Wiki Posts
Search

Self service bag tagging at T5

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2017, 7:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Blue (back to Earth)
Self service bag tagging at T5

Huge thanks to the staff here. I was running late after a meeting over ran and was unaware that
1) BA had further cut making me do the work their staff used to do and
2) I was unaware that one or two zones were still staffed as I didn't have the spare time to walk the length of T5 to check

Given my worries on conformance, I foolishly asked the Tesco style floor walker to do it for me as I always got it badly wrong the two times I tried at Gatters.
Huge mistake. That's NOT what she's there for, by God no. The nice lady explained in no uncertain terms that she's there to guide me but not to do it. I have to learn you see, as Teacher is only there for two weeks then us plebs are all on our own. Huge thanks to BA for talking to customers like they're stupid kids and even my best "please help" got me nowhere. It's my own fault for being late of course....but they're really giving up on "To fly, to serve". Just rebrand as Level and at least be honest about it.
Old May 12, 2017, 7:58 am

Programs: Lemonia. Best Greek ever.
I hate it, too. I would rather queue and have someone do it for me. BUT....

But it isn't that difficult.
Old May 12, 2017, 8:06 am

Programs: BA Silver
What issues did you have a Gatwick? I've used them a few times and found them quite easy to use (apart from the weird scanny thing at the end). Far better than the TERRIBLE self service checkouts at supermarkets. Whoever supplied them to BA obviously did some QA on the units unlike the supermarkets.
Old May 12, 2017, 8:51 am

Programs: BA Bronze
I have done this on AA (ORD)- tagged my bag and then handed it over to the bag drop agent. The agent then peeled the tag apart to put a priority tag on.
When I retrieved the bag at LGA it was hanging on with willpower alone.
My take on this is they are fine (and easy to do if you are used to following written instructions) unless someone tries to add a tag between the adhesive strip.
Old May 12, 2017, 12:29 pm

Programs: OW Saphire, Club Carlson Gold
Im always concerned i dont stick the tag on properly, and then when lost be blamed for the lost baggage because it was my fault.

On the other and, i use these all the time in Asia where they are common place. it really speeds things up when you get the hang of it. LHR needs a status-only self check area as first timers cause a backlog
Old May 12, 2017, 12:33 pm

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
Can we have a moron's guide on here because I don't trust myself. Mind your I did in Sydney once on a domestic QF and the bag was delivered ok so I guess I am just about competent enough.
Old May 12, 2017, 1:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
this old bloke has managed it twice at DUB whilst venturing into the world of EI. It gets easier with practice, but as smala01 says, you worry that it will stay in place. missdemeaner's point is highly relevant, too.
Old May 12, 2017, 5:04 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
I'm confused, why didn't you go to J check in given your Bronze if it was such an issue?
Old May 13, 2017, 1:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by skipness1E
Huge thanks to the staff here. I was running late after a meeting over ran and was unaware that
1) BA had further cut making me do the work their staff used to do and
2) I was unaware that one or two zones were still staffed as I didn't have the spare time to walk the length of T5 to check
The last time I was at T5 (which was about a month ago now), I saw some big signs about self-tagging which I think set out which zones the self-tag machines were in and which zones were still staffed. The ones I specifically remembered were where you enter the main floor from the HEX and Tube, and in a similar place towards the southern end of the check-in floor. I noticed them because I'm one of those who's always found self-tagging more challenging than it ought to be - probably something to do with my chronic lack of physical coordination. Maybe the signs need to be simpler and clearer.
Old May 13, 2017, 2:00 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer

Old May 13, 2017, 8:15 am

Programs: BA Silver, VS Red, OZ Silver
I'd take a self bag drop over an agent any day.

If I'm tagging my bag, I make sure it's affixed properly, with the little peel-off barcodes stuck on my suitcase as an added protection against the tag being ripped off.

When a bag drop agent does it, it's often stuck on improperly and they only stick on the little stickers 30% of the time.

But yeah, self-tagging with AA when you need a priority tag is pointless.
Old May 13, 2017, 8:27 am

Programs: BA Silver, VS, Costa Coffee, My Waitrose
Self serve is so easy, I guess the self entitled elites don't get the benefit.
Old May 13, 2017, 8:53 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Lgwfan
I've paid for a service and I expect to receive it. And, I'm just not sure I like doing BA's job for it.
Old May 13, 2017, 9:06 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
Sincerely, I prefer a regular check-in desk/bag drop for my luggage.
Old May 13, 2017, 9:07 am

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
Originally Posted by Lgwfan
I don't see any benefit to anyone but BA's ability to cut payroll costs

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.