Wiki Posts
Search

Contrasting Excellent / Pathetic Service

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2017, 5:01 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Charlie Whiskey
I take umbrage at your first comment: I am a genuine First passenger and was simply asking about one element of a 2-day journey, both legs on BA but booked on separate PNRs.
Being a first class passenger on one booking does not make you a first class passenger on all other separate bookings you happen to have with BA though.

However, as noted by Tobias-UK, a simple yes by the agent would have probably been the pragmatic approach.
Old May 9, 2017, 5:11 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
I do wonder what this says about a work environment where an experienced and presumably fairly senior agent felt unable to apply just a tiny bit of common sense.

Coupled with cuts to call centre jobs in the UK, it's no surprise many BA staff find their current employment challenging.
Old May 9, 2017, 5:35 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by 710 77345
Out of all the crazy, customer-hostile and downright rude things we've heard about over the decades here, this has got to be in the top 10. How on earth does this person get a role working YouFirst / GGL calls? What does she think she's achieving here?
Another example of fuddydud-ism. It is being generous to call the policy of non-service eccentric in this case. Old fashioned fussiness derived from the mentality of the 1800's.
Old May 9, 2017, 5:40 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
Whilst the agent appears correct, given the information was already on the screen I would have thought the information could have been passed on provided there was no other assistance needed.
How could one countenance such a blatant theft of premium service? Balderdash! Lock the back door to premium service before the masses raid the larder!
Old May 9, 2017, 5:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: AMEX PP;BAEC Bronze;Tesco CC Preferred;
Originally Posted by KARFA
Being a first class passenger on one booking does not make you a first class passenger on all other separate bookings you happen to have with BA though.
How very kind of you to point that out to me - quite slipped my mind. Next time I book £10,018.74 - worth of tickets with BA I shall benefit from your wisdom.
Old May 9, 2017, 5:54 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
I take umbrage at your first comment: I am a genuine First passenger and was simply asking about one element of a 2-day journey, both legs on BA but booked on separate PNRs...
There's no need to take umbridge #Charlie Whiskey, no offence was intended or implied. if you read my reply in full (and indeed my subsequent post) you will see that I have actually agreed with you in principle.

Out of interest #Charlie Whiskey, at what time of day UK time did you make the call in question?
Old May 9, 2017, 5:56 am

Programs: Many. Too many. I came here to cut them down. I failed.
How very kind of you to point that out to me - quite slipped my mind. Next time I book £10,018.74 - worth of tickets with BA I shall benefit from your wisdom.
Well, that's not going to win you any friends. If you paid £18.74 and avois you should get the same service if you paid eleventy billion quid.

However, i'm very surprised that there is not a consensus on this - the only reason you got the answer is because the agent misunderstood what she could and couldn't do, and should and shouldn't do.

To refuse to give you that information could only have come from her fear of ramifications to herself if she did.

And i'd hope a misunderstanding of instructions sent down upon high, because no-one - I hope - would be this stupid?

Both of which are the result of her management, and no-one else? This should scare the life out of BA if this is how their staff are now acting - basically terrified of those above them?
Old May 9, 2017, 6:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: AMEX PP;BAEC Bronze;Tesco CC Preferred;
Out of interest #Charlie Whiskey, at what time of day UK time did you make the call in question?
At about 1800 I think: my fixed-line phone records only go up to 6th May at present.
Old May 9, 2017, 6:16 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Oh dear ....
Old May 9, 2017, 6:30 am
V10

Programs: MUCCI Gold
Originally Posted by Sam Bee
Well, that's not going to win you any friends. If you paid £18.74 and avois you should get the same service if you paid eleventy billion quid.

However, i'm very surprised that there is not a consensus on this - the only reason you got the answer is because the agent misunderstood what she could and couldn't do, and should and shouldn't do.

To refuse to give you that information could only have come from her fear of ramifications to herself if she did.

And i'd hope a misunderstanding of instructions sent down upon high, because no-one - I hope - would be this stupid?

Both of which are the result of her management, and no-one else? This should scare the life out of BA if this is how their staff are now acting - basically terrified of those above them?
Indeed - this is much more pertitent than the yah-boo circle jerking over entitlement and lack thereof.

I find it hard to believe that this is a result of staff inexperience, particularly at this level, and more to do with a fear (misplaced or otherwise) about the ramifactions of acting against instructions. Not a good place to be.
Old May 9, 2017, 1:04 pm

Programs: BAEC
This is about BA attempting to protect the service it provides to those booked in First (and, as it is the same team, GGLs). In both these instances passengers were attempting to use a service they were not entitled to.
And in at least the OPs case, was trying to get infomation that should have been automatically provided anyway? (a booking/ticketing confirmation email).

Originally Posted by KARFA
But surely You First was created to help First Class passengers? As in the people that fly in F, not the actual booking itself. It's trying to engender loyalty and repeat custom in a customer segment that is very lucrative to BA (if F wasn't lucrative, why offer the YF line, rather than just keeping it GGL?).

As such treating the customer to 5* service for the first part of the call, then being utterly unhelpful for the second half makes a mockery of the entire process, as that same First Class customer comes of the phone annoyed and jaded. Asking about an entirely different trip, I can understand why the agent would ask them to call another number (but even then, it's the same passengers and is the same source of income to BA), but to refuse help on a connecting leg is ridculous.

Surely the clue is in the name...YOU First! Not your booking! Otherwise it would have been "PNRs with F or A booking classes First". Maybe that's not quite as catchy!
Old May 9, 2017, 1:44 pm

Programs: BA Silver

This.

Insane customer service.

Take your business elsewhere is my advice.
Old May 9, 2017, 1:47 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by Sam Bee

That's just ridiculous.

Jobsworth promoted beyond her pay grade more like.
Old May 9, 2017, 1:58 pm

Originally Posted by smokie36
... Take your business elsewhere is my advice.
Sadly not that easy to do if these are Avios bookings.
Old May 9, 2017, 2:04 pm

Originally Posted by smokie36
That's just ridiculous.

Jobsworth promoted beyond her pay grade more like.
We are being a little presumptuous here, there is no evidence from the OP that would support that assertion.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.