Wiki Posts
Search

Someone smoking in Galleries First

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2017, 11:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA
Someone smoking in Galleries First

Someone was smoking right now in the galleries first men's toilets. Cleaning staff yelled out loud that smoking isn't allowed. But that seemed to be it. Is there not a fine to do this or any other penalties?
Old May 12, 2017, 11:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
I've often smelt smoke in toilets in the main terminal but not in the GF. I suppose people try it on, especially those connecting that discover there are no smoking options whatsoever
Old May 12, 2017, 11:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Recently I got yelled at in the south lounge showers, after some banging on the door, by a manager who thought I was smoking. I shouted back that I wasn't, but when I came out I was told off again. Face-to-face, she was finally prepared to accept that I was telling the truth (as I'm not and have never been a smoker)!

But clearly, it happens.
Old May 12, 2017, 12:04 pm
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
In answer to the OP, as a very broad statement yes it's against the law to smoke in an enclosed public space or workplace (which the whole of the inside of an airport would qualify as).

Technically an on-the-spot fine could be imposed, but that would need someone with the required legal authority, so in practice this doesn't happen - and I suspect BA really wouldn't want to have that line taken with a customer.
Old May 12, 2017, 12:15 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Melia Gold, Shangri-La Jade, BA Amex PP, Iberia+, Nandos Card
Originally Posted by NWIFlyer
Technically an on-the-spot fine could be imposed, but that would need someone with the required legal authority, so in practice this doesn't happen - and I suspect BA really wouldn't want to have that line taken with a customer.
I make you right, but if you want to deter others...
Old May 12, 2017, 12:29 pm

Programs: BA Gold Guest List, Concorde Room Card, Hilton Diamond
I do think it quite poor that one cannot smoke airside at Terminal 5.

Terminal 4 is the only terminal at Heathrow where it is possible, I believe.

Of course good lounges, like the Lufthansa First Class terminal, are well-designed to accommodate the needs of the smoker.
Old May 12, 2017, 1:13 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Not having an outside area for smokers at Terminal 5 was just stupid and now of course those connecting on short visits have a crafty one in the toilet cubicles.

is this because they are bad people?
Old May 12, 2017, 1:20 pm

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
How about people simply don't smoke indoors? I find it perfectly justified. If you want, have 100 cigarettes outside T5 at the entrance and if the landings are at 09L you can enjoy a nice view while doing so! (provided it is not too chilly of course)!
Old May 12, 2017, 1:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by ba_cityflyer
There are no official smoking areas airside at LHR LHR smoking notice

As to enforcement the local council and port health authorities are responsible for issuing the fines and enforcement notices but the premises operator is responsible for initial enforcement and can be fined if they repeatedly fail to enforce the law.
Old May 12, 2017, 1:23 pm

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG Titanium (LT Gold), Aegean Gold, BA Silver
Originally Posted by ba_cityflyer
I do think it quite poor that one cannot smoke airside at Terminal 5.

Of course good lounges, like the Lufthansa First Class terminal, are well-designed to accommodate the needs of the smoker.
I think LHR is totally smoke free these days
Old May 12, 2017, 1:23 pm

Programs: Not much these days: BA Silver, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold, HH Gold
Originally Posted by ahmetdouas
How about people simply don't smoke indoors? I find it perfectly justified. If you want, have 100 cigarettes outside T5 at the entrance and if the landings are at 09L you can enjoy a nice view while doing so! (provided it is not too chilly of course)!
This doesn't help if you're a connecting passenger with no rights to enter the UK.

(Note: not a smoker myself, just pointing out that this isn't an option for everyone!)
Old May 12, 2017, 1:39 pm

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
Originally Posted by ExpatSomchai
Not in front of T5 departures it isn't. You always have a collection of people having a smoke there!
Old May 12, 2017, 1:46 pm

Programs: BA Gold , Mucci recipient. Coffee Drinker, Blue Sky Thinker
Saw a guy on my flight to Punta Cana suck on his electric cigarette in the darkness this week.. Just once.. No smell and a little puff of vapour.. I was surprised but I guess it happens every day somewhere or another.
Old May 12, 2017, 1:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
There are no official smoking areas airside at LHR LHR smoking notice
Originally Posted by ExpatSomchai
Smoking is permitted in designated areas outside terminal buildings landside - the designated areas are signed away from the main terminal entrances, although with T3 in particular one often has to walk through a cloud of smoke.

There is one airside smoking area at T4, which is basically an outdoor cage.
Old May 12, 2017, 1:59 pm

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG Titanium (LT Gold), Aegean Gold, BA Silver
Airside? Must have missed that

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.