Advice on CAI and HNL please

Old May 13, 2017, 7:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Hmmm ... our previous HNL hotel (The Pacific Beach) has been extensively refurbished and is now totally non-smoking. Won't be going there again!

... but it was reasonably priced, at the west end of "The Strip" and close to the Zoo. Everywhere was walkable anyway, wherever you end up. TR HERE, and the second one in my signature.
Old May 13, 2017, 7:18 am

The pyramids are indeed a disappointment,with campfires and old baked bean tins littered around,and indeed the camel rides are a ripoff.However,I am glad Mrs rapidex and I did it once.I have stayed in a number of the CAI hotels,and the Conrad or either of the Four seasons are ok.

I like the Royal hawaiian,but it is rather expensive with either cash or points.
Old May 13, 2017, 7:23 am
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Land-of-Miles
Until a couple of years ago I did a lot of ex CAI trips. CAI hotels are generally crap even the luxury brands.
Ummmm no.

The two Four Seasons' properties are stunning. The FS Nile Plaza is right on the Corniche, however the FS at the First Residence is more luxurious with views of the Pyramid but the location of Giza isn't convenient for tourists.

The new Ritz Carlton is the former Nile Hilton and is close up the Museum.

The St Regis is expected to open later this year.
Old May 13, 2017, 7:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I actually enjoy Cairo. It's not an easy place but the sense of history mingling with modern life is quite something. A few random tips

* get a car and driver for the day and get out to visit some of the other Pyramids at Saqqara and Dahshur. You'll have them pretty much to yourself and limited hassle
* Egyptian museum is a ratty old wreck with the most mind blowing collection. Go early and race to the Tutankhamen room then explore at your leisure. The mummies are controversial but I found fascinating
* Don't neglect the Islamic history. Midan al Hussein, Al Azhar, Khan el Khallil and tea/seesha at Fishawai's are a great afternoons explore along with just ambling the streets
* the regular IC is a bit tired but has ace restaurants and good service coupled with a stellar downtown location. The two Four Seasons are great properties too.
* do some reading on the history before you go. There are lots and lots of layers!

I've had little hassle there despite my regular MO being wandering aimlessly poking my nose into all sorts of interesting corners. If you look obviously lost, rich or dumb people will try it on. If you have some travel smarts, do a bit of research and act confidently all will go well. Regular Egyptians can be super helpful if you do get lost. Smile warmly, don't be arrogant and they'll love you

Heartiest commiserations on HNL, however. Grim.
Old May 13, 2017, 7:35 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Mucci Champion des Champions, BAG4L, *A Gold, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz Gold, Avis President
Originally Posted by TravellerFrequently
If you are happy to stay on Waikiki Beach, I would recommend a Regency Club room or suite at the Hyatt Regency. Across the road from the beach.

Stayed there last year and was impressed with the location and staff and am returning this year. Club access is well worth the cost.
Stayed at the Hyatt often and always had a great time. Helps if you have Hyatt status as the Regency Lounge is good. Hyatt have just opened a Centric hotel a short walk away - very funky.
Old May 13, 2017, 7:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Staying at the airport seems to be your best option if you're going just to start a cheap tier point run. Personally I'd rather stay at home earning zero tier points than ever go to Cairo again.
My least favourite city although others will no doubt love it.
Old May 13, 2017, 8:28 am

Cairo is like marmite for sure but if you love it if will love you back! The Sofitel downtown and st Regis are beautiful hotels down town, with the Sofitel having an infinity pool over the Nile and some good dining options. I would suggest you eat at sequoia a famed nightspot with fantastic views and delicious Lebanese tapas style food!
Old May 13, 2017, 8:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, UA Plat, DL Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by HIDDY
Staying at the airport seems to be your best option if you're going just to start a cheap tier point run. Personally I'd rather stay at home earning zero tier points than ever go to Cairo again.
My least favourite city although others will no doubt love it.
Nope not a TP run, more a TP-efficient holiday taking in 2 places she wanted to go (Cairo & Hawai'i) and 1 that I did (Hawai'i !).

We are under no obligation to stay in Honolulu - happy to overnight there on first and last and in between hit any other island(s) - suggestions on a postcard most welcome...
Old May 13, 2017, 8:45 am
Formerly known as linzbh

Programs: BAEC GGL, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by Fitch
Hi all,
we're flying into HNL so any advice on accommodation in particular would be great.
I would highly recommend The Modern in Waikiki.
its reasonable at about $300 a night and there are no additional resort fees.

the service is impeccable on every level, only thing I'm sad about is when we were there the day we arrived we just got room service and missed out on having dinner in the restaurant with the Obamas! :P
Old May 13, 2017, 10:39 am

Programs: I go wherever the content takes me.
Originally Posted by Diver Boy
I thought the GUF would apply to only the BA metal flights on the booking and as OP is on A380 LHR - LAX return that is where they used the GUF.
How does that square with the GUF terms and conditions?

8. Gold Upgrade vouchers cannot be applied to a booking containing any other carriers than British Airways.
Old May 13, 2017, 10:47 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
Originally Posted by paul4040

8. Gold Upgrade vouchers cannot be applied to a booking containing any other carriers than British Airways.
That has never been a problem IME.
Old May 13, 2017, 1:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
The Moana Surfrider was perfectly acceptable, but it wasn't amazing. If you're thinking of staying there, definitely go for a tower room with at least a partial ocean view.

I reviewed the property here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...ss-hawaii.html
Old May 13, 2017, 2:52 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by paul4040

The conclusion I came to was that this rule was flexible - subject to you finding a willing GGL agent.
Old May 13, 2017, 3:28 pm

+1 for pyramids at Dashur. Red pyramid is almost as big as the Giza pyramids but you have the place to yourself and can go inside without anyone else. Only trouble is it is back breaking to go down the shaft. Took me two weeks to stop aching.
Old May 13, 2017, 4:37 pm

HNL is Tokyo with a beach. Or Manhattan with a beach. It's fine, and I'd ask for a corner room in the pink palace with a view of both Diamond Head and the ocean. For one night. Done it. It's wonderful.

Then, I'd decide whether to do relaxing Hawaii (Kaua'i) or tourist Hawaii (Maui).
Each is only a twenty minute flight from HNL. Kauai is much more relaxed, more unspoiled, the so-called "garden island." Maui has a lot more to do.
Both are truly wonderful.

If you want to relax on the beach and see some amazing scenery, it's Kauai. If you want to do a lot more touristy things - like bicycling down Haleakala or driving the road to Hana - you'll love Maui.

Take a taste of Honolulu, but leave time to savor one of the neighbor islands.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.