Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Massive 'Check your carry-ons for free' signs at LHR

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Massive 'Check your carry-ons for free' signs at LHR

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2018, 10:40 am

Programs: British Airways Gold, IHG Spire Elite
I have been taking full advantage of this since they started sending the pro active text messages - I have been filling my carry on sized bag with stuff you defiantly cannot take through security which is a major advantage.

Also they have never said anything to me about the weight and I’ve had some heavy carry on because I pack it now with full intention to check it in.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 2:13 pm

Programs: just above cargo
Originally Posted by KARFA
I am not not quite sure why this has stirred up comments
Because it has a political subtext, an opportunity to express pedantry, and a chance for FTers to make it clear how much more geographically aware they are than the normal traveller. It is in other words the perfect FT comment
lhrpete and KARFA like this.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 2:38 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by volar
Announcement that shopping and duty free bags have to fit within the normal carry on allowance of two items.
I have heard this announcement a few times but never seen it enforced.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 3:03 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: HH D, Rad VIP, Marriott G
Originally Posted by chazman189
I'm amused how they say "Europe, UK or Ireland" as though the latter two are outside Europe
Actually I get this subtle differentiation to the usual language elsewhere of 'internal/domestic' as foreigners might think a domestic is within England but may not include Scotland or N.I. ...so it ensures that they clarify not only European flights but also flights within the UK...

One can analyse these things too much though!

Safe travels.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 6:05 am

Programs: BA Executive Club, AZ, VS, AA, UA
I'm travelling later today and received a text; the wording was as mentioned above... "Your flight is busy today. Please check-in your hand baggage free of charge at Zone B..." which smacks of "tell" rather than "invite". I have to say, as I am in CE, I found that a little offensive. Don't want to get all DYKWIA but CE pax should never be asked to check their (within size) hand baggage. They should filter the texts better and not send to people travelling CE.
Dover2Golf likes this.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 9:22 am

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
Originally Posted by OxfordBlue
I'm travelling later today and received a text; the wording was as mentioned above... "Your flight is busy today. Please check-in your hand baggage free of charge at Zone B..." which smacks of "tell" rather than "invite". I have to say, as I am in CE, I found that a little offensive. Don't want to get all DYKWIA but CE pax should never be asked to check their (within size) hand baggage. They should filter the texts better and not send to people travelling CE.
There are experiences admittedly not for a while of the priority lines having cabin baggage compulsory checked in.

An agent told me that even if you don’t get the text you could still check hand luggage in if on an HBO fare especially on domestic routes to avoid boarding delays. I’ve been reluctant to check this out with items that wouldn’t be allowed through as hand baggageie liquids.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 10:22 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by KeaneJohn
An agent told me that even if you don’t get the text you could still check hand luggage in if on an HBO fare especially on domestic routes to avoid boarding delays. I’ve been reluctant to check this out with items that wouldn’t be allowed through as hand baggageie liquids.
And that is exactly the point of the sign in post 1. Yes it definitely is available at LHR and LGW, and in T5 there is a special check-in section for it in B15. At outstations it is more YMMV unless the email has been sent (and that seems mainly to be some Italian and German outstations from what I can make out).
Old Dec 10, 2018, 10:41 am

Programs: BA Silver, TK Elite, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, NEXUS/GE
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
And that is exactly the point of the sign in post 1. Yes it definitely is available at LHR and LGW, and in T5 there is a special check-in section for it in B15. At outstations it is more YMMV unless the email has been sent (and that seems mainly to be some Italian and German outstations from what I can make out).
An outstation datapoint: I flew from CPH on Saturday. I was travelling on an HBO fare wherein I'd already purchased one piece of checked luggage. As I was already checking a bag anyways, the check-in agent offered to check my roll-aboard as well (which I accepted).
Old Dec 10, 2018, 10:54 am

There are experiences admittedly not for a while of the priority lines having cabin baggage compulsory checked in.
Ooohh... but priority might mean gold and/or CE... surely not CE pax?
Old Dec 10, 2018, 11:01 am

Data point. I am onboard BA884 to OTP, comfortably parked in CE. I boarded late ish and sure enough the overheads were full. I’ve stuffed my large carry on under the middle seat, but it’s clear that even in CE there’s not enough space for the bags. I suspect - but can’t confirm - that pax further back are stashing bags in the front row.

Meanwhile, boarding has taken forever - we’re already late - due to this route being particularly HBO-heavy and huge amounts of time being lost while the rest of the plane struggled to stash their gear. There is much gate-checking of bags going on, including bags being abandoned throughout the cabin - I’ve just had the CC doing the “is this anybody’s bag” walk through the cabin.

The current policy icy isn’t working and BA need to do something. I think a move towards limiting the HBO allowance - Ryanair style - may be needed. Or - abandoning HBO altogether at least on some routes. Whatever - I’m just sat here late and waiting for departure and my drinkies.
adrianlondon and Dover2Golf like this.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 1:22 pm

Programs: AA L/T Gold, BA Gold
Clearly you have not tried to get on one of the early BCN flights!!

I travel this route very regularly and the Agents are always doing it.

I was "told" to check my bag (which is within permitted sizes) last week. The Agent said (her words)..... "I am sorry but even CE and Gold don't get immunity"

It was just annoying as I was with my partner who was allowed through with his bag!
Old Dec 11, 2018, 1:44 am

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
Passenger on LHR-MAN this morning. Gate checked her bag, then Group 1 boarding started. I was right behind her when she ripped the tag off her bag on the air bridge and took it onboard with her - as brazen as you like.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 5:11 am

Programs: BA Silver, TK Elite, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, NEXUS/GE
Originally Posted by ThatT1Feeling
Passenger on LHR-MAN this morning. Gate checked her bag, then Group 1 boarding started. I was right behind her when she ripped the tag off her bag on the air bridge and took it onboard with her - as brazen as you like.
I wonder if you could then claim that BA lost your luggage when it doesn't arrive at the other end?
ThatT1Feeling, DVT and Dover2Golf like this.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 9:09 am

Originally Posted by OxfordBlue
Don't want to get all DYKWIA but CE pax should never be asked to check their (within size) hand baggage. They should filter the texts better and not send to people travelling CE.
They could downgrade you to Y if that helps.
OxfordBlue likes this.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by jimmyw9

I was "told" to check my bag (which is within permitted sizes) last week. The Agent said (her words)..... "I am sorry but even CE and Gold don't get immunity"
What the actual ****? My response to that would be “Fine. Check the bag - AFTER you’ve checked the bag of every passenger in Y”. This is utterly out of order. If you’ve paid to be in CE then you should under no circumstances ever be asked to gate check a compliant bag.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.