Wiki Posts
Search

Didn't know there was a HBO CE fare

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2017, 8:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, Accor Gold
Didn't know there was a HBO CE fare

Well, to be exact, that you could travel Club Europe but have no checked-in baggage allowance. My wife booked a HBO fare but was offered an upgrade for the return sector for 89 euros, which she accepted, thinking it that it would also be handy to check in her one piece of hand baggage as it was a bit heavy. However, the checked in luggage allowance remains at zero. BA wanted £65 to check in the case to which she said no thanks.

Annoyingly, she frequently finds that her cabin baggage is taken off her at the gate to be placed in the hold, presumably due to lack of space in the cabin.
Old May 9, 2017, 8:19 am

Programs: HiltonH. Gold Starwood Gold BA BLUES! Mucci.
Would have been a very cheap upgrade if it includes baggage.
I guess we would all upgrade in those circumstances.... BA, like all businesses, surely looks to maximise revenue. Simples ?
Old May 9, 2017, 8:21 am

Programs: BA Silver
But then it should work both ways Skipcool3. If you have a flexible Y ticket , upgrading to a POUG CE makes it inflexible. Simples? or Unfair?
Old May 9, 2017, 8:23 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Once you POUG a basic fare it should actually include the normal CE checked bag allowance. This is what has been reported on here, and is my own experience.

I think MMB may be incorrect and not updated the baggage allowance in your case. The "Your booking has been changed" email which you should have got after doing the POUG should show baggage allowance - what does that say?
Old May 9, 2017, 8:23 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
that seems very odd / an IT error?

there is no such thing as a HBO ticket in CE

when CE POUG are marketed (from 'normal' ET fares, at least) one of the benefits which is touted is the increased luggage allowance; in fact, the increased luggage allowance is touted as a benefit of every 'paid for' upgrade that I recall ever seeing

so why on earth the HBO concept would carry across to an upgraded fare into CE is beyond me - can't be right?!
Old May 9, 2017, 8:24 am

Programs: Status with BA Exec Club; KrisFlyer; Hilton Honors; IHG One; Marriott Bonvoy
The Club Europe page on BA website says you get a larger baggage allowance - two bags. No caveats about upgrading . If you've paid for CE you're entitled to expect that.
Old May 9, 2017, 8:25 am

Programs: BA Gold
I have done just such and confirmed with the BA team on twitter that I will have 2 hold bags each leg (even the original HBO ET leg). I will be bringing the message up if I am argued with. I suggest you do the same.
Old May 9, 2017, 8:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, Accor Gold
Thank you for the replies. I will have to ask my wife later but when she checked in online and we printed the boarding pass it quite clearly showed HBO and the ground staff at LHR confirmed the £65 cost per checked bag, so I'm still puzzled.
Old May 9, 2017, 8:52 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
I've had this as an IT glitch on a Club World fare, so it sounds as though the ground staff just went with what was on the boarding pass and didn't escalate it.
Old May 9, 2017, 9:12 am

Common BA IT error, you are entitled to the full CE allowance but most staff won't overrule the computer when you check in. If they refuse, you need to pay up and claim it back
Old May 9, 2017, 9:25 am

Programs: HiltonH. Gold Starwood Gold BA BLUES! Mucci.
Well I have learnt something. Buy the cheapest HBO fare and hope for a poug.....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.