BA and Doha

Old May 14, 2017, 7:27 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by msm2000uk
According to contacts of mine within QR, there are a few main reasons for the continuation of the route.

1) BA have better Corporate Contracts than QR, and thus BA has to maintain the route because there is demand from their corporate clients - who must specially travel on BA metal.

2) Until recently, those wishing to stop-over in London, prior to flying onto the US, could only do so with BA (on one ticket etc). However, with the code-sharing agreement, that has now changed for the better.

3) The additional capacity that is offered by both airlines, means the two can move passengers if/when required - IRROPS etc. Not all QR flights have an F cabin, whereas the BA flight does.

4) Expats based in Qatar, often prefer flying with BA opposed to QR, due to the 'feeling of home' offered.

There are financial, trade, and political reasons too, but I've been asked not to disclose those on here.

M

Not sure, but I would guess US govt employees and contractors could be a significant part of it per the Fly America Act and EU operating carrier exemptions

https://www.gsa.gov/portal/content/103191
Old May 14, 2017, 7:41 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
Originally Posted by elitetraveler
Not sure, but I would guess US govt employees and contractors could be a significant part of it per the Fly America Act and EU operating carrier exemptions

https://www.gsa.gov/portal/content/103191
Interesting that defence is exempt
Old May 14, 2017, 11:10 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club
Originally Posted by navylad
Interesting that defence is exempt
I know my DOD oppos do make heavy use of the BA IAD-LHR flight - I'm always surprised at just how many USG transit via LHR nowadays - I guess because of the AA/BA links.
Old May 14, 2017, 11:21 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
Originally Posted by jimlad48
I know my DOD oppos do make heavy use of the BA IAD-LHR flight - I'm always surprised at just how many USG transit via LHR nowadays - I guess because of the AA/BA links.
Perhaps it's for the higher quality alcohol? Although saying that, the US marines didn't fare too well when they challenged us to a drinking competition (back in the days when I drank). Bless them.

HMAF's travel has to go through an agency (HRG), this is reportedly to save money but it is annoying when you can get a better deal yourself to save the taxman a few quid and perhaps get flights that you also prefer. More so with hotel stellar than flights though.
Old May 14, 2017, 11:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by rtid
Am currently book on F going to Doha next year. At present we are the only ones on the flight.

The only reason we chose Doha as a destination is because there is excellent redemption availability.

BA must want this route to test out demand for the World Cup in 2022. I can't think of any other reason the have this route.
Seriously? BA is testing what demand will be during a short special event (where normal demand patterns wouldn't be relevant) by flying it five years in advance? Nevermind that it's not a new route.

DOH is a center of wealth and business, and there is a good amount of O/D traffic to London. That said I think BA gets a small share of the premium traffic given the inferior offerings in F and J compared to QR and QR's much more robust schedule (6x daily). Hence reward availability is good on this route and I doubt it's a moneymaker for BA.
Old May 15, 2017, 12:25 am

Programs: BA Gold, AirAstana Silver (much use as chocolate teapot)
HMAF's travel has to go through an agency (HRG), this is reportedly to save money but it is annoying when you can get a better deal yourself to save the taxman a few quid and perhaps get flights that you also prefer. More so with hotel stellar than flights though.
What you sometimes find with these deals, is that discounts are negotiated based on volume throughout the year. The final discount is calculated only periodically not on each ticket. So whilst on the face of it you may be paying #1500 for a ticket, when the final discount comes through it will effectively be only #1200 , as the company gets 20% of it's total bill back based on spend in the period.
Old May 15, 2017, 1:59 am

Perhaps it's for the higher quality alcohol? Although saying that, the US marines didn't fare too well when they challenged us to a drinking competition (back in the days when I drank). Bless them.

Don't get me started on HRG, or Crab Air...
Old May 15, 2017, 2:32 am

Originally Posted by jimlad48
Don't get me started on HRG, or Crab Air...
What, just to bring it slightly back on topic, like the Ex-Gulf Air charters that were being used for the Falklands flights? (see this TR from 2012). Think I'd prefer to fly on this one.

So anyway US military might well use BA to fly to DOHA to get to Al Udeid airbase, British too if BA happens to be cheapest.
Old May 15, 2017, 3:02 am

What, just to bring it slightly back on topic, like the Ex-Gulf Air charters that were being used for the Falklands flights? (see this TR from 2012). Think I'd prefer to fly on this one.

So anyway US military might well use BA to fly to DOHA to get to Al Udeid airbase, British too if BA happens to be cheapest.
Iremember going to Falklands on an Air Seychelles charter - that was emotional. The Air Atlanta 747 that was used for TELIC runs into Al Udeid was also a challenge - it managed to break down more often than a tristar. Happy days :-)
Old May 15, 2017, 3:02 am

Programs: BAEC
QR lamb burger - looks like a decent option for a 1030pm departure and 6.15 hour flight - in this photo, it appears to come with some attempt at a side salad -

http://travelupdate.boardingarea.com...-flight-qatar/

What were the other options?

In terms of the 'Express Breakfast' was that the only choice?

Also, did they have a snack menu? I thought they had some type of anytime menu?
The QR lamb burger is one of a handful of 'light bites', which sits between the main menu and breakfast options on one of their menus. The lamb burger did come with a side salad when I had it on DOH FRA last month. You can choose any option to be served at any time and can mix and match from the various sections of the menu. It's dine on demand.

For more info on QR J menus can I suggest this thread

Last edited by plunet; May 16, 2017 at 7:41 am Reason: Fixed broken link to QR J menus
Old May 15, 2017, 3:16 am

QR lamb burger - looks like a decent option for a 1030pm departure and 6.15 hour flight - in this photo, it appears to come with some attempt at a side salad -

http://travelupdate.boardingarea.com...-flight-qatar/

What were the other options?

In terms of the 'Express Breakfast' was that the only choice?

Also, did they have a snack menu? I thought they had some type of anytime menu?
I'm most humble sorry elitetraveler, I missed your reply.

The one served to me had one lettuce leaf with it, so no not a side salad. I can't recall the other option on the menu (or indeed the vegetarian option), but I can remember I didn't like the description and was hoping that they had one of the burgers left as, having not eatne in the lounge/airport and having skipped the meal on the CE flight out in the anticipation of a decent meal I was disappointed; yes I totally admit that I should have done my research in advance and thanks @plunet for the thread link; I had asked QR prior to the flight, and they had just told me there would be a meal but couldn't tell me what.

The express breakfast was not the only option no, I seam to remember there was an arabian breakfast on the menu too and perhaps something else, my gripe was that if something is described as 'pastries' you don't expect that to be a bread roll and mini-muffin, unfortunately by the time that they awoke me for my express breakfast, it wasn't possible to have a different option and with the slight delay on the flight, I headed straight to my next gate rather than the lounge where I could have obtained something more substantial.

I'm still astounded that there was only one 'meal' on the DOH-HKG flight, but to be fair, the omelette was nice.

Moral of the story, don't assume British meat and two veg in a main meal on a flight in Business, ask FT not the airline if you want to find information out and ask the CC what each of the options actually are.
Old May 15, 2017, 4:17 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by plunet
The QR lamb burger is one of a handful of 'light bites', which sits between the main menu and breakfast options on one of their menus. The lamb burger did come with a side salad when I had it on DOH FRA last month. You can choose any option to be served at any time and can mix and match from the various sections of the menu. It's dine on demand.
Moral of the story, don't assume British meat and two veg in a main meal on a flight in Business, ask FT not the airline if you want to find information out and ask the CC what each of the options actually are.
Just to confirm, you are saying that the lamb burger was the main J meal? Rather than the 'light bite' as referenced above?
Old May 15, 2017, 4:25 am

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
Just to confirm, you are saying that the lamb burger was the main J meal? Rather than the 'light bite' as referenced above?
Affirm. I had that and the express breakfast.
Old May 15, 2017, 4:39 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by plunet

For more info on QR J menus can I suggest this thread
Thanks, the link seems to be broken --

I'm still astounded that there was only one 'meal' on the DOH-HKG flight, but to be fair, the omelette was nice.
"One meal" DOH-HKG doesn't sound right -

The DOH-Asia menus on QR I have seen includes at least one full meal, including choice of appetizer, soup course, 3-4 main selections, cheese course + desert.

Then there is at least a menu of "Light Options" which each would be about the same as a main course dish in CW -

According to the below - DOH-SIN - - a 7am DOH departure (similar timing to the DOH-HKG flight you were on, just shorter) - includes the above full meal + an all-day breakfast menu with at least four options, including an Asian option.

http://www.pommietravels.com/qatar-a...-class-review/

If you take a look at the menu, I would think it would be agreed this is not a "one meal" service?
Old May 15, 2017, 7:00 am

I know, it certainly wasn't what I was expecting.

Looking at TR for the same flight a year ago, dinner was served and then breakfast, but I can assure you only breakfast options were available on the menu and served straight away. Some of my fellow passengers did also comment.

I also note that the amenities kit have been scaled back and no longer are Armani.

Just boarded my NRT-DOH flight back, back on he 777 but empty seat next to me (the only one free on the cabin) and the menu for this flight seams a lot better, fingers crossed.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.