Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Serious question: How is BA different from a LCC?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Serious question: How is BA different from a LCC?

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2017, 5:08 am

Correct, other than tap water from the tank that is (officially) served if and when the paid service is completed, no complimentary food or drink is available.
Old May 7, 2017, 8:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Originally Posted by drvannostren
Wow, BA doesn't offer soft drinks on this flight? I'm not a BA flyer, but as an AC flyer, they offer soft drinks on short flights. Despite this flight being just an hour I'm quite surprised.

Is this just a symptom of how short the flight is, or does say LHR-ZAG also not have free soft drinks?

I had a full hot meal and 2 beers on LH from MUC-LIS last month.
BA does not serve complimentary drinks or snacks on any of its short haul flights from LHR or LGW.
Old May 7, 2017, 9:03 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by stifle
BA does not serve complimentary drinks or snacks on any of its short haul flights from LHR or LGW.
Oh yes it does! But granted, you need to be in Club Europe (business class) for that.
Old May 7, 2017, 9:13 am

Programs: EasyJet Flight Club
I have recently flown with easy and Norwegian to/from Stockholm after 18 months of solely flying BA on short haul.
I'm not sure if its Luton or not, but the easyJet experience was terrible - two coaches broke down enroute to the aircraft - only for them to put the whole flight on one bus (A319). When getting to the aircraft the captain was sorting out a problem, but it was the cabin crew who wouldn't let us on the aircraft. After waiting 45 minutes crammed on the bus, we were eventually allowed on to be greeted by the most ill mannered and overly aggressive cabin manager - who made us feel most unwelcome. The gate not doing their job properly meant there were around 20-25 bags which needed to be tagged - an hour late, and not impressed. This isnt the first time something like this has happened either...

Norwegian on the other hand were outstanding - on time, pleasant service and free wifi being a bonus.

Regarding recently on BA, never had a bad crew on short haul - always found crew to be pleasant and friendly. The issue of BOB doesnt worry me, but the cost of prebooking seats are really too much compared to the LCC's.
Old May 8, 2017, 12:04 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by nivsy
And ...millions don't.
I was not disputing that fact. However, there are many airlines in Europe and they all seem to have passengers who want to part with their money to fly with them. If BA charges higher prices and still manages to fill the planes it can only mean that it offers to passengers something that they want, that is to be at a certain place at a certain time. Strangely enough, when you read one of the threads about BA's results, people say that BA's revenues are falling because airfares are falling and BA can't charge the fares it used to, so I am puzzled why people say that BA is expensive.

Last edited by Andriyko; May 8, 2017 at 12:45 pm
Old May 8, 2017, 1:19 pm

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
Originally Posted by Andriyko
I was not disputing that fact. However, there are many airlines in Europe and they all seem to have passengers who want to part with their money to fly with them. If BA charges higher prices and still manages to fill the planes it can only mean that it offers to passengers something that they want, that is to be at a certain place at a certain time. Strangely enough, when you read one of the threads about BA's results, people say that BA's revenues are falling because airfares are falling and BA can't charge the fares it used to, so I am puzzled why people say that BA is expensive.
probably because people started comparing BA's fares to FR instead of other legacies like they used to = )
Old May 8, 2017, 1:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
A very interesting read.

I'm so glad I don't fly in Y any more, after the last BA/EI experience, and I seriously sympathise with those who do on a regular basis. To think that some 17 years ago we flew TATL in Y on VS! thanks again, FT, for showing us how to spend our pensions wisely
Old May 8, 2017, 2:08 pm

Programs: HH - Gold, BA - Blue
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Just my little joke since there are two people called Alex here. "Alex the easyJet captain" is an annoying feature on the LGW transit, not least since the voice belongs to someone who does a number of advertising packages, and I suspect hasn't been on easyJet for a very long time. BA's flight crew tend to give fairly good commentary on what is going on, you sometimes get it on U2 too, but you typically won't on FR.
'Alex the easyJet captain' is actually an easyJet captain, who also does voiceover work on the side.

But since Kate McWilliams rise to fame, she has now become the voice of the terminal interlink.
Old May 8, 2017, 2:17 pm

OK, well let's try:

1) - priority boarding that doesn't involve queuing before the aircraft has landed (or outdoors in 34c heat for 20 minutes in the case of Murcia)
2) - tank/tap water
3) - BA has nicer uniforms designed by someone who knows what they are doing rather, than a cabin crew sub-committee
(That said I fly U2, indeed I'm Flight Club with them now, and they are a perfectly reasonable airline).
Just in regards to the 3 quoted above, the priority boarding, boarding before the plane has arrived (1) is actually more efficient time wise. Than boarding when the crew are ready for pax to board. It also allows late runners to get there without delaying the flight.

With regards to tap water (2) - we do offer this, we even ask if you want ice with it!

With regard to crew uniform (3) - It might not be "fashionable" but it's practical, by having the uniform committee, it allows the crew to be involved and to have a practical uniform.
Old May 8, 2017, 2:18 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Orange.Man
'Alex the easyJet captain' is actually an easyJet captain, who also does voiceover work on the side.

But since Kate McWilliams rise to fame, she has now become the voice of the terminal interlink.
Well that surprised me, he sounds very much like the actor who does assorted TV adverts. As for 26 year old Captain Kate, and her 19 year old First Officer Luke, well very mixed feelings! Though I'm sure their professionalism is what shines through.

Edit: mind you, thinking about it, every so often there are posts on FT from parents worried about their offspring in this age bracket - at least we can point out that their flight crew is of the same generation.....

Last edited by corporate-wage-slave; May 8, 2017 at 2:24 pm
Old May 8, 2017, 2:20 pm

Well that surprised me, he sounds very much like the actor who does assorted TV adverts. As for 26 year old Captain Kate, and her 19 year old First Officer Luke, well very mixed feelings! Though I'm sure their professionalism is what shines through.
It might well be one and the same but he is an actual Captain at easyJet first and foremost.
Old May 8, 2017, 2:23 pm

Following my recent demotion to bronze, the difference for me is nil. If anything, I would probably pick easyjet over BA now because they do a better job of providing an LCC service.

BA does differ if you have status or are in CE, but at the back of the plane they are the same as the rest.

I will still fly ba where they are the cheapest or most convenient, or where rfs makes sense. But I would no longer pay a premium to do so.
Old May 8, 2017, 2:24 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
... As for 26 year old Captain Kate, and her 19 year old First Officer Luke, well very mixed feelings! Though I'm sure their professionalism is what shines through.
I think I'd feel a little uneasy with a flight crew of that age. I'm sure they are well trained and all that, but at that age, well let's say I'd like to see someone with a few more years behind them.
Old May 8, 2017, 2:34 pm

Originally Posted by Skipcool3
My next flight options... Inverness to London... 24/5 .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .........
When the it comes to straight INV-LON traffic, I have no idea how anyone can go for BA. Easyjet can regularly be found for under £50 return, BA is always in excuse for £80 but usually well over the £120 mark. Price and timings are just too good to beat. However I would be happy to see the back of Gatwick.

Another good thing I like about the really early INV flight is I only have to show up at the short stay car park about 25 minutes before departure. I try to only turn up around 35/40 minutes before at Gatwick just in case but really aren't the UK's best company.
Old May 8, 2017, 3:29 pm

Programs: Executive Club: Gold - Flying Blue: Gold
Writing in my AF business seat to JNB. AF lets you double upgrade from Y to J if you book the highest economy fares. Paid 32k to double upgrade from Y to J at check in. With the miles. Switched flying from BA to AF since january and I don't regret it at all. AF gives free food and drinks on shorthaul. Hot options are given in flights more than 2 hours. I find the experience so much more relaxed and happy. And I am BA gold that flies exclusively in Y. BA doesn't value me at all. BA is an LCC. Air France is becoming the best in Europe.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.