BA and Doha

Old Jul 31, 2018, 12:25 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by TedToToe
With so many cancellations, how is BA managing the LHR 'use it or lose it' slot rule? I doubt they have operated the flight on 80% of days!
The slot allocation has a clause (2.4 and 5.3 are are the relevant bits AFAIK) to allow for exceptional circumstances. I'd suspect BA will say it's wrapped up in the whole 787 thing and thus is beyond their control. There is a reluctance to run a "rusty rails" service, where an empty aircraft uses the slot to go somewhere cheap (e.g. Cardiff), but it does still get done from time to time so you may find the slot protected by a combination of means.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 1:50 am

Just had an email to say my Heathrow-Doha (BA123) on Sat 22 Sep has been cancelled so looks like the cancellations have just been extended.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 4:42 am

Programs: BAEC bouncing from Blue to Gold to Blue VSFC Red CXGreen Club Accor Platinum Hilton Silver.
Originally Posted by G_CIVV
Just had an email to say my Heathrow-Doha (BA123) on Sat 22 Sep has been cancelled so looks like the cancellations have just been extended.
oh great! what options are being offered to you can I ask. I must say we are on the BA123 in early Feb and expect the same issue as it's 6 months away and this is taking quite awhile to be resolved.
John
Old Aug 21, 2018, 4:53 am

Programs: Mucci, BA GGL/CCR
Wasn't BA offering the option to go on QR J and a substantial level of compensation? Personally I'd be delighted with that outcome.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 5:20 am

Originally Posted by thejohn
oh great! what options are being offered to you can I ask. I must say we are on the BA123 in early Feb and expect the same issue as it's 6 months away and this is taking quite awhile to be resolved.
John
No options have been offered as yet. I am assuming QR will be the default alternative but I’m not expecting any other sort of recompense seeing as I’ll get the option of a far-superior J product and the cancellation was notified in excess of one month before travel.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 5:27 am

Programs: BAEC
I'd actually moved myself off the BA0123 for later this year instead onto one of the LGW->DOH QR J flights (on a BA code) which they started a few months back,as these suited us better and even better were cheaper so offset quite a lot of the change fee.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 5:34 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by Mike P
Wasn't BA offering the option to go on QR J and a substantial level of compensation? Personally I'd be delighted with that outcome.

A switch to QR and compensation ?

That would be an awesome result.

Like all your Eid al-Fitrs coming at once ........ !!
Old Aug 21, 2018, 8:05 am

Programs: BAEC bouncing from Blue to Gold to Blue VSFC Red CXGreen Club Accor Platinum Hilton Silver.
that would be the best result for you and I hope that is the case, and I nearly always use QR going east but on this occasion it's a BA Holiday ending in DPS for 3 of us so BA will have more options and so will we if the RR Engine continues.
John
Old Aug 21, 2018, 8:15 am

Programs: Some
Are you thinking of the aircraft switches earlier this year to QR-operated A330s which often resulted in a downgrade, perhaps? As far as I'm aware there hasn't been any compensation for DOH cancellations unless there's a downgrade.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 10:18 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by lost_in_translation
Are you thinking of the aircraft switches earlier this year to QR-operated A330s which often resulted in a downgrade, perhaps? As far as I'm aware there hasn't been any compensation for DOH cancellations unless there's a downgrade.
Yes, the compensation was only for those finding themselves on a wetleased QR A330.

For the DOH cancellations the rebooking information on the speedbirdclub is basically rebook on to a QR flight in the same cabin up to 3 days before or after. For WT+ customers they are to be rebooked in to economy and offered a downgrade refund. Also passengers can be rerouted if on a BA ticket and BA, BA*QR or QR multi-sector journey through LON or DOH where a more direct route is also available on either a BA/QR operated flight. Finally refunds are also allowed if the customer would prefer to cancel.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 12:52 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold [>20k Lifetime TPs] | Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond [as is Mrs PtF] | Various Others
Originally Posted by subject2load
Like all your Eid al-Fitrs coming at once ........ !!
^ Excellent!
Old Aug 22, 2018, 12:28 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, HH Diamond.
Originally Posted by G_CIVV

No options have been offered as yet. I am assuming QR will be the default alternative but I’m not expecting any other sort of recompense seeing as I’ll get the option of a far-superior J product and the cancellation was notified in excess of one month before travel.
no email notification for me (BA123 on 23rd September), but just checked and have been moved to the QR2,
Old Aug 22, 2018, 7:06 am

Programs: Now BAEC Brown, fallen from 10 yrs BAEC Gold; Oyster 60+ Travelcard
In early December I am travelling LHR - DOH in J. Although the BA123 is shown as operating that day, the timing doesn't suit. The QR options are a 777 300ER or the 380, either would suit in terms of timing. In terms of seat and cabin ambience, should I prefer one over the other?
Old Aug 22, 2018, 7:32 am

Programs: M&M, BA Silver, Accor LeClub Gold
Originally Posted by GateLouse2
In early December I am travelling LHR - DOH in J. Although the BA123 is shown as operating that day, the timing doesn't suit. The QR options are a 777 300ER or the 380, either would suit in terms of timing. In terms of seat and cabin ambience, should I prefer one over the other?
The 777 should be equipped with Q-Suite which most people rate highly (but late notice changes can always happen and I'm not a fan of the old 777 business class seat). The A380 flight will offer the same business class seat (more or less) as found on the A350 and 787 Dreamliner. The aircraft also has the onboard bar / lounge if that is of interest.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 7:36 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, HH Diamond.
Originally Posted by stewaran
no email notification for me (BA123 on 23rd September), but just checked and have been moved to the QR2,
Phoned to try and move to the later 21:55 departyre on QR, and they flatly refuse.

even though it is closer to the timing of the BA123 i was booked on, and had they are still selling cheaper fares for it!
oh well , get my first Q-suite and first time to use QR lounge :-)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.