Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Welcome back BOAC?

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2017, 11:39 am

Originally Posted by LondonTechTraveller
I think the Government should open an air terminal in central London with bus connections to the aircraft at Heathrow. It can have the buses made at a newly nationalised British Leyland factory.
The original BEA airport buses were built by AEC (the "Associated Equipment Company", the association having been with the Underground / LGOC Group which formed the nucleus of the original London Transport). This was long before BL got their wretched talons onto AEC.
Old May 16, 2017, 1:10 pm

Originally Posted by liamvad
A 'One Class' airline,no club or first,everyone getting VIP treatment,no lounges or BAEC,end the snobbery and class system in the air,money does not make you a better person,in fact the opposite.But,I am only dreaming.....it will never happen.
I'm not sure anyone claims your ticket class makes you a better or worse person. I think it means that some people place a higher value (and they have to be able to pay, it's true) on certain features (eg. a flat bed), whereas others would rather spend their money instead on something else.
Old May 16, 2017, 1:27 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Eurostar Carte Blanche
One would look forward to a strong and stable CW bed...
Old May 16, 2017, 1:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, and others
Originally Posted by liamvad
A 'One Class' airline,no club or first,everyone getting VIP treatment,no lounges or BAEC,end the snobbery and class system in the air,money does not make you a better person,in fact the opposite.But,I am only dreaming.....it will never happen.
southwest?
ryanir?
easyjet?

many others follow that model already!
Old May 16, 2017, 5:29 pm

Programs: BA Gold/OWE
Originally Posted by chucko
Why stop at BOAC?

Air Outpost (1937) - YouTube

(Available on the BA IFE, you just have to dig around for it.)
It's all still there and largely unchanged, in the form of Sharjah air museum, and instantly recognisable from the film. Of course it's all built up now and a main street covers what was the old airport runway. But it's only 15 mins from DXB outside the rush hour and definitely worth a visit. It has a few aircraft in what was the RAF Sharjah hangar as well as many other interesting exhibits, including the nose and cockpit section of a BOAC Comet.

Some photos in my FT album here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/membe...ir-museum.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al_Mahatta_Fort

Last edited by sharp5flat9; May 16, 2017 at 5:34 pm
Old May 17, 2017, 1:26 am

Programs: BA Bronze,Accor.Flightdiary.net/liamvad
Originally Posted by evacboy
southwest?
ryanir?
easyjet?

many others follow that model already!
Yes,but not with the level of service that BOAC had,I flew to SYD(Boeing 707) and back(VC10)out via India,we had printed menus,food and service was fab,all one class,returned via USA in 1970,bring that all back please.
Old May 17, 2017, 2:02 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
Originally Posted by evacboy
So, with one of the major British parties advocating re-nationalising rail, water, mail, grid and post, air has to be next.

What would you like from a gov't run British Airways?

And please keep this thread non-political! There's enough debate about the G.E. in Omni.. let's use this thread to see what we would all like from nationalised air travel!
Major British party?
Not so fast there!
More like a minor, collapsing British party that is about to become irrelevant!
Old May 17, 2017, 2:25 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by ahmetdouas
Major British party?...
Don't burst our bubble! How else are going to get BOAC back?
Old May 17, 2017, 2:55 am

Programs: Lemonia. Best Greek ever.
When the next Labour government has appointed Seamus Milne as Chairperson of the newly nationalised BA/EZY combination, all pax will be referred to as Comrade, and all crew will refer to each other as Sister. Pilots will clean loos, of course.
All planes will be one class, and all destinations will have BOB.
Old May 17, 2017, 3:02 am

Programs: BA Exec Gold; Accor Le Club Gold
Originally Posted by rpjs
The original BEA airport buses were built by AEC (the "Associated Equipment Company", the association having been with the Underground / LGOC Group which formed the nucleus of the original London Transport). This was long before BL got their wretched talons onto AEC.
So they were specially built? Perhaps that explains the odd 'hump-back' design to them. I guess that was to help accommodate baggage but it makes them look very odd.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 12:39 am

Programs: BAEC Gold; Le Club Accorhotels Plat; Marriott Gold
Photo taken just now at LHR 😍

Last edited by tenn_ace; Feb 22, 2019 at 12:44 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.