Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

What is the likelihood... [of Belgrade flights returning to the schedule?]

Old May 15, 17, 2:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Bronze

Good morning all!

Alas 7 years ago BA decided to stop flying to Belgrade. I was wondering what is the likelihood of BA flying to Belgrade once again?

Ta!
Old May 15, 17, 2:57 am

Programs: BAEC, LHM&M, and even a dusty KLFB!
Originally Posted by ILikePancakes View Post
Good morning all!

Alas 7 years ago BA decided to stop flying to Belgrade. I was wondering what is the likelihood of BA flying to Belgrade once again?

Ta!
Well, these days - where BA are happy to rely on handling agents downroute - it's relatively easy for them to give shorthaul routes a quick spin if they have the spare aircraft capacity.

Having said that, I think it's relatively unlikely for the following reasons:

- low (relatively) point-to-point business traffic between Serbia and London and vv
- low UK-bound point-to-point tourism (visa required)
- low Serbia-bound point-to-point tourism
- UK poorly placed for European connections
- UK very poorly placed for East-bound connections: LH, ME3, TK etc much more attractive
- rotation takes good 6 hours of aircraft/crew time, so you want to ensure it makes money
Old May 15, 17, 3:01 am

Programs: BA Silver - hard drop from GGL :( SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, AC E50k
Would it be possible to get the title changed to "What is the likelihood that BA will start flying to Belgrade again?"

Personally, I have no interest in Belgrade, many others may... Just makes it a bit easier what threads to read and which ones not to...

Many thanks!
Old May 15, 17, 9:19 pm

In a former life, I spent a good deal of time on the 888 and 889 as was. I miss it so.

Short answer to your question is probably not in the near future.

There's only so much demand BEG-LON. And it's limited to those Serb nationals that can get a UK visa. Transfer pax heading west across the Atlantic have better options through FRA/MUC/FCO/CDG/AMS. And JU now has a direct A330 service most days BEG-JFK.

O&D business is acommodated adequately, it seems, by JU and Wizzair.

It's a shame. One of Europe's great capital cities and not on the BA route network.
Old May 16, 17, 1:05 am
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Most premium traffic of which there probably isn't much would choose air Serbia given the much better hard and soft product absent a desire for BA points etc.
Old May 16, 17, 1:51 am

Programs: BA GGL, British Midland Lifetime* Loser
I would LOVE to see a return to BEG.
Originally Posted by knifeandfork View Post
O&D business is acommodated adequately, it seems, by JU and Wizzair.
Hmm. I agree that the Visa issues and lack of adequate facilities at the airport make it tough. But the Wizzair tp LTN (LTN!) is PACKED with suits even though the timings are brutally awful, it's expensive and it's only on a few days of the week. While that doesn't mean it would be a profitable for BA, it seems odd BA can make eg TLL, ZAG and KBP work but not BEG.
Old May 16, 17, 2:52 am
Original Poster

Thanks all for the replies.

It is indeed a shame. Wizz flight times are really rubbish, and getting very pricy indeed. I've found it often cheaper (and way more convenient flight times) to fly with Swiss via Zurich from LHR/LCY.

Ah well, one can but wish
Old May 16, 17, 2:54 am
Original Poster

One thing to mention though... BEG airport has been going through a hell of a lot of redevelopment. I read in their airport magazine that they're expecting around 7M passengers this year (up from 5M a couple of years ago). Of course that pails into comparison with our airports, but there does seem to be a significant increase in visitors flying in...
Old May 16, 17, 2:58 am

Programs: BA GGL, British Midland Lifetime* Loser
That's good to hear; it's currently my least favourite airport in Europe and that awful, grim gate that Wizzair uses for LTN flights is the worst of the worst.
Old May 16, 17, 12:49 pm

Originally Posted by ajamieson View Post
I would LOVE to see a return to BEG.

Hmm. I agree that the Visa issues and lack of adequate facilities at the airport make it tough. But the Wizzair tp LTN (LTN!) is PACKED with suits even though the timings are brutally awful, it's expensive and it's only on a few days of the week. While that doesn't mean it would be a profitable for BA, it seems odd BA can make eg TLL, ZAG and KBP work but not BEG.

I confess, I've not been on the Wizzair flights.

Fair point about KBP, but surely the other two have differing visa situations to Serbia. Estonia is a full EU member and Croatia has pre-accession status, doesn't it? I'll admit I don't fully know what that means for Croatian nationals visiting the UK.

The old BA flight schedule was something approaching ideal. Earlyish departure from LHR getting you into BEG in time for a capable lunch in Zemun. Lunchtime departure from BEG allowing for a casual breakfast before heading to Surčin.
Old Jul 2, 18, 7:06 am

Programs: MVPGold 75K
who should we contact to inquire if BEG is on a radar with BA?
Old Jul 2, 18, 7:18 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, A3*G, UA 1K, Mucci de l'expertise des Apps
Originally Posted by felicidad76 View Post
who should we contact to inquire if BEG is on a radar with BA?

Old Jul 2, 18, 7:50 am

Programs: BAEC-Silver, AMEX-BA Prem' Plus & Standard, Accor Gold, HH-Silver, IHG,IBIS On Business
Originally Posted by knifeandfork View Post
I confess, I've not been on the Wizzair flights.

Fair point about KBP, but surely the other two have differing visa situations to Serbia. Estonia is a full EU member and Croatia has pre-accession status, doesn't it? I'll admit I don't fully know what that means for Croatian nationals visiting the UK.

The old BA flight schedule was something approaching ideal. Earlyish departure from LHR getting you into BEG in time for a capable lunch in Zemun. Lunchtime departure from BEG allowing for a casual breakfast before heading to Surčin.

Yes Croata is VISA free and it applies both ways ( aslong as the Croatian National isn't coming to the UK for work). Bosnia Herzegovina technically requires UK visitors to have a visa however I took a day trip on a coach from Dubrovnik to Mostar in May & while transiting through the 2 border posts / 4 checkpoints no stamps were added to our passports although they were to the 5 Australians in our party. We even asked if we could have the stamps but neither the Croats or B&H border guards seemed to have much of a sense of humor at any of them & it was a firm no.

I am unaware of how efficient the Serb VISA system is as haven't been there but it's often a factor for travellers. Using the US as an example If you need and ESTA then it's pretty painless but as someone who always needs a US VISA it's expensive, very time consuming & annoying & if I didn't need to go then I wouldn't bother. I think there is a bit of wiggle room / 'fluid application' of travel requirements for all the ex YUGO countries to a degree( we heard numerous examples of the EU turning a blind eye & experienced it ourselves as per above) but of course airlines have to go with the official line.
Old Jul 2, 18, 7:54 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by TWCLAM View Post
Bosnia Herzegovina technically requires UK visitors to have a visa ...
Bosnia doesn't require visas for UK passport holders:

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-ad...y-requirements

British nationals donít need a visa to visit Bosnia and Herzegovina for a total period of no longer than 90 days within a period of 6 months following your first entry.
and neither does Serbia

British passport holders donít need a visa to visit Serbia for up to 90 days.
TWCLAM likes this.
Old Jul 2, 18, 8:01 am

Programs: BAEC-Silver, AMEX-BA Prem' Plus & Standard, Accor Gold, HH-Silver, IHG,IBIS On Business
Originally Posted by KARFA View Post
Bosnia doesn't require visas for UK passport holders:

and neither does Serbia

There was in our case, a land border crossing, the distinct possibility that it was one of those highly local issues as the particular crossing points were a bone of contention between the two nations and that was were the alleged requirement stemmed from. Although as I write this my brain has kicked in and reminded me that a stamp in a passport isn't necessarily seen as a VISA and i'm an idiot.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: