5,000 Avios for no meal in CE?

Old May 13, 2017, 11:32 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by 81romeo
Not if your special meal is a kosher one....
Only if such a meal was selected for religious reasons ...
Old May 13, 2017, 11:39 am

Programs: BAGGL, A3G, Accor Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, LHW Sterling
It seems fine to me.
The cost of the meal is nothing like this (I would guess the initial offer is more around this level) so this seems like some genuine compensation for inconvenience/dropped service component.
Was it a shorter or a longer band? I might feel differently on a longer band but all in all i think a decent result, and one to move on from, methinks.
Old May 13, 2017, 12:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR; TK Elite; ITA Executive; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by Woodbinerich
It seems fine to me.
The cost of the meal is nothing like this (I would guess the initial offer is more around this level) so this seems like some genuine compensation for inconvenience/dropped service component.
Was it a shorter or a longer band? I might feel differently on a longer band but all in all i think a decent result, and one to move on from, methinks.
Thanks for your feedback, it was a FRA so it was short band
Old May 13, 2017, 12:08 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Accepted 5,000 Avios eventually but still not sure the compensation is adequate.

Any thoughts?

Here is my thoughts. Not great at all your meal wasn't loaded which is the main point and especially if you were really looking forward to it so you have my sympathies there. However now that it has happened I think 5k is generally reasonable as an offer of compensation for a short CE flight.

Wasn't there something you could have bought from the BoB menu then send the receipts to BA as NWIFlyer stated?
Old May 13, 2017, 12:37 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

81romeo, reading from your previous posts, you seem to enjoy a broad range of cuisines so if you were hungry at the time why didn't you just take the standard offering? Better to have something to snack on rather than go hungry even if it's not precisely what you planned on eating.
Old May 13, 2017, 12:59 pm

My OH ordered a SPML recently for a ALC-LGW flight. While the SPML tray was present the corresponding hot main was not. It was mildly annoying for them but no biggy. CM made the appropriate notes on his iPad and left it at that.
One bag failed to make it at reclaim, baggage services desk closed due to the late arrival time (1130pm) and had to fill out a missing bag form. Called Exec Club the following lunchtime when no news had been fourth coming regarding the bag. Helpful guy on the phone traced the missing bag and arranged its delivery. Only during his sign off is there anything else I can do for you today did I think to mention the missing meal. 4000 avios offer made and accepted on behalf of my OH and added to their EC account immediately. It seemed a reasonable if not an overly generous amount (gone are those days!) and ultimately they are happy enough with this gesture. I would say 2000 would be low and had this amount been offered I would have challenged for something higher. When you saw what the alternatives were on the standard meal, you would realise you weren't missing much.
Old May 13, 2017, 1:13 pm

A couple of years ago I was only given 6,000 Avios for missing kosher meal LHR-BKK in CW as GCH - 12 hour fiight. I couldn't eat anything at all, as strictly orthodox (OK crew did find me an apple..).
Crew confirmed it was catering error, as kosher meal was confirmed on their manifest, but said they didn't want to delay flight by asking catering for missing meal at 10pm.
Even after much argument and escalation they were unwilling to increase compensation.
I felt that was much too low, as was starving when we got to BKK (was planning on having dinner and beakfast on flight).
So 5K for FRA-LHR seems quite generous to me, especially if OP can eat other food...
Old May 13, 2017, 1:40 pm

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Full cash J, My special meal had not been loaded, no alternatives, nothing at all.

Customer Relations offered 2,000 Avios first to which I replied it was an insult.

Accepted 5,000 Avios eventually but still not sure the compensation is adequate.

Any thoughts?
Do not expect anything from Cruz!

There's an airline called Lufthansa and another called Trk Hava Yollari.
Old May 13, 2017, 1:51 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by miamiflyer8
Do not expect anything from Cruz!

What do you think would be a fair amount of avios for compensation in this instance?
Old May 13, 2017, 1:53 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
Originally Posted by 2035
A couple of years ago I was only given 6,000 Avios for missing kosher meal LHR-BKK in CW as GCH - 12 hour fiight. I couldn't eat anything at all, as strictly orthodox (OK crew did find me an apple..).
Crew confirmed it was catering error, as kosher meal was confirmed on their manifest, but said they didn't want to delay flight by asking catering for missing meal at 10pm.
Even after much argument and escalation they were unwilling to increase compensation.
I felt that was much too low, as was starving when we got to BKK (was planning on having dinner and beakfast on flight).
So 5K for FRA-LHR seems quite generous to me, especially if OP can eat other food...
If that was me I'd ask to be offloaded.. a colleague did that and they discovered his luggage was in one of the first bins loaded and crew were running out of hours. Colleague still asked to be offloaded and a special meal was delivered in 12 minutes

By way of compensation I'd expect a one way confirmed complimentary upgrade to CE on my next comparable flight to put me in the situation as if this hadn't happened.
Old May 13, 2017, 2:04 pm

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by KeaneJohn
By way of compensation I'd expect a one way confirmed complimentary upgrade to CE on my next comparable flight to put me in the situation as if this hadn't happened.
The avios offered actually are sufficient for that on a route of this length - although it is of course subject to availability and not booking in the very cheapest fare bucket. So while I don't see 5k as generous, I don't think it's derisory either.
Old May 13, 2017, 2:04 pm

Originally Posted by KeaneJohn
If that was me I'd ask to be offloaded.. a colleague did that and they discovered his luggage was in one of the first bins loaded and crew were running out of hours. Colleague still asked to be offloaded and a special meal was delivered in 12 minutes

They only told me after take-off that they discovered the error, but decided not to call catering (as supposedly they are closed at 10pm). I was very annoyed, especially at the very low compensation (and given that the only good kosher meals in long haul network are from London!)
Old May 13, 2017, 2:34 pm

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by KARFA
What do you think would be a fair amount of avios for compensation in this instance?
Either double amount of the avios or a full refund of the ticket.
Old May 13, 2017, 2:49 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
The former did fail to load the catering for J passengers on one of my flights. Thankfully it was only a short haul flight but no compensation. Not that I asked for any as I felt an apology from the senior cabin crew member was more than sufficient on a short flight. A decision was made to go without catering to keep their schedule integrity as it was going to take a while to get it and was going to miss the slot.
Old May 14, 2017, 12:37 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Either double amount of the avios or a full refund of the ticket.
A full refund? So you are putting no value on any other part of what the OP did receive?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.