Tale of two GGL conversations...

Old May 10, 17, 10:21 am
Original Poster

Tale of two GGL conversations...

I just called the UK GGL line to make a (rather complicated) business class booking that uses a joker upgrade from PEY, and GUF voucher.

First call was made around 6 am UK time today; I was connected to the Manchester call centre. The lady kept putting me on hold to check with her supervisor... then said there was no availability to unlock flights on my chosen dates with my joker because she could not see D class availability (even though I could see that I class is widely available for all my chosen flight segments, implying they are rather empty).

She then said because my BAEC account is domiciled in Singapore, she could only check the Singapore booking system which does not have D class availability... but the UK system has D class availability, thus suggested that I change my address from Singapore to UK in order to use my joker!

Shortly after, she put me on hold again. When she got back on the phone, she did an about-turn and said I have to retain my BAEC account address in Singapore after all, because I had wanted to book an itinerary that originates from Singapore! I have never heard of anything like this because surely I have had my BAEC address in Singapore since moving here, and have been able to book BA flights that originated from any city so far.

By then, I thought she was really ill equipped to make my booking and decided to HUACA.

A few hours later, around 4 pm UK time, I called the GGL line again. This time the lady (in Newcastle?) was very professional and clued on. She could not have been more accommodating, and did the entire complicated itinerary without a fuss, duly unlocking the same chosen flights, applied my joker and gave me the expected price quote for Avios, taxes and surcharges.

Questions: Does BA have multiple GGL call centers in the UK? Is one more competent or better trained than the other? What time is best to call to ensure that I do not get routed to the more "clueless" team?
Old May 10, 17, 10:39 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
I wonder if your first call was sent off-shore?
Old May 10, 17, 10:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK View Post
I wonder if your first call was sent off-shore?
Nope. It was Manchester. The lady told me her location.

Is Manchester a GGL service centre or just another booking centre?
Old May 10, 17, 10:57 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by carrotjuice View Post
Nope. It was Manchester. The lady told me her location.

Is Manchester a GGL service centre or just another booking centre?
Manchester (or West Didsbury to be accurate), is the home of GGL, You First and Premier Customer Service.
Old May 10, 17, 11:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K; BA Gold
Point of sale makes a difference for joker use, but iirc they should be looking at UK POS. See:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...ggl-joker.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...n-applied.html

Manchester is GGL. See these threads for more info:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...e-helpers.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...red-india.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...out-hours.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...-centre-4.html
Old May 10, 17, 2:25 pm

The clueless team are located in India,and if you call late at night you get routed there.During the day you get Didsbury or Newcastle,both of which I find very helpful.
Old May 10, 17, 4:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jerry a. laska View Post
Point of sale makes a difference for joker use, but iirc they should be looking at UK POS. See:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...ggl-joker.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...n-applied.html
Ah, that explains it. Looks like the first person looked (and she was quite adamant too that she should) at the wrong POS...

And she was very adamant that because my account was domiciled in SIN, I can only start my redemption ticket from SIN...

Surely if you're GGL helpline you should be expected to know these basics.
Old May 11, 17, 3:40 am

Programs: not a lot
Ah, that explains it. Looks like the first person looked (and she was quite adamant too that she should) at the wrong POS...

And she was very adamant that because my account was domiciled in SIN, I can only start my redemption ticket from SIN...

Surely if you're GGL helpline you should be expected to know these basics.
We all make mistakes - remember that we all started at some point with 0 knowledge and have to learn.

The original agent may have been exceptionally clued up on lots of other stuff but maybe it was the first or second time doing this particular activity. You said yourself it was particularly complex.
Old May 11, 17, 4:48 am

Programs: EI AerClub Concierge, EK Gold, BA Gold, BD Gold (Retired), HHonors Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by LiviLion View Post
We all make mistakes - remember that we all started at some point with 0 knowledge and have to learn.

The original agent may have been exceptionally clued up on lots of other stuff but maybe it was the first or second time doing this particular activity. You said yourself it was particularly complex.
So, what about the Supervisor that the OP mentions was repeatedly consulted?
Old May 11, 17, 7:49 pm
Original Poster

So are the Avios redemptions seen on BA.com all UK as POS?
Old May 11, 17, 11:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
my experience is negative.
and it has nothing to do with O-D either.

Mind you tho, someone who changed domiciles too often did get in some trouble... lol, so i do not recommend people changing domiciles in order to see what others see.

Last edited by kaka; May 11, 17 at 11:36 pm
Old May 11, 17, 11:58 pm

Programs: Former BA/AA/CP/LY employee, BA Executive Club Blue, IHG Platinum, Samsung Platinum
Every country that BA.com allows you to select as a country of departure/membership has its own POS.

I'm not entirely sure that redemption booking classes are POS specific though - in the OPs case, they needed a certain revenue space to be available for the redemption space to be released.
Old May 12, 17, 7:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dambus View Post
So, what about the Supervisor that the OP mentions was repeatedly consulted?
Haha... next time I'd know... the moment someone puts me on hold twice in a single call, and returns sputtering things that don't make sense... it's a warning sign that the person doesn't know what (s)he's supposed to be doing, and to immediately HUACA. I actually wasted a good 40 mins with this person on an international call.

Interestingly, when I eventually got the trip booked with the second person, even though the trip originates from SIN, the POS was HKG and I was quoted taxes and charges in HKD. Go figure...
Old May 12, 17, 7:56 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kaka View Post
Mind you tho, someone who changed domiciles too often did get in some trouble... lol, so i do not recommend people changing domiciles in order to see what others see.
Agree. Though you can't change address more than once every 6 months I believe.

And to think that the first person actually suggested that step to me...
Old Jan 5, 18, 1:10 am

Programs: BA(GGL) QF LTS CX AM, Hilton Diamond
This was the situation for me

- I am based in HKG, but my account is registered in SIN (first registered in HKG, then moved it over to SIN 1 year ago)
- Called the UK line to try redeem 3 pax SYD-SIN using a Joker in business
- Request was declined, with agent citing no D availability - quoted me J8 C3 D0 which incidentally was the HKG POS
- Per EF, the POS I see was as follows:
SIN: J9C9D9
HKG: J9C3D0
UK: J9C4D2

I specifically asked which POS they look at - and she said it was the country of registration (i.e. would be SIN in my case).
I think my account hasn't been updated in the BA systems even though my address changed.

I am unsure if i can try to get SIN POS availability (and even if agent decides to put a request in for me, will it be kicked back by revenue management if they cross reference UK POS?)

Search this Thread
Search Engine: