Well thanks BA - Receipt to non-lead pax

Old May 15, 2017, 7:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by windowontheAside
In answer to other replies, we don't have a HHA.
Just to be clear - whose Avios did you use to make the booking?

I also don't understand why, if you used your Avios, you would enter his EC number.
Old May 15, 2017, 7:52 am

Programs: BA GGL, FPC Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Amb
There is no question in my view that there is a breach of privacy rights here.

When I book a redemption flight on behalf of other people in my household account, I have to confirm that I have the other passengers' permission before I do something as simple as change seating. But nowhere in the process am I asked if I want to send e-ticket receipt to the passenger.

The only question in my mind is which account is the "head of household" account. There may be something in the fine print of the household account agreement that says that the head of household account always gets notified of transactions by other members of the household, in which case there is a question of whether the contractual waiver of privacy rights prevails over their statutory protection.
Old May 15, 2017, 7:53 am

Programs: Ex-BA/AA/CP/LY staff, BA Executive Club Blue, IHG Diamond, Marriott Silver, Chick-fil-A Red
It is alphabetical. He became passenger 1 in the PNR and so his email appeared 1st in the contact details.

Annoying, but how it currently works.

Had his BAEC number not been added, his email wouldn't have been in the PNR.
Old May 15, 2017, 8:04 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by irishguy28
Just to be clear - whose Avios did you use to make the booking?

I also don't understand why, if you used your Avios, you would enter his EC number.
I used my Avios. We have no HHA so I had no other option.

I didn't explicitly add his EC as such - I picked his name from my F&F list (which of course includes his EC details).

Interesting that it's alphabetic. Seems like that would get it wrong about half the time then?

Just as well my name falls ahead of my mother's. She'd be mortified to find out how much a trip cost.
Old May 15, 2017, 8:46 am

This has happened to me before - my avios booked for two of us, no HHA and the other passenger got the receipt. Thanks for the explanation JAXBA- will remove his BAEC next time as it is of no use for a redemption booking anyway
Old May 15, 2017, 8:58 am

Programs: BA Gold, HH Diamond
Interesting that it's alphabetic. Seems like that would get it wrong about half the time then?

Just as well my name falls ahead of my mother's. She'd be mortified to find out how much a trip cost.
Even better, it's not actually alphabetical based on names, but rather on titles. This means that even though both my first and last names come before Mr JtO's in the alphabet, he gets all the emails about changes to our joint flights because I'm a Mrs in BA's system- which comes after Mr.

This drives me mad!!!!!
Old May 15, 2017, 9:00 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JustTheOne
Even better, it's not actually alphabetical based on names, but rather on titles. This means that even though both my first and last names come before Mr JtO's in the alphabet, he gets all the emails about changes to our joint flights because I'm a Mrs in BA's system- which comes after Mr.

This drives me mad!!!!!
Aha! Not so good then. WotAsMum is a Mrs, and I'm a Ms. So I guess she would get it.

Actually that explains a lot. I guess that the majority of leading pax are indeed men, and therefore they would always get the receipt. So relatively low noise on this score, rather than the more random distribution of names.

Maybe it's time to become Dr WotAs as far as BA is concerned?

*dons flak jacket*
Old May 15, 2017, 11:21 am

Programs: EI AerClub Concierge, EK Gold, BA Gold, BD Gold (Retired), HHonors Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by JustTheOne

This drives me mad!!!!!
Interesting and explains some weirdness on a redemption a few years ago.

Is there a documented policy on multi-PAX itinerary electronic comms? e.g. for group bookings?
Old May 15, 2017, 11:37 am

Programs: Status with BA Exec Club; KrisFlyer; Hilton Honors; IHG One; Marriott Bonvoy
Whatever the technical reason it is not legal to share payment details with other passengers without consent. OP @Windowontheaisle, if you can be bothered, complain to BA, then take the copy-and-paste response you'll get to the information commissioner. I've complained (successfully) before (not about BA).
Old May 15, 2017, 12:36 pm

Programs: AA, DL, Avis, Enterprise, National, IHG, HH, SPG/MR
So you used his credentials (FF number) to book a trip and you're surprised he got an email about it?

I would hope that is what would happen...
Old May 15, 2017, 1:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kb9522
So you used his credentials (FF number) to book a trip and you're surprised he got an email about it?

I would hope that is what would happen...

Ummmm.... did you read this thread? I'm complaining that he received MY receipt with MY payment information.
Old May 15, 2017, 1:51 pm

Ummmm.... did you read this thread? I'm complaining that he received MY receipt with MY payment information.
I did, including the part where you said you used his BAEC number... Did you really expect for him to not find out about the trip when you used his information as part of the reservation?
Old May 15, 2017, 1:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I'm not arguing that.

But he was given more details than just his part of the transaction. That's my issue. And I wasn't sent a receipt at all.

Don't you see any issue with his being sent an email that's explicitly addressed to me?

In answer to other replies, we don't have a HHA.
What I see is that

You put his membership details in the booking - his membership details were used to provide him details about a booking which he was part of.

That the system failed to also send you details about it is a failing ; if you contact BA I am sure that it will rectify this and send you a copy

There is not 2 parts to a booking - it is 1 booking with 2 people. If you had made 2 separate bookings rather than 1 booking of 2 people, I would agree that there is no way he should have received details of your booking. The price of a booking is not personal information. The credit card was used to pay for his ticket - giving him details of his booking is no breach of privacy ; you used your payment card details - by choice to pay for HIS ticket. He is entitled to details of his booking and that includes payment information

Last edited by Dave Noble; May 15, 2017 at 2:00 pm
Old May 15, 2017, 1:53 pm

Programs: HH - Gold, BA - Blue
Originally Posted by kb9522
I did, including the part where you said you used his BAEC number... Did you really expect for him to not find out about the trip when you used his information as part of the reservation?
I think you're missing the point...
Old May 15, 2017, 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by Orange.Man
I think you're missing the point...
I must be.

Sounded like OP was upset that BA spoiled the surprise... I don't see why she would be shocked about it if she used the recipient's information on the reservation.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.