Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is a T5 departure just for CCR worth it?

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2017, 9:01 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by MickV
In January I decided that I would never do the T5-T3-T5 connection again after it went a long way to ruining an F trip. I've stuck it out for 4ish months and have relented and doing the connection again this Saturday. I've decided to try it again over connecting in the US.
I've stuck it out for a couple or so years, my only sojourn to T3 was an inbound MIA. I'm still to be convinced to use T3, it just frustrates me.
Old May 10, 2017, 9:02 am

Programs: BA*GGL, A3*G, AF*P, VS*S
Surprised nobody has mentioned this but as a BA Gold, the benefit of flying through LAX with a reasonable connection time to enjoy it, is that you get to use the superb Qantas F lounge, which definitely beats the CCR for food. It has a kitchen and menu overseen by the guys from Australia's Rockpool restaurants. Also the airside connector from TBIT (where you land and the lounge is) to T4 is only a 10 minute walk, quite easy.

So if you add CCR, A380 and QFlounge, that might well be tempting.
Old May 10, 2017, 9:07 am

Programs: BA Gold; MB Ti; HH Diamond; IHG Plat; RR Gold
Originally Posted by frb98mf
Surprised nobody has mentioned this but as a BA Gold, the benefit of flying through LAX with a reasonable connection time to enjoy it, is that you get to use the superb Qantas F lounge, which definitely beats the CCR for food. It has a kitchen and menu overseen by the guys from Australia's Rockpool restaurants. Also the airside connector from TBIT (where you land and the lounge is) to T4 is only a 10 minute walk, quite easy.

So if you add CCR, A380 and QFlounge, that might well be tempting.
Though this does assume that the Qantas lounge will let you in when connecting to an AA domestic service. There have been multiple reports whereby they have denied this, despite the OW policies to the contrary.

Not saying this should be discounted only that access shouldn't be assumed.
Old May 10, 2017, 9:10 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Originally Posted by wheatbeer
get the A380 to SFO
No oneWorld carrier flying on the SFO-LAS route.

If you take WN at least you will get a free piece of baggage. If you take UA or B6 or VX you will have to pay for baggage...

SFO is congested and famous for delays - make sure you have enough time to connect in SFO (I assume you will fly on 2 separate tickets).
Old May 10, 2017, 9:19 am

Programs: BA Gold , Mucci recipient. Coffee Drinker, Blue Sky Thinker
We just did a couple of week in California followed by a drive into Las Vegas and home from there four nights later.. Did F out into LAX on the 380 and club upstairs on the 747 home. Had an amazing trip but managed to skip the CCR on the way out !!
Old May 10, 2017, 9:54 am

Programs: IC Amb :-(, UA silver, BA Gold, SPG Plat, A-Club Plat, Marriott Plat
On a closely-related topic if the OP is planning to route via SFO.

Is the new CX Lounge in SFO comparable to that in T3? Is it accessible available to people flying ex-SFO on BA flight? - is it available to people connecting to AA domestic flights?

I've never been a fan of the F "Room" in SFO and actually choose to sit in the main lounge. WHile it does the job it's certainly not the greatest BA lounge i the system, feeling more 'domestic' than a premium international lounge to me.
Old May 10, 2017, 10:03 am

Programs: BA GGL
Aim for the A380 for sure. The LAS route First won't feel as "First" due to dated plane.

Wouldn't worry about CCR too much. If you depart T3 then CX lounge is great. If you depart T5 then you get CCR.

Here's some F A380 routes - https://www.iflya380.com/a380-airlin...tml?origin=LBA - so you could get to LAS via Vancouver (you'll need an ETA doc to pass through airport), San Fran or LA (if you can get it - which I doubt, as its First is very popular).
Old May 10, 2017, 10:58 am
eae
In memoriam

Programs: BA GGL/CCR/GfL
Originally Posted by catharsis
On a closely-related topic if the OP is planning to route via SFO.

Is the new CX Lounge in SFO comparable to that in T3? Is it accessible available to people flying ex-SFO on BA flight? - is it available to people connecting to AA domestic flights?
No, not even in the same league. I'd argue the CX SFO lounge is the worst oneworld lounge at SFO. It is loud, crowded, and has worse F&B options than even the Admirals Club. They have the over rated noodle bar with freeze dried ramen but that's it.

Regardless it is not available for domestic AA departures as AA departs out of T2 which does not have an air-side connection to the international terminal.

You'll have access to the Admirals Club in T2 however.

As for oneworld lounges in the international terminal the BA one is by far my favorite. It's a bit on the small side but the staff is fantastic and the beverage options are great. No food to speak of.

The JAL one is dark and dated but tends to be less crowded and quieter than the CX one.
Old May 10, 2017, 11:08 am

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by jdtravels
Slightly off topic, as I won't be flying F any time soon , in J would you prefer an old 747 in seats 62A/K, or on the A380? Is the old entertainment system really that bad? Just that I can find no real recommended window seats on the A380!
I greatly enjoyed flying on the 747 upper deck (LHR-PHX so I think also the same older plane as the LAS route). My experience was that the 747 upstairs, even though I wasn't in 62A/K, was fantastic. Being 4-across instead of 8 made it significantly quieter and tranquil. And we had two attendants for 20 of us so service was always quick! And right at the bottom of the stairs was the little 'between meals snacks' galley. It did get very warm up there though, so bring a pair of light pajamas (shorts & light T-shirt is my recommendation).
Old May 10, 2017, 11:25 am

Programs: BA Exec Club
Does anyone know what type of 747 is on the IAD Route- I have 64k reserved for a few weeks time and was curious as to its quality. I have relatives who are in WTP too on same flight - how is that?
Old May 10, 2017, 11:42 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by jimlad48
Does anyone know what type of 747 is on the IAD Route- I have 64k reserved for a few weeks time and was curious as to its quality. I have relatives who are in WTP too on same flight - how is that?
64K is a Fantastic UD seat whichever 747 you get. Most normal people would be over the moon with the upper deck and only 20 people; but this is FT and they are a tough bunch to please 😁😉
Old May 10, 2017, 12:20 pm

Programs: United 1k, BA Gold, LX Senator, Flying Blue Plat, IHG Plat. Ambassador, Marriott Gold, Starwood Gold
Originally Posted by TPJ
No oneWorld carrier flying on the SFO-LAS route.

If you take WN at least you will get a free piece of baggage. If you take UA or B6 or VX you will have to pay for baggage...

SFO is congested and famous for delays - make sure you have enough time to connect in SFO (I assume you will fly on 2 separate tickets).
I often do the separate ticket thing from SFO/LAX. I would recommend looking into an F fare on the SFO-LAS routing (especially if you're flying over in F or J). You can generally get it for about $150 each way. And VX F is pretty good for domestic US. Plus with the baggage allowance it brings the cost close to Economy.

I usually book 2-2.5 hours time between connections and a few times if that was too much time I've been able to change to an earlier flight without fee (or with minimal fee).
Old May 10, 2017, 12:34 pm

Programs: BA GGL / GfL
Originally Posted by jimlad48
Just check your MMB section on BA.com. In the 'select your seats' section, if the aircraft has a CW row 21 & 22 on the lower deck, it is a refreshed Super-Hi J aircraft and this has the latest AVOD for your entertainment.

Pilot37
Old May 10, 2017, 1:15 pm

Programs: BA*GGL, A3*G, AF*P, VS*S
Originally Posted by dakaix
Though this does assume that the Qantas lounge will let you in when connecting to an AA domestic service. There have been multiple reports whereby they have denied this, despite the OW policies to the contrary.

Not saying this should be discounted only that access shouldn't be assumed.
Not sure if it's the pretty face, British accent or what, but I've never had any trouble getting in, and I've even done it on a purely short domestic hop on AA, no inbound connecting flight.
Old May 10, 2017, 1:16 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
I think the issues with the QF lounge were early just after it opened. I don't think it seems to be a problem now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.