Micro-nation BAEC membership?

Old May 15, 2017, 8:01 am
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Micro-nation BAEC membership?

I recently left the UK for a small semi-independent nation in the Caribbean. Independent enough for its own entry in the "Country" list on BAEC in any case.

It looks like I was the first BAEC member from there, as it took about 2 months to get BA tech support to change my country of membership in my address, but it eventually got there.

Now though, I seem to have gotten myself in a spot of bother. It turns out that I'm unable to search for Avios on ba.com (I always get a message telling me the system is down), and on calling the BA Silver line in the UK I was told they were no longer able to help me with any Avios bookings. They suggested calling the US, but I hung up after 30min on hold - I'm also sceptical that the US is going to be more internationally oriented than BA head office? I also did the usual "hang up and try again" trick, but got India whose systems are apparently completely down.

Three questions for you all:
  • Has anyone else come across this kind of issue from a country without its own BA office? I thought the offices were globalised a few years ago?
  • Does anyone have any suggestions of what I should be doing differently in navigating the different offices, call centres and support systems to try to get this fixed?
  • Can someone please please please do me a favour and let me know if there is any Business or First Avios availability on any LON-NYC single routing anytime between the 20th and 22nd of May?
Old May 15, 2017, 8:14 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Well that's an unusual one for sure.

If you have an address in the UK I'd suggest you revert to that address as I can't see any advantage of having it set locally.

No luck with the CW or F availability either. Best I can see is WTP on the 183 on 5/20.
Old May 15, 2017, 8:17 am

Programs: BAEC Gold (GGL/CCR), HHonors Diamond
The silver line telling you not being able to help is wrong. BAEC has stated that you can now call any office not just your "home" office.
Old May 15, 2017, 8:23 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

No local office here so I get a free phone number which used to connect with the US centre then changed to Bremen. No idea where it'll send me now though.
Old May 15, 2017, 8:45 am

Programs: BA Oneworld
I always call the office in the UK. Never had any issues with that.
Old May 15, 2017, 8:55 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, MILLEMIGLIA Freccia Alata, M&M Blue
Never had any issues calling other BA offices.
Old May 15, 2017, 8:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by golfmad
No luck with the CW or F availability either. Best I can see is WTP on the 183 on 5/20.
Thanks - that was worth a try. I might hold that until a bit closer to the date and see if I can do any better, though I'm a bit nervous that none of the offices can access my Avios.
Old May 15, 2017, 9:16 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
What country?
Old May 15, 2017, 9:43 am

Programs: Mucci de Guardian des Celliers des Grands Crus 1e Classé, plus BAEC.
The Cayman Islands? Turks and Caicos? Guess it doesn't have to be a direct BA destination, sounds pleasant anyway :-)
Old May 15, 2017, 9:47 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LondonElite
What country?
Bonaire St Eustatious and Saba.

Anyways, I realised that I could book on avios.com, so I've tentatively booked myself a WT fare for now - though according to a(nother) agent I was speaking to I can't select a seat until check-in as it's a new ultra-low end type of WT ticket (is that now a thing for Silvers?). I am not feeling a lot of love for BA at the moment.

I spent all last week on the phone to them getting myself back up to Silver after they downgraded me from Bronze as some RJ flights took months to post. The last agent couldn't even tell me if they were looking to fix my account or not.
Old May 15, 2017, 10:05 am

Programs: Mucci de Guardian des Celliers des Grands Crus 1e Classé, plus BAEC.
[QUOTE=EuropeanPete;28314056]Bonaire St Eustatious and Saba./QUOTE]

I wasn't even close.

I've now learnt my new fact of the day. I sympathise with your struggles EuropeanPete, is there a particular benefit to changing the BAEC country of residence in this case?
Old May 15, 2017, 10:07 am
Original Poster

I was just trying to be accurate, but I think I'm about to transfer it back to the UK. This is not working out for me.
Old May 15, 2017, 10:10 am

Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
I was just trying to be accurate, but I think I'm about to transfer it back to the UK. This is not working out for me.
The redemption situation or the country???
Old May 15, 2017, 10:18 am

Programs: BA GGL, A3*G, Mucci de l'expertise des Apps
As BES are not countries, presumably the only reason they exist in the country list is for postal reasons?
Old May 15, 2017, 10:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
Bonaire St Eustatious and Saba.

Anyways, I realised that I could book on avios.com, so I've tentatively booked myself a WT fare for now - though according to a(nother) agent I was speaking to I can't select a seat until check-in as it's a new ultra-low end type of WT ticket (is that now a thing for Silvers?). I am not feeling a lot of love for BA at the moment.

I spent all last week on the phone to them getting myself back up to Silver after they downgraded me from Bronze as some RJ flights took months to post. The last agent couldn't even tell me if they were looking to fix my account or not.
One of the few groups of islands I've never been to.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.