Show credit card

Old May 15, 2017, 6:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Gold
Show credit card

I am booking an avios trip on Iberia.com LHR - MAD - RAK BA/IB

I get this message when I try to pay:

"For the correct verification of the payment card holder´s identity, the holder must show the card on the day of departure of the flight at the check-in desk. To the contrary, the passenger in the booking will be refused embarkation.
The card will only be required at the first starting point of the trip (not on the return trip or connecting flights).
Virtual cards
Virtual cards are not admitted as forms of payment. The purchase of a ticket with a virtual card means you will NOT BE ADMITTED on the flight, being able to fly only by purchasing a new ticket at the time of departure. Return to previous page and modify your form of payment."

Someone is paying for the ticket and therefore wont be there to show the card. Will BA enforce this show card rule at Heathrow?

Many thanks,
Old May 15, 2017, 7:50 am
gms

Programs: BA Gold / GfL, Hilton Diamond
If you told BA when you booked that the cardholder was not travelling then they won't insist on this (e.g. booking online there is a tick box to this effect).

If you didn't do this then it could cause you problems.
Old May 15, 2017, 8:01 am

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
The wording on BA.com is that if the card holder is travelling then the payment card may be required to be shown, though it doesn't say what may be required if the holder is not travelling. The OP is purchasing and quoting from Iberia.com but checking in with BA at LHR so BA rules would apply.
Old May 16, 2017, 7:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Gold
so, if I book this on Iberia.com - will it be OK if i take a photocopy of the credit card.

Is it likely that I will be asked to show the credit card as I booked it on Iberia but I am flying with BA?
Old May 16, 2017, 7:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
Doubt BA will care, as they are not the ones issuing the ticket. It's similar to buying from an OTA and then travelling on QR/CX/another airline that's picky about showing credit cards.
Old May 16, 2017, 8:17 am

Programs: BA EC
Originally Posted by BA6501
Doubt BA will care, as they are not the ones issuing the ticket. It's similar to buying from an OTA and then travelling on QR/CX/another airline that's picky about showing credit cards.
I believe if one use a fake credit card, OTA will suffer and they still need to pay the airline the fare.

If one buy it directly from airline website, the airline will suffer.

BTW, why dont fly LGW-RAK direct?
Old May 16, 2017, 8:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, but this is a different airline issuing the ticket (075 vs 125). I'd be surprised if BA could even see the details of payment.
Old May 16, 2017, 8:28 am

Is the flight from lhr on BA or IB metal?
Old May 16, 2017, 8:41 am
gms

Programs: BA Gold / GfL, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by studentflyer96
so, if I book this on Iberia.com - will it be OK if i take a photocopy of the credit card.

Is it likely that I will be asked to show the credit card as I booked it on Iberia but I am flying with BA?
I doubt many people would accept a photocopy of a credit card as proof of anything!

From a quick search on Iberia.com (my bolding):
Do I have to show my credit card at the airport?

You do not always have to show the credit card used to buy the ticket at the airport on the day of departure.
When you purchase your ticket (either through Iberia.com or by calling Serviberia) and depending on a number of factors, such as flight dates, destination, cost of the ticket and the country where the credit card was issued, you will be notified immediately if you need to show your credit card at the airport on the day of departure.
If you purchased your ticket from an Iberia ticket office or a travel agent's, please check again with the issuing office. If you are told upon purchasing your ticket that a credit card should be presented, you MAY NOT use a virtual card, remember that Iberia does not accept virtual cards for the purchase of tickets.
So if Iberia.com is telling you that you will need to show the payment card, then you will be a bit stuck if they do ask to see it. Others can better advise as to whether BA will want to see this at LHR on your departure.

I have not booked on Iberia.com for years, so am not sure if there is a 'cardholder not travelling' option like on BA.com. If not, you might want to consider booking by phone to confirm with Iberia.com it will not cause any problems.
Old May 16, 2017, 10:49 am

Originally Posted by studentflyer96

I dont think BA will accept a photocopy of the credit card, man I dont know what to do in your situation. maybe ask to borrow your friends credit card and give him yours while you're away.
Old May 16, 2017, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cbagent
Is the flight from lhr on BA or IB metal?
I don't think it matters, as all flights depart as BA flights from T5. A "ghost" PNR will be created on flight BA5xx, even though the flight really is operated by Iberia.
Old May 16, 2017, 11:00 am

Originally Posted by BA6501
I don't think it matters, as all flights depart as BA flights from T5. A "ghost" PNR will be created on flight BA5xx, even though the flight really is operated by Iberia.
But if it is a 075 ticket and IB are the operating carrier and if IB state that card needs to be produced at check in then I would expect that this will be rigidly enforced.
Old May 16, 2017, 11:07 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat
Just curious, is this another security measure they implemented recently or just another money grab attempt? I've never heard of any airline ask for payment verification at checkin.
Old May 16, 2017, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's a security (fraud protection) measure that has been around for ages.
Old May 16, 2017, 4:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Explorer789
I've never heard of any airline ask for payment verification at checkin.
You have now!

BA used to do this more than it does now. It was actually quite routine for a while when online bookings began to be offered. Then there was a phase when certain passenger characteristics (eg higher-tier BAEC membership) would tend to exempt you from the check - although that wasn't universal and I remember one occasion when I was the last person of the group of three to arrive at the airport and BA simply wouldn't print BPs for the other two until I'd got there. Now, it's unusual for me to be asked, but it still sometimes happens - particularly with Comair in South Africa.

About 10 years ago, I booked a ticket for a friend on CX to fly from HKG to somewhere like NRT. The way that our plans evolved, I ended up departing HKG earlier than she did, taking the credit card with me. She found that she couldn't travel without paying CX again for the ticket with her card, with me getting a refund afterwards.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.