Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA and Doha

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2017, 5:56 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by kt74
Corporate contracts. That's it.

For work, I fly BA. On my own dime, I don't. Simples.
As per my comments upthread from within QR, Corporate Contracts are the biggest reason for the flight not being cancelled.

M
Old May 11, 2017, 6:06 am

Programs: Many. Too many. I came here to cut them down. I failed.
Sorry to use a word that could lead to me being banned, but some of fly in Economy. And QR is not all that on some planes out of LHR - you won't catch me on their 787's or 10 across 777's. So i'll happily fly BA.

However, QR's A350 (gamechanger) / A380's are fabulous.

BUT the point I want to make is the huge increase in options I now have flying East with BA - i.e. Bali is sub Ł500 in Y, sub Ł2,000 in J. Other destinations BA don't fly to like Jakarta, Pakistan, Maldives are available are now accessible mainly / partly on BA. It makes huge sense to me.

The only thing I struggle to do is price up WTP itineraries beyond Doha (i.e. in WTP then either in Y or J) - i'm guessing that BA were not so keen to offer these, but I can get via KL, BKK & SIN to many destinations beyond these BA destinations.
Old May 11, 2017, 7:24 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
The FT way to get to Jakarta is AMS-LHR-SIN-HKG-CGK on BA and CX in J

A flight to DOH still opens up a set of onward connections within Oneworld that are not easily available otherwise, making it valuable for greater network connectivity.
Old May 11, 2017, 7:26 am

Programs: BAEC Gold [>20k Lifetime TPs] | Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond [as is Mrs PtF] | Various Others
Originally Posted by msm2000uk

According to contacts of mine within QR, there are a few main reasons for the continuation of the route.

4) Expats based in Qatar, often prefer flying with BA opposed to QR, due to the 'feeling of home' offered.
Well I'm an expat, albeit not currently based in Qatar, and you'd have to drag me kicking and screaming onto the BA DOH-LHR service in preference to any of the QR flights.
Old May 11, 2017, 7:45 am

Programs: BA Silver - hard drop from GGL :( SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, AC E50k
Originally Posted by rtid
Am currently book on F going to Doha next year. At present we are the only ones on the flight.

The only reason we chose Doha as a destination is because there is excellent redemption availability.

BA must want this route to test out demand for the World Cup in 2022. I can't think of any other reason the have this route.
You think the excellent redemption availability and the fact that you are the only ones on that flight, may have something to do with that the flight is ... next year?
Old May 11, 2017, 8:03 am

Originally Posted by LondonCanuck
You think the excellent redemption availability and the fact that you are the only ones on that flight, may have something to do with that the flight is ... next year?
As mentioned upthread, there is excellent availability all year. Here's a snapshot for J class. Similar in F too. This continues right through to next year.
Attached Images    
Old May 11, 2017, 8:11 am

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by msm2000uk
As per my comments upthread from within QR, Corporate Contracts are the biggest reason for the flight not being cancelled.

M
+1 (having just landed in DOH on QR, of course)
Old May 11, 2017, 10:08 am

Programs: BA Gold, several other less interesting cards...
Am currently book on F going to Doha next year. At present we are the only ones on the flight.

The only reason we chose Doha as a destination is because there is excellent redemption availability.

BA must want this route to test out demand for the World Cup in 2022. I can't think of any other reason the have this route.
I wouldn't bother to go to Doha May-Oct whatever the availability.
Old May 11, 2017, 10:16 am

Programs: BAEC Gold/GGL, IHG Diamond AMB
I'm on BA122 on a couple of weeks - outbound is QR metal on BA code. I'll report back.

CW looks wide open at the moment - be nice to have a quiet cabin
Old May 11, 2017, 1:03 pm

Originally Posted by Ldnn1
As mentioned upthread, there is excellent availability all year. Here's a snapshot for J class. Similar in F too. This continues right through to next year.
Can't the LAX availability look like that?
Old May 11, 2017, 1:08 pm

Programs: BA Gold. KrisFlyer Gold
I flew BA123 last month in CW when it was booked by accident for me as a codeshare (obviously I wanted to be on one of the QR metal flights). One advantage was that the flight was almost empty. There were 6 of us in CW, and something like 80 passengers on the plane in total. I was told by the CSD that this was actually quite a good load for this flight in recent times, though apparently it oscillates widely from being full on certain days to only having a handful of people on board. Odd.
Old May 11, 2017, 3:28 pm

Originally Posted by srbrenna
I wouldn't bother to go to Doha May-Oct whatever the availability.
Why is that?
Old May 11, 2017, 3:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
The heat I would guess?
Old May 11, 2017, 6:30 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
Originally Posted by Ldnn1
Is this not because people don't tend to use their redemptions on Business routes, given the Business are paying; I don't think one could draw any firm conclusions from redemption Availability to the profitability of any particular route.
Old May 12, 2017, 1:19 am

Programs: BA Gold, several other less interesting cards...
Why is that?
Originally Posted by BA6501
The heat I would guess?
It is already in the high 30s and only gets hotter.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.