Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA and Doha

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2017, 1:44 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by srbrenna
It is already in the high 30s and only gets hotter.
Higher humidity too.

When I usually return from my summer break in late August the temps have "dropped" to high-to-mid 40s but the humidity is still very high. Air-cons are working full-time in my apartment..

OTOH, spending July-August in Northern Queensland is very comfortable in comparison, but that is the dry season there...
Old May 12, 2017, 2:08 am

Programs: BA Exec Club
A good example is Bahrain (very close to Qatar), where today it is above 40 and the humidity makes it extremely sticky to do anything. Walking in bare feet burns your feet, and flesh touching cars can be burned too. The Gulf is an amazing region - its also not somewhere you want to be in the summer.

From a business perspective, many of the key local personalities will be out of the country in the summer, and so there is also little point in much work going on during this time - the Gulf tends to do most of its business from Sep through to about May, then there is a pause while everyone who can hibernates or escapes.
Old May 12, 2017, 2:28 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by jimlad48
A good example is Bahrain (very close to Qatar), where today it is above 40 and the humidity makes it extremely sticky to do anything. Walking in bare feet burns your feet, and flesh touching cars can be burned too. The Gulf is an amazing region - its also not somewhere you want to be in the summer.

From a business perspective, many of the key local personalities will be out of the country in the summer, and so there is also little point in much work going on during this time - the Gulf tends to do most of its business from Sep through to about May, then there is a pause while everyone who can hibernates or escapes.
When I was based in BAH, my work-day used to start at 5:30am, and finish at 2pm due to the heat.

Schools were suspended if the weather reached over 40 degrees, and it was too hot to be anywhere outside...including in the pool!

There's a reason why the ME3 have major offers over the May-September period, and aside from a few days at the beginning & end of Ramadan, the flights to/from Europe won't be busy.

M
Old May 12, 2017, 3:16 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

I love Dubai in July. Hotels are dirt cheap, and I can sit in the cooled pool all day reading my Kindle

Then head to some nice air conditioned bars and restaurants in an air condition taxi
Old May 12, 2017, 3:20 am

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
I love Dubai in July. Hotels are dirt cheap, and I can sit in the cooled pool all day reading my Kindle

Then head to some nice air conditioned bars and restaurants in an air condition taxi
Unless you wear glasses (like me) - in which case you go from an air-conditioned restaurant, into an area of sudden fog, then into an air-conditioned cab, then the damned fog is back, then into an air-conditioned hotel...

M
Old May 12, 2017, 3:21 am

Originally Posted by msm2000uk
Unless you wear glasses (like me) - in which case you go from an air-conditioned restaurant, into an area of sudden fog, then into an air-conditioned cab, then the damned fog is back, then into an air-conditioned hotel...

M
True... but I can live with that!
Old May 12, 2017, 6:02 am

Programs: BA Gold

Hi DYKWIA,

Can you possibly recommend me a nice bar to take Mrs Padmeister too? As we are going to Dubai next month and it's her first time 😊
Old May 12, 2017, 6:22 am

Programs: BA Exec Club
Unless you wear glasses (like me) - in which case you go from an air-conditioned restaurant, into an area of sudden fog, then into an air-conditioned cab, then the damned fog is back, then into an air-conditioned hotel... M
Amen to that!

Also thermal shock is a big problem too - its 40 degreesoutside, but aircon is usually a lot colder (to extent i keep a fleece in my office), so people really struggle going between the two heat levels.
Old May 12, 2017, 10:35 am

Originally Posted by Padmeister
Hi DYKWIA,

Can you possibly recommend me a nice bar to take Mrs Padmeister too? As we are going to Dubai next month and it's her first time ��
Well, I'm an old git, so I like an quieter bar without much in the way of 'chavs'.

I'd always recommend the Le Meridien Village - which is a courtyard type place with lots of bars and restaurants. Off the top of my head :-

Dubliners - typical Irish bar, but gets a bit smokey. It's been expanded a bit recently.
Warehouse - nice bar/restaurant. There's a new outdoor bar that's good if it's not too hot.
Jules Bar - nice for sitting outside in the evenings. Quite an experience inside
Sukhothai - great Thai restaurant.
Mahec - very nice Indian restaurant
Casa Mia - Italian restaurant. Not been to this one
Lebanese Place (I can't remember the name) - another great restaurant

It's only a short walk to the Tennis stadium that has a similar number of outdoor bars and restaurants.

Are you looking to do a Friday brunch (if not, you should...)? Try the Corks & Forks at the Anantara - we've been twice and it's fantastic. Or Traiteur at the Park Hyatt.

If you are looking for something for a younger crowd, pm @m3red and tell him I sent you
Old May 12, 2017, 12:00 pm

Well, I'm an old git, so I like an quieter bar without much in the way of 'chavs'.

I'd always recommend the Le Meridien Village - which is a courtyard type place with lots of bars and restaurants. Off the top of my head :-

Dubliners - typical Irish bar, but gets a bit smokey. It's been expanded a bit recently.
Warehouse - nice bar/restaurant. There's a new outdoor bar that's good if it's not too hot.
Jules Bar - nice for sitting outside in the evenings. Quite an experience inside
Sukhothai - great Thai restaurant.
Mahec - very nice Indian restaurant
Casa Mia - Italian restaurant. Not been to this one
Lebanese Place (I can't remember the name) - another great restaurant

It's only a short walk to the Tennis stadium that has a similar number of outdoor bars and restaurants.

Are you looking to do a Friday brunch (if not, you should...)? Try the Corks & Forks at the Anantara - we've been twice and it's fantastic. Or Traiteur at the Park Hyatt.

If you are looking for something for a younger crowd, pm @m3red and tell him I sent you
Thanks DYKWIA,

I will look in to all of these 😊 I am not old or young at 38 but Mrs P is 24 😁 but neither of us want any CHAV places 😉 nice bars are more our thing really. I have booked First aswell so I am hoping we have a good flight as it's also her first time in First; well any premium cabin for that matter.
Old May 12, 2017, 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by Padmeister
Thanks DYKWIA,

I will look in to all of these 😊 I am not old or young at 38 but Mrs P is 24 😁 but neither of us want any CHAV places 😉 nice bars are more our thing really. I have booked First aswell so I am hoping we have a good flight as it's also her first time in First; well any premium cabin for that matter.
Drop m3red a PM, and I'm sure he'll be of help - although he's busy with stingrays at the moment, so he may be slow to respond.

M
Old May 12, 2017, 12:23 pm

Drop m3red a PM, and I'm sure he'll be of help - although he's busy with stingrays at the moment, so he may be slow to respond.

M
Thank you so much for the advice I will do thank you.
Old May 14, 2017, 5:35 pm

Programs: Mucci de Guardian des Celliers des Grands Crus 1e Classé, plus BAEC.
As per my comments upthread from within QR, Corporate Contracts are the biggest reason for the flight not being cancelled.

M
US corporate contracts? I understood a lot of them stipulated US carriers (tickets) only? I came back from DXB with KLM today and there seemed to be a good number of passengers connecting onwards with Delta.

+1 to avoiding the Gulf in May. Should have gotten out there in Feb/Mar but strangely my friends' spare bedroom was booked solid ........
Old May 14, 2017, 5:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by ratypus
Serious question - not just a "BA bashing" / Qatar comparison...honest
Well that fell on deaf ears.
Old May 14, 2017, 7:19 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by navylad
Having flown AMS-DOH yesterday, QR don't always have the edge on BA; food consisted of a lamb burger with no accompaniment and their 'express breakfast' of pastries was a bread roll and mini-muffin. s1362083.
QR lamb burger - looks like a decent option for a 1030pm departure and 6.15 hour flight - in this photo, it appears to come with some attempt at a side salad -

http://travelupdate.boardingarea.com...-flight-qatar/

What were the other options?

In terms of the 'Express Breakfast' was that the only choice?

Also, did they have a snack menu? I thought they had some type of anytime menu?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.