May 16, 2017, 6:07 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK, DL, IHG Diamond, HHonours Gold, Hertz Presidents Club
Fantastic post. This looks very much like a Cunard cruise menu, in that sort of white star sliver service style.

Do they give out a menu in LH Y on BA now? I haven't flown it for some years and they didn't then but maybe they have caught up with the ME3 who print one.

We live in an age of cheap printing so it is a shame they don't do it anymore. This is the sort of britishness that was always BA biggest appeal to me, whilst you do see it in the staff the brand is becoming more international.
Old May 16, 2017, 6:17 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Ldnn1
Was the food actually any good though? British cooking in the 1980s was not exactly great (so I'm told).
Both Mr RR and myself recall it as being perfectly acceptable although it was 29 years ago!
Luckily these days we manage to snag cw or f reward seats, these old bones wouldn't cope with economy in long haul.
Old May 16, 2017, 6:32 am

Programs: Ex-BA/AA/CP/LY staff, BA Executive Club Blue, IHG Diamond, Marriott Silver, Chick-fil-A Red
No menus in WT since about late 2001/early 2002. Even by that point they were down to about the size of a large postcard, somewhat similar to the menus on longer CE flights more recently.

I too saw the cover and thought it was going to be an F menu. At the time though, weren't the longhaul cabins F (with large recliners), Super Club (Y with middle seat free), and Y. Although the seats aren't recognisable today, you could say the Y service was soon to today's W.

This thread would make a good addition to the Nostalgia thread.
Old May 16, 2017, 6:39 am
Suspended

Programs: *A G, OW S.
I worked in Nigeria up until the end of 1986 and I still, somewhere have a few bits from my last flight home - on a DC-10 of British Caledonian - who never forgot we had a choice!
Old May 16, 2017, 7:12 am

Programs: DL,EK
Nice. My mom was a FA for United and I have a picture of her in F on a DC-10 in the 70s carving a roast with an appropriately long knife.
Old May 16, 2017, 7:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by mikeyfly
Sad thing is on longhaul I often see a few of the "older generation" economy passengers dressed appropriately to match this menu at the gate area.
In camphor-soaked tweeds and high-waisted burgundy M&S trousers from 30 years ago?

Old May 16, 2017, 7:28 am

Great post. I love that menu! They were the days it was still glamorous to fly...even in Y class it seems
Old May 16, 2017, 7:54 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by irishguy28
In camphor-soaked tweeds and high-waisted burgundy M&S trousers from 30 years ago?

I've been trying to get Mr RR to chuck those camphor soaked tweeds away for years, he's very attached to them or is it the other way round?
Old May 16, 2017, 7:56 am

Programs: BA Executive Club, UA Mileage Plus, bmi Diamond Club
When I first opened this thread I thought you'd kept the flower from the first class loo!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.