Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Massive 'Check your carry-ons for free' signs at LHR

Old May 8, 17, 12:16 pm
Original Poster

Now, I know that BA have often encouraged HBO pax to check in their bags for free on days when flights are busy.

However BA seem to have now invested in massive pre-security signs encouraging people to do so.

Is there really any point in pretending that HBO doesn't come with free checked bags now?

Old May 8, 17, 12:21 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Honors Diamond
I was travelling in CE (Gold) today (B767) and I was asked at boarding if I wanted to checkin my bag for free. I said 'I am travelling CE' and the agent said: You still can. I refused. Suffice to say that half of the CE overhead bins remained empty.
Old May 8, 17, 12:32 pm

To be fair, the sign says "within your permitted allowance" which I take to mean within your permitted hold luggage allowance, so not actually free.

If it does in fact mean that you can check-in baggage whilst on a HBO fare for free, then it completely destroys the point of the HBO fare in the first place
Old May 8, 17, 12:32 pm

Programs: BA Exec Gold , Emirates Skywards Plat , SAA Voyager Silver.
This could come in handy , but how will i show off my egoistical gold tags ?
Old May 8, 17, 12:33 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
That sign has been there since February!

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...-allowace.html

Some time last year BA put out signs and sent emails out saying that provided your bags are inside the HBO limit then they will check them for free. On busy flights you will get a pro-active email and text message inviting you to check bags in for free (which I think can then be bigger than your HBO allowance, but I'm not sure about that).
Old May 8, 17, 12:34 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA
I take "permitted allowance" to mean, as long as it's one hand baggage sized bag and one personal item, you can check it in.
Old May 8, 17, 12:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave View Post
That sign has been there since February!

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...-allowace.html

Some time last year BA put out signs and sent emails out saying that provided your bags are inside the HBO limit then they will check them for free. On busy flights you will get a pro-active email and text message inviting you to check bags in for free (which I think can then be bigger than your HBO allowance, but I'm not sure about that).
Ack. I'm clearly less observant than I thought.

I was aware of the pro-active texts - I'd always thought it was a flight-specific waiver based on loadings, rather than a blanket waiver.
Old May 8, 17, 12:38 pm

On an HBO ticket you're entitled to carry these sized bag, whether it sits above your head or in the hold makes no weight difference. It makes boarding faster thus increasing on time flights and revenue. Solid move I'd say.

Smaller airports make getting your bags a fairly quick process and I would rather not drag my second piece around. Good move.
Old May 8, 17, 1:23 pm

Out of interest, do the gate agents get any indication on screen that you've checked your hand luggage? Ie could you check one in and carry a second on board?
Old May 8, 17, 1:38 pm

Programs: BA GGL, AA lifetime gold, Marriott Rewards platinum
And once you have checked-in your cabin bag at the gate, you will get to board before the priority line. Bad move for status pax.

Last edited by martyndavid; May 8, 17 at 1:46 pm
Old May 8, 17, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by martyndavid View Post
And once you have checked-in your cabin bag at the gate, you will get to board before the priority line. Bad move for status pax.
Oh ... BAD call
Old May 8, 17, 1:50 pm

Originally Posted by martyndavid View Post
Surely offering to pre-check is a way to avoid the gate check.
Old May 8, 17, 2:16 pm

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH FTL (Silver), BA Blue
Yeah I always do this so I don't have to deal with all those liquids!
Old May 8, 17, 3:54 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL+CCR, HH D, QFF, EB
They now have a couple of desks airside where you can check in your hand luggage, located by the customer service desks near A10.
Old May 8, 17, 4:13 pm

Programs: DL Silver, Avis President's Club, Hertz President's Circle, Global Entry (Former AA Plt/Gold)
At least it's before security. Often times in the USA, you schlep through TSA, drag your bags to the toilet and into restaurants, and then when you get to the gate they offer to take it 'free of charge' because the planes are full. By then, it's too late unless I have no other choice, but if I was given a free checked bag at the start I would take it -- in fact, now that I've reached elite status I do, rather than carry on.

Search this Thread