Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Meeting In Real Life Etiquette

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2017, 9:28 am

Programs: BA gold
FTers were quite easy to spot on the exDUB to US.
Old May 9, 2017, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
Originally Posted by Globaliser
Come on, spill the beans: Who was it?
I can't remember, honest ....was a UA flyer from Missouri
Old May 9, 2017, 9:54 am

Programs: BA Silver, Mucci
This always does the trick for me.

http://www.cafepress.com/flyertalk.547380934
I've seen DYKWIA (the DYKWIA, not a DYKWIA) in 1C on a couple of MAN - LHR flights, and I've seen c-w-s in the CCR, but I didn't speak to either of them. My mother warned me not to speak to strange men.
Old May 9, 2017, 10:36 am
cur

Programs: fwp blood diamond, dykwia uranium
Originally Posted by memesweeper
Hypethetical question:

You see a fellow traveller, who you think might be a FT BAEC regular, do you:

1. Ignore them - we're too British to talk IRL with strangers
2. Take out the laptop and click refresh on the FR BAEC tab and hope they notice
3. Flamboyantly take a photo of your meal
4: Run over and shout "you're @corporate-wage-slave and I claim my 500 Avios" !

?
i get really drunk while in business, order another drink, bring it back, give it to said ft'er, then say "oh hay i'm cur are you surprised i'm this coherent and non terrifying in real life". and if they were in business or first class i'd add in "hey i'll buy you a drink this flight then loudly say 'hahahahahah awman good stuff'"

but that's for the ua and sa flyers cause i only saw this thread thru the trending page on ft. but hey if i was on ba i'd still throw it out there. maybe a bit louder to spread some more love.
Old May 9, 2017, 10:42 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by HilFly
... I've seen DYKWIA (the DYKWIA, not a DYKWIA) in 1C on a couple of MAN - LHR flights, and I've seen c-w-s in the CCR, but I didn't speak to either of them. My mother warned me not to speak to strange men.
CWS is always welcoming and delightful, never be shy at saying hello. The other fella? Well, with a name like DYKWIA I'd stay well clear!
Old May 9, 2017, 11:47 am

Programs: Meow Mix
On my DOH-HEL trip, there was a guy with an FT tag. Introduced myself as we boarded the bus from Al Safwa and we left it there! Some FTers are really chatty, some shy and some just want to get on with their TP runs

/AE
Old May 9, 2017, 12:34 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hotels.com Gold
I wonder if other folks are like me - I'd be happy to meet other FTers on my travels but find that the FT bag tags are just a bit too conspicuous.

If there was something a little less in your face, perhaps something FT yellow but the size of a round pet collar tag (like this then I'd use it.

I think it'd still be distinctive enough for people who knew what they were looking for.
Old May 9, 2017, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
A discreet lapel pin might help

http://www.flyertalk.com/store/
Attached Images  
Old May 9, 2017, 12:55 pm
formerly southsidesilver

Programs: BA Gold, UA Silver, HH Diamond
What I don't get. If you are shy and don't want to talk with other flyer talkers, why bother putting the massive yellow tag on your bag.

Surely that's an invite for people who know what it is to come over and talk.
Old May 9, 2017, 1:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Status with BA Exec Club; KrisFlyer; Hilton Honors; IHG One; Marriott Bonvoy
Originally Posted by angeloedades
Some FTers are really chatty, some shy and some just want to get on with their TP runs
Sometimes I get sat next to ‘a talker’. It’s nice, met a couple of lovely people that way, but I suspect it is nervous and infrequent fliers who are more likely to spontaneously chat to their seat partner.
Old May 9, 2017, 1:52 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
I am terrible at spotting my own family let alone someone I've never met, I only spotted Joey Essex on that flight because he is really that stupid in real life.

If people spot me feel free to say hello (pref with some context).
Old May 9, 2017, 2:21 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA, Hilton.
Originally Posted by navylad
I am terrible at spotting my own family let alone someone I've never met, I only spotted Joey Essex on that flight because he is really that stupid in real life.

If people spot me feel free to say hello (pref with some context).
I spotted a Karfa-esq fellow in the T5 CCR last Saturday by the time I had finished talking boxing at the bar he had finished his early dinner and left!
Old May 9, 2017, 2:52 pm

Programs: BA GfL/GGL/CCR, HH Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
I've got a yellow FlyerTalk priority tag on my backpack and met two other FlyerTalkers thanks to it So the yellow tag does work!
Old May 9, 2017, 3:11 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by MickV
I spotted a Karfa-esq fellow in the T5 CCR last Saturday by the time I had finished talking boxing at the bar he had finished his early dinner and left!
Saturday 29 April? Yes I was there in the evening. Sorry I didn't spot you.
Old May 9, 2017, 3:48 pm

Programs: Meow Mix
Originally Posted by memesweeper
Sometimes I get sat next to ‘a talker’. It’s nice, met a couple of lovely people that way, but I suspect it is nervous and infrequent fliers who are more likely to spontaneously chat to their seat partner.
Can agree with this ^. SYD-BNE on QF was seated to someone who seemed nervous in row 1. He was wondering why I filmed my take-offs and landings. Turns out this chap had a fear of take-offs and landings!

/AE

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.