Meeting In Real Life Etiquette

Old May 9, 2017, 6:44 am

Programs: BAEC, LHM&M, and even a dusty KLFB!
Originally Posted by buzzrm
First image in that google search I mentioned? 'The Mug' is there, too. Sorry, I can't post a link at the moment.
That's the one!

Last edited by Prospero; May 11, 2017 at 1:08 pm Reason: Preserve privacy
Old May 9, 2017, 6:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by Raffles
I was just coming out of the loo in our WeWork office yesterday when I was recognised by a HFP reader who had, totally coincidentally, come to our building and our floor for a meeting with someone else!
What do you do in the loo that renders you recognisable to total strangers???
Old May 9, 2017, 6:53 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by DrBernardo
That's the one!
I know those two!

Hello chaps

Last edited by Prospero; May 11, 2017 at 1:09 pm Reason: Preserve privacy
Old May 9, 2017, 6:57 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by PETER01
The secret sign is you lean at a 45 degree angle when taking it or take it standing on one leg.
Wouldn't people be rather intimately acquainted by this point?
Old May 9, 2017, 7:04 am

Originally Posted by T8191
Perhaps Flyertalk should offer a distinctive branded fragrance we could all use when travelling, to augment identification? Avtur/Jet A-1 is not recommended, though
Based on my line of work, I really hope not. Fragrance is very specific to an individual and if every FT'er wore the same, many aircraft would stink.
Old May 9, 2017, 7:25 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I've had mixed encounters running into FTers. Some want to talk, others don't. If I spot a FT tag on a bag, someone reading Flyertalk or recognize someone from one of the various forums I'll always introduce myself but I'll be respectful if they want to be alone..
Old May 9, 2017, 7:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by rossmacd
Based on my line of work, I really hope not. Fragrance is very specific to an individual and if every FT'er wore the same, many aircraft would stink.
Oh

A nice FT-branded blazer? Yellow, with Navy Blue stripes? In both male and female styles, of course.
Old May 9, 2017, 7:35 am

Programs: BA GfL
So, to summarise:

Have FT tags and jangle them vigorously,
In an LHR or LGW lounge ask everyone if they are on BA1,
In any lounge ask everyone if they know what CWS stands for,
In any lounge walk around squawking “DYKWIA”,
In LHR T5 ostentatiously press the -4 button,
On board take pics of the food, while sitting at 45 degrees and/or while standing on one leg,
On board discuss the pros and cons of CSD and CSM with anyone who will listen,
On board walk up and down the aisle saying “Jean has a long moustache”,
On board walk around shaking* everyone’s hand. *The exact format hasn’t been discussed yet, so I suggest attaching FT tags to each thumb and of course asking “RUA?” RUA = Regular Upgrades Appreciated.

I think at this point the “United Airlines Response” would probably kick in and you’d be dragged off the aircraft shouting “BA1, Jean, CWS, Moustache, -4 is better.”

I believe they only serve Monopole in the T5 holding cell.
Old May 9, 2017, 7:48 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, M&M FF
I like the idea of an FT blazer. Or perhaps an FT tie?
Aha! http://www.tie-a-tie.net/wp-content/...w-blue-tie.jpg

Last edited by patentlyobvious; May 9, 2017 at 7:49 am Reason: Picture of tie.
Old May 9, 2017, 7:50 am

You could always pass them an elementary style note saying:

I like FT. Do you? Check one.

⬜ Yes
⬜ No
⬜ What is FT?
Old May 9, 2017, 8:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by patentlyobvious
I like the idea of an FT blazer. Or perhaps an FT tie?
Aha! http://www.tie-a-tie.net/wp-content/...w-blue-tie.jpg
Perfect ... I'll take one, and the matching ladies' scarf
Originally Posted by TravelingNomads
You could always pass them an elementary style note saying:

I like FT. Do you? Check one.

⬜ Yes
⬜ No
⬜ What is FT?
Who doesn't like FT? What's not to like? It has saved us thousands of GBPs, enabled us to fly frequently in comfort, take more holidays, visit interesting and far-away places, and show us the way to Gold*

* Just renewed, as we start a new Membership year with 0 TPs, and with 1460 TPs in MMB already
Old May 9, 2017, 8:12 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
Originally Posted by Lost-in-Space
So, to summarise:

Have FT tags and jangle them vigorously,
In an LHR or LGW lounge ask everyone if they are on BA1,
In any lounge ask everyone if they know what CWS stands for,
In any lounge walk around squawking “DYKWIA”,
In LHR T5 ostentatiously press the -4 button,
On board take pics of the food, while sitting at 45 degrees and/or while standing on one leg,
On board discuss the pros and cons of CSD and CSM with anyone who will listen,
On board walk up and down the aisle saying “Jean has a long moustache”,
On board walk around shaking* everyone’s hand. *The exact format hasn’t been discussed yet, so I suggest attaching FT tags to each thumb and of course asking “RUA?” RUA = Regular Upgrades Appreciated.

I think at this point the “United Airlines Response” would probably kick in and you’d be dragged off the aircraft shouting “BA1, Jean, CWS, Moustache, -4 is better.”

I believe they only serve Monopole in the T5 holding cell.

Surly a cruel and unusual punishment??
Old May 9, 2017, 8:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Worcester
Surly a cruel and unusual punishment??
Only if you are force-fed M&S luxurious food at the same time, and then required to pay for it.
Old May 9, 2017, 8:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
I've had a few encounters of sorts...

-There was a Premier who used to post semi-regularly a few years back. They've never confirmed anything personal about themselves but anyone who worked in their industry (as I did) was able to piece together the info and figure out who they were to a 99% certainty, which was a very high profile role. I saw them in the T5 CCR but didn't approach them, instead preferring to private message them through here. They didn't respond whilst I was in the lounge but did within a few days which confirmed they were who I thought which initiated a fairly lengthy email exchange over the next week.

-I've been recognized by other FTers (I used to post a lot more than I do now) and have been approached in the GF and CCR before! Most times was just a cursory hello!

-Bumped into two FTers at the BD lounge in BRU when the flight was delayed because of snow. I was out with the day with my father taking advantage of some ludicrous BD promotion and we got chatting as one sometimes does in such situations. I can't remember if the other two people were together or it just so happened three of us were from FT. All rather jovial over some Leffes as we waited for the weather to abate. One of them is still rather active on FT.

-I was the subject of this thread (although didn't post to FT at the time)
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...e-posters.html

Originally Posted by Greenpen
I once tried to start a conversation with someone in the LAX lounge who I spotted using FT. He was very reluctant to chat and we both ended up feeling awkward. So, I don't think I would do that again.
About 10yrs ago I was using one of the UA RCCs (as they were known then) at ORD and happened to be sitting next to someone with a yellow Flyertalk tag. I casually mentioned that I happen to use FT too and it initiated a hugely dull (one-sided) conversation that I rather regretted starting

I've seen a few yellow Flyertalk tags on other peoples carry-ons over the years since but have never initiated conversation again

Last edited by Fraser; May 9, 2017 at 9:33 am
Old May 9, 2017, 9:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Fraser
About 10yrs ago I was using one of the UA RCCs (as they were known then) at ORD and happened to be sitting next to someone with a yellow Flyertalk tag. I casually mentioned that I happen to use FT too and it initiated a hugely dull (one-sided) conversation that I rather regretted starting
Come on, spill the beans: Who was it?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.