Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Madrid 777 flight

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2019, 8:37 am

Programs: BAEC Silver/OW Sapphire
IFE on LHR-MAD 777

Sorry to bump an old thread but I’m getting mixed messages on FT.

I’ve specifically booked BA460/461 in Business to treat Mrs WB for her birthday. Is the IFE likely to be available or not?

Sure, it’s a short flight, but it does help to while away the time.
Old May 9, 2019, 8:44 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by wb1969
Sorry to bump an old thread but I’m getting mixed messages on FT.

I’ve specifically booked BA460/461 in Business to treat Mrs WB for her birthday. Is the IFE likely to be available or not?

Sure, it’s a short flight, but it does help to while away the time.
Yes, a short flight. IFE should not be working, BA's licence for the material on IFE was based on a longhaul work pattern. Sometimes however it is switched on in error. On the other hand Wifi may well be operating on the service, depending on the exact aircraft concerned.
Old May 9, 2019, 9:20 am

Programs: BA Silver
Took this flight the other day coming back on bank holiday Monday. Flight was rammed and was in business. As a silver, had no option at any time to book First cabin so assume it was blocked off, only to get on the plane and it was completely full. All golds perhaps?

My plane had WiFi and I used it as others have said the IFE not switched on. I thought for a 2 hour flight, of which probably only 90 minutes you can actually use the WiFi, £4.99 wasn’t bad value for an hour.

Pretty good flight, service never felt rushed with all the meals to be served and there was even a drinks round first unlike on the way out where I was in CE on a 321.
Old May 9, 2019, 10:22 am

Programs: BAEC, VS FC, LH M&M, ANA Mileage Club
On a recent flight from MAD-LHR on the 777 I (perhaps accidentally) got a pair of seats in the first cabin as a lowly blue.

Online check-in was behaving strangely at t-24, as me and my travelling companion had been auto-allocated a pair of seats further back in the CW cabin, and the seat map was displaying row 4 onwards (but not 1-3) - so knowing row 4 is in first, I tried changing to row 4 a few times but it kept returning an error message (I think it said these seats are only for infants) - but after a couple of refreshes, the seats miraculously changed, one by one, to 4E and 4K - 4F was still vacant and so swapped 4K into 4F at the airport

Best of all, this was an avios ticket, so the experience cost only £25 plus 12,000 ish avios!
Old May 9, 2019, 11:54 am
Jed

Programs: BA Gold, AA 1MM lifetime gold, Starwood gold, Marriott Gold Elite
One of my frustrations with BA (although many will say insignificant) is the seeming randomness at which one can or can’t get seats in the F cabin on this flight. In some situations, status appears to make no difference whereas last month I was specifically told at LHR T5 Galleries First Lounge customer service desk that they were only allocating the seats to those with CIV 97 or above. That was following a conversation between the chap at the desk and the flight management people in a back office.
Some consistency from BA would be nice so as customers (and especially as customers who are keen enough on this matter to look on this forum) we can at least have something to work with.
Old May 10, 2019, 3:01 am

Programs: Mucci Blue, BAEC Gold, Blockbuster Video card
Originally Posted by Prospero
It is probably worth mentioning the A330/340 operated BA522 gets into MAD a good 10 hours after the 777.

Having recently done the BA522 outbound and BA459 inbound in business class, I found both flights very pleasant indeed. Of note, the inflight entertainment system was switched off on the 777 but was switched on for the duration of the Iberia service. Another observation was the measure of comfort - I know we like to knock Club World but my goodness, it is still an incredibly comfortable seat, especially in take-off/landing mode.
I quite often do the return leg on the A340 (haven't been since the 330 started on the route). I'm often down the back but I use the RJ website to allocate into the premium economy seats which is a great tradeoff for me. But even at the back it's a 2 at the window, and (usually) working IFE and at seat power, so I think it's a great product on that route....

However for the bog standard single aisle aircraft I'll prefer a BA over IB flight most of the time.
Old May 10, 2019, 6:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
The RJ trick doesn't work any longer unfortunately.
Old May 15, 2019, 4:40 am

Programs: Mucci Blue, BAEC Gold, Blockbuster Video card
Originally Posted by BA6501
The RJ trick doesn't work any longer unfortunately.
WHATTTTTTT??????? Noooooo
Old May 18, 2019, 11:02 am

Programs: BA, EI, IB, Hilton Honors
So much for my 777 today. Ended up being an A321...
Old Jul 16, 2019, 4:02 am

Deleted.
Jed, M17SST, tynmar and 2 others like this.

Last edited by TCX69; Feb 10, 2020 at 8:14 am
Old Jul 16, 2019, 7:10 am

Originally Posted by nshep
Took this flight recently from MAD to LHR I was connecting in Madrid and about two hours before departure while I was in the lounge noticed the F cabin was not showing as blocked on expert flyer (prior to this was blocked e.g at T72 and at online check in). Quick call to BA exec club and I was moved from my club seat to first. (Ticket was club Europe Avios Redemption And I am BA silver).

can confirm its it’s an awesome flight to take if you can get yourself into F seat 😂
Great perk for being a silver..
Old Nov 8, 2019, 8:26 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Am booked in 28J Bulkhead Y seat on the 777-300ER (Will be looking to push into W at check in) but does anyone know if legroom is restricted because of bulkhead wall or a bit extra ? I realise its only 2hour flight but just tying to make the most of it ! Cheers.
Old Feb 9, 2023, 4:51 am

777 or other wide body on MAD?

Hi. Does this still happen on this route, like IB still do due to cargo business? Thanks.
Old Feb 9, 2023, 5:00 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by northeastflyer
Hi. Does this still happen on this route, like IB still do due to cargo business? Thanks.
No more BA 777 / widebody on MAD. Only IB with daily 330/350.
Old Feb 9, 2023, 6:18 am

Programs: Virgin Flying Club Silver, Executive Club Blue, Miles & More, Priority Club Gold, Skywards Blue
Flew on Friday LHR-MAD on Iberia's A333 and managed to sit in their Premium Economy cabin. IFE was working and my husband even watched a full length film. That was booked via BA Holidays for a long weekend in Madrid.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.