Paternity benefit, real results?

Old Mar 19, 18, 2:05 pm

Have any couple ever got a paternity and maternity extension for the same child?

We got the maternity extension for Mrs LS, but as there was really little impact to me as I was on track to retain status anyway didn't chance our arm applying for both.
​​​​​​
Just curious in case another little one pops up.
Old Mar 20, 18, 1:45 am
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by londonsmiler View Post
Have any couple ever got a paternity and maternity extension for the same child?

We got the maternity extension for Mrs LS, but as there was really little impact to me as I was on track to retain status anyway didn't chance our arm applying for both.
​​​​​​
Just curious in case another little one pops up.
My impression is that this is well within the rules. I just applied though to be fair, I'm almost certain my request will be rejected (as its only to extend my CCR card - I otherwise qualified for GGL). I applied to extend Gold for my wife who only earned 940 TPs.
londonsmiler likes this.
Old Mar 20, 18, 1:51 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by sts603 View Post

My impression is that this is well within the rules. I just applied though to be fair, I'm almost certain my request will be rejected (as its only to extend my CCR card - I otherwise qualified for GGL). I applied to extend Gold for my wife who only earned 940 TPs.
I suspect you are right, the CCR Card is currently an additional perk (like the GUFs) rather than a status so Id be very surprised if they agreed to extend that, but you never know!
Old Mar 20, 18, 4:23 am
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK View Post

I suspect you are right, the CCR Card is currently an additional perk (like the GUFs) rather than a status so Id be very surprised if they agreed to extend that, but you never know!
Only one way to find out but yes, fully resigned myself to slumming it in the GF and hoping for T3 flights (as I consider the CX F lounge a step up from the T5 GF - though not at scotch o'clock).
Old Mar 20, 18, 4:36 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL/CCR, QR Insider, SQ Gold, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by sts603 View Post

I asked about the same issue - held GGL myself, but would lose my CCR card.

I was denied, despite the lady in contact messaging me, and appreciating it was a tough decision. The team have no leeway to let customers keep CCR cards (was the impression I got).

M
Old Jun 8, 18, 8:30 am

Programs: # Neodymium #
Wowsers - customer services really aren't paying attention this week.. must be the weather.
5 emails so far for what should have been 1 simple process.

- We just had a baby boy. My wife - silver status - emailed
[email protected] yesterday, attaching the birth certificate as a PDF, asking for the status extension, and bonus avios.

#1 : I would be happy to consider extending your Tier status in light of your parental leave, however in order for us to look into your request, you will need to provide a letter from your doctor, a birth certificate or other documentation relating to your maternity leave and email it to [email protected]."
-> we re-sent email with PDF attached again.

#2 : "Whilst we do consider Member's requests on a case-by-case basis, one of the policies we set out for the benefit specifically states that the benefit will apply to Members who wish to hold their current Tier status, at the time of making their application, whilst taking time out of their usual schedules to care for a child. As such, we are unfortunately unable to give you Gold Tier status as your current status is showing Silver Tier status and not Gold Tier status, under the guidelines of this benefit."
-> replied that we were not asking for gold, just a silver extension as per the policy

#3 : "As one of our loyal Silver Members, I am delighted to inform you that I will extend your current Silver Tier status for a further year".... YAY!!
"I have checked your account and can see that your son has not yet been enrolled to your Household Account. Once you have enrolled him, please let me know using the blue 'Contact Us' link below, and I will credit them with their first 1,000 Avios as a welcoming gift. You will need to enrol him to your Household Account within six months from the date of this email for him/her to be eligible for the bonus Avios."
-> checked my account, and yes, I have enrolled my son into BA in my household account already. Replied with this info.

#4 : [sent 3 hours after reply, from the same customer service agent]
"When we applied your Tier hold, we sent you an email advising you that we had extended your Tier status for a year and that you needed to have enrolled your child within six months from the date of our email for them to receive their welcome gift.
As it has been over six months from the date of our email to you, I am unable to award the 1,000 Avios to your child's account. I understand that this will not be the answer you are looking for, but to be fair to all our Members, I must abide by the Conditions of Use set out at
ba.com."
-> exasperated reply...
Old Jun 8, 18, 8:41 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL (OWE), SA LifePlat (*G), BD Gold to the end, Hilton Diamond
I'm convinced BA Customer Services use an automatic random response generator. It's a shame they disabled the lucky dip avios compensation part of the system.
McCoy likes this.

Last edited by gcuk; Jun 8, 18 at 8:46 am
Old Jun 12, 18, 5:06 am

Programs: BA Gold
My membership year is June-June, and I got enough TPs for renewal prior to the arrival of my child. Since then I've obviously reduced my travel considerably. Have renewed status due to pre-child TPs for 2018-2019, I am trying to use [email protected] to get this status extended to 2020. Reports here suggest that is possible, but I've tried twice now with [email protected] with no success.

Can anyone provide any recent stories that this has worked for them? If so, any magic formulation of words?

Thanks!
Old Jun 12, 18, 5:21 am

Our son was born in November '17, and I applied for a status hold in March '18. My membership year ends on 8 May each year, and I'd already renewed Gold by March '18 (in fact I was Gold at the time of my son's birth). But I was hoping for a status hold until May '19 (i.e. if I missed earning all the TPs I needed to maintain Gold by 8 May, '19, my status would still be held into the next TP-earning cycle), because the period of less travel for us will be until our son is around one year of age, i.e. cutting across two TP-earning years.

I applied once before my TP year-end, and I was declined via boilerplate language. I applied again in the new TP year, and was accepted by boilerplate language. I used identical e-mails. No clever wording, just a link to the BA policy, and a copy of my son't birth certificate.

My wife, on the other hand, (same year-end as me) was declined both times. The second time because BA had 'sponsored' her Gold renewal in the two-week grace period post TP year-end.
Old Mar 1, 19, 4:36 am

Dragging up an old thread. My daughter was born last July so I applied for this. My wife got the extension almost immediately and my daughter got her 1000 avios. I got a nice email but obviously didn't read is properly as it said we're going to extend my status to February 2018. This was in an email dated July 2018, shortly after my daughter was born (and I sent across the birth certificate).
I made 545 points this year (no long haul holidays with the family) and a bronze card dropped through the letterbox this morning.

Grrrrr. Email sent, but we shall see. As long as they sort it before the end of the month. I have a few short-hauls in economy lined up.
Old May 22, 19, 2:49 am

Programs: BA Gold, SPG Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold
Thought I would share an update from BA on my current situation:-

1. Wrote to BA in May 2017, who accepted my application/birth certificate - however I ended up with about 2,400 TPs that year.
2. Wrote to BA again in 2018 who stated if I didn't reach gold that year they would extend - I ended up on 1,510 TPs...
3. 2018/2019 (TP end Sept) has been very different - I'll finish the year with 595 TPs but thought I would e-mail BA on Friday and ask nicely if they'll consider extension this year instead

Result. Got e-mail reply today from BA to state they'll be extending until 2020.

Thanks, BA
Flexible preferences and HMPS like this.
Old May 22, 19, 3:11 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Worked well for me

- First child in 16/17: I was extended Gold at the first time of asking (but the baby's Avios never showed up: never mind)

- Second child in what was the tail end of my 17/18 "free extension" year, but I didn't get around to emailing BA until I was into my 18/19 year: was still Gold at that point since we had not passed through my Gold card end date, but I was technically into a new TP year when I was due to be dropped to Silver (for not flying enough TPs for Gold in my 17/18 'bonus' year) but BA replied to grant Gold for ALL of 18/19 and then another 'bonus' year for 19/20! Not bad.

I will have had 17/18, 18/19 and 19/20 all as 'bonus years', for only 2 kids...not bad.

To be fair, in each of those 'bonus' years I hit around 1,200 TPs anyway - so not a million miles from re-qualifying on my own account. And for the 19/20 TP year (the first year I need to count TPs again), I have close to 1,500 TPs already booked in the first 2 months and with work plans through 19/20 may end up somewhere close to 3-4,000 over the year. So it has probably worked out quite nicely for BA too.

In response to another question posed - when I emailed BA for the second child, I also asked for Mrs R to have her Silver status extended. BA agreed without question (so we both got an extension). That's quite handy, since with our eldest now past the second birthday, it's good to have another status card in the family so we can all at least get access to Silver / Sapphire lounges when we travel together.

Last edited by ratypus; May 22, 19 at 3:19 am
Old May 22, 19, 3:19 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL (OWE), SA LifePlat (*G), BD Gold to the end, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by lavajava View Post
Thought I would share an update from BA on my current situation:-

1. Wrote to BA in May 2017, who accepted my application/birth certificate - however I ended up with about 2,400 TPs that year.
2. Wrote to BA again in 2018 who stated if I didn't reach gold that year they would extend - I ended up on 1,510 TPs...
3. 2018/2019 (TP end Sept) has been very different - I'll finish the year with 595 TPs but thought I would e-mail BA on Friday and ask nicely if they'll consider extension this year instead

Result. Got e-mail reply today from BA to state they'll be extending until 2020.

Thanks, BA
So it seems in practice it's a free pass for a status extension in any future membership year after baby is born provided status is earned each year before it needs to be used?
If status was retained through travel until baby was 15 years old, I wonder whether they would still grant the extension then?

Last edited by gcuk; May 22, 19 at 3:25 am
Old May 22, 19, 3:42 am

Programs: BA Gold, SPG Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by gcuk View Post
So it seems in practice it's a free pass for a status extension in any future membership year after baby is born provided status is earned each year before it needs to be used?
If status was retained through travel until baby was 15 years old, I wonder whether they would still grant the extension then?
haha. I have no idea on the inner workings on how they make their mind up... but the gesture is very much appreciated.
gcuk likes this.
Old May 22, 19, 4:10 am

Hmm I forgot to post my update here. I got on touch with BA and they extended to 2021 with no hesitation. I'll probably make silver anyway this year but no complaints here.

Search this Thread