Paternity benefit, real results?

Old Jun 28, 19, 8:24 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Daughter born May 2019
Currently have Gold through Jul 31 2020 (membership yr end Jun 8 2020)
Requested paternity benefit on Jun 18 2019
Received response from BA a week later, confirming gold status extension - "As one of our loyal Gold Members, I am delighted to inform you that I have now extended your current Gold Tier status until June 2020". I was confused though, since I was already guaranteed Gold status through June 2020 anyway, prior to requesting benefit.
E-mailed BAEC again for clarification, received confirmation - "I can confirm that your Gold status will be retained until June 2021 and you will continue to receive all the benefits of Gold status."

However, website shows:
Membership year ends:08 Jun 2020

Card expiry date:31 Jul 2020

For some reason, I assumed the Card Expiry Date would change to 2021.. but I guess not? I have the e-mail confirming status benefits, at least.
Old Aug 1, 19, 11:50 am

Perhaps someone on this thread (which I wish I'd read before I emailed BAEC) can help? I am silver (expiring April 2020) and my wife is Bronze (expiring--I think--March 2020). We had a son a few weeks ago during July 2019.

I emailed BAEC [email protected] yesterday afternoon to check whether or not this benefit was still working -- I couldn't find anything about it in the 'My Exec Club' section of the website, and only the press release from 2018 announcing the policy. I didn't actually ask to apply for an extension; I simply asked whether or not it was still possible to apply to put our statuses on hold.

In reply, I got an email this afternoon (quoting my membership no., which I hadn't included in the original email, which strikes me as perhaps an issue, although the email address is linked to my account), and stating the following:
Thank you for getting in touch with us about your recent paternity leave - I would like to take the time to offer my personal congratulations on behalf of British Airways at this wonderful time.Members who may be taking fewer or no flights during their maternity, paternity or adoption leave can apply to put their account on hold for a year, protecting hard-earned Executive Club Bronze, Silver or Gold status.When we put an account on hold, the account can still be accessed and used as usual and the Tier Points that you have earned that year will still reset at the end of your current Tier Point collection year, however, the hold will ensure that you remain at the same Tier status for your next Tier Point collection year.I have checked your account and can see that your current Silver Tier status is not due to expire until April 2020. Therefore, it is not necessary for us to place your account on hold at this moment.However, if you contact [email protected] again just before the end of your current Tier Point collection year in April 2020, we will be happy to review your application again for your collection year beginning 2020 to 2021.
I hope this is helpful and we would like to give you and your new child our best wishes for the future.

I'm confused. I had--perhaps incorrectly--presumed that we would both have our status extended for a year once I had enclosed the birth certificate. It seems looking at this thread, though, that BA have been fairly inconsistent and I may need to pester them to get this sorted out. Can anyone suggest the best form of reply? We will certainly be flying a lot less and, given that I have in-laws in another country, status extension will certainly prove very handy, I'd imagine...

All advice gratefully received!

Last edited by catscall; Aug 1, 19 at 11:56 am Reason: Left out son's date of birth, which is relevant to post
Old Aug 3, 19, 10:06 am

Hi All,

After stumbling upon this thread, I figured it would be best to ask you all knowledgeable people on the best course of action in my circumstance before emailing BA.
I am currently Silver status, tier points collection year ending 8 Jan 2020 (card expiry in late February). I am unlikely to be able to retain Silver as I will be travelling less long haul, and will be flying less generally due to pregnancy. and baby is due shortly after I would be downgraded to Bronze.
When would be the best time to ask BA for the extension? Is that in late December, just before expiry so I could have it extended for another year, given by the I will be unable to travel at all? I just want to make sure I avoid the downgrade to Bronze, even though when on actual maternity leave I will most likely not be able to travel much either and therefore will face another downgrade in early 2021

Thanks very much for your help!
Old Aug 3, 19, 10:09 am

Originally Posted by izzik View Post
Daughter born May 2019
Currently have Gold through Jul 31 2020 (membership yr end Jun 8 2020)
Requested paternity benefit on Jun 18 2019
Received response from BA a week later, confirming gold status extension - "As one of our loyal Gold Members, I am delighted to inform you that I have now extended your current Gold Tier status until June 2020". I was confused though, since I was already guaranteed Gold status through June 2020 anyway, prior to requesting benefit.
E-mailed BAEC again for clarification, received confirmation - "I can confirm that your Gold status will be retained until June 2021 and you will continue to receive all the benefits of Gold status."

However, website shows:
Membership year ends:08 Jun 2020

Card expiry date:31 Jul 2020

For some reason, I assumed the Card Expiry Date would change to 2021.. but I guess not? I have the e-mail confirming status benefits, at least.
I think it will, but not until the end of your 2020 year.
izzik likes this.
Old Sep 2, 19, 1:18 am

Programs: BA Silver
This was really easy to do. Our triplets arrived 10 days ago, so I contacted BA a few days after they were born. I have third party access on my wife's account, so I just sent through the birth confirmation paperwork from the hospital (the girls are still there and will be for a few weeks, as they were born at 31+3 weeks) and three days later we both got emails confirming our Silver status would be extended. Nothing showing up on my account, but my TP year ends this month, so I'll see once it resets. My wife had just requalified so hers is extended to August 2021, but I had only earned 40 TPs this year, due to a combination of work travel on AF last autumn and having halted basically all travel (work and leisure) since March due to complications with the pregnancy. All three girls are healthy and doing really well - they just need to bulk up before they come home.
pacenotes and lavajava like this.
Old Sep 2, 19, 1:56 am

Programs: BA Gold, SPG Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by gustavmahler View Post
This was really easy to do. Our triplets arrived 10 days ago, so I contacted BA a few days after they were born. I have third party access on my wife's account, so I just sent through the birth confirmation paperwork from the hospital (the girls are still there and will be for a few weeks, as they were born at 31+3 weeks) and three days later we both got emails confirming our Silver status would be extended. Nothing showing up on my account, but my TP year ends this month, so I'll see once it resets. My wife had just requalified so hers is extended to August 2021, but I had only earned 40 TPs this year, due to a combination of work travel on AF last autumn and having halted basically all travel (work and leisure) since March due to complications with the pregnancy. All three girls are healthy and doing really well - they just need to bulk up before they come home.
Congratulations!!!
gustavmahler likes this.
Old Sep 2, 19, 2:06 am

Programs: BAEC. Silver.
Congratulations
gustavmahler likes this.
Old Sep 18, 19, 8:07 am

Originally Posted by lavajava View Post
Thought I would share an update from BA on my current situation:-

1. Wrote to BA in May 2017, who accepted my application/birth certificate - however I ended up with about 2,400 TPs that year.
2. Wrote to BA again in 2018 who stated if I didn't reach gold that year they would extend - I ended up on 1,510 TPs...
3. 2018/2019 (TP end Sept) has been very different - I'll finish the year with 595 TPs but thought I would e-mail BA on Friday and ask nicely if they'll consider extension this year instead

Result. Got e-mail reply today from BA to state they'll be extending until 2020.

Thanks, BA
Just to close this out. Ended membership year with 705 TPs. A week after my year reset my card expiry date was updated to next year so all looks in order.
Old Sep 23, 19, 7:33 am

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Gold Amb.
Hi All, hoping for some advice.

I am currently Silver, year ends 8th Feb 2020. and im on 495 TP

I have no more planned flights, and am changing job soon, so will do far less long haul business class, and far more short haul economy, so silver is quite important to me.

My wife is due to give birth in November. so im pretty confidant given what i have read that if i contact BA in November, they will extend my silver until Feb 2021.

what i am wondering is, is it worth me doing a TP run to get to 600 this year, which would renew me to Feb 2021, and then contact BA around March, and advise them then of the birth. would that give me until 2022, or does it not work like that?

thank you all in advance.
Old Sep 23, 19, 10:08 am

Originally Posted by holloway1000 View Post
Hi All, hoping for some advice.

I am currently Silver, year ends 8th Feb 2020. and im on 495 TP

I have no more planned flights, and am changing job soon, so will do far less long haul business class, and far more short haul economy, so silver is quite important to me.

My wife is due to give birth in November. so im pretty confidant given what i have read that if i contact BA in November, they will extend my silver until Feb 2021.

what i am wondering is, is it worth me doing a TP run to get to 600 this year, which would renew me to Feb 2021, and then contact BA around March, and advise them then of the birth. would that give me until 2022, or does it not work like that?

thank you all in advance.
This is probably quite similar to the scenario I have posted about in this thread and had my extension approved when master Lavajava was over 2 as I had managed to keep gold until this year through flying.

YMMV as it's up to the [email protected] team.

I would take that TP run or perhaps even a family holiday in CE when your little one arrives.

All the best with the upcoming arrival.
Old Sep 25, 19, 5:57 am

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Gold Amb.
This is probably quite similar to the scenario I have posted about in this thread and had my extension approved when master Lavajava was over 2 as I had managed to keep gold until this year through flying.

YMMV as it's up to the [email protected] team.

I would take that TP run or perhaps even a family holiday in CE when your little one arrives.

All the best with the upcoming arrival.

Thank you.
I will go with the TP run and see how it goes early next year. i will try and remember to update this post for others.
Old Sep 29, 19, 3:15 am

Originally Posted by rapidex View Post
I think it will, but not until the end of your 2020 year.
Do you have confirmation of this? My wife and I are in the same boat as izzik. After multiple emails to confirm the extensions, get the tier points for our son etc., the system is still showing our original expiry dates. I have mentioned it in the last couple of emails to BA, but it has been studiously ignored by them...
Old Sep 29, 19, 3:54 am

Originally Posted by catscall View Post
Do you have confirmation of this? My wife and I are in the same boat as izzik. After multiple emails to confirm the extensions, get the tier points for our son etc., the system is still showing our original expiry dates. I have mentioned it in the last couple of emails to BA, but it has been studiously ignored by them...
I have confirmation of this. My expiry dates did not change until the end of the current year. I received my gold renewal pack yesterday.
Old Sep 29, 19, 11:28 am

Thanks -- it would be nice if they would at least acknowledge the question, though!
Old Oct 3, 19, 7:05 am

I have confirmation of this. My expiry dates did not change until the end of the current year. I received my gold renewal pack yesterday.
Thinking about this, does that also mean that your tier points reset to zero for the start of the new year? The wording on this slightly confuses me -- it suggests that you should keep any made over the course of the initial status plus extension, I thought?

Search this Thread