Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

LHR-LUX is Immediate return to LHR possible?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2017, 10:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold; Marriott Gold ; Hilton Gold

I can return from LHR -SEA for 70k Alaska miles and $525+ or LUX to SEA connecting in LHR for 70 K and $240. (Same onward flights) I can use 4500 BA miles to fly from LHR to LUX to position and save ~$250 but I would need to turn around in LUX in 50 minutes. It is the same plane but having never been to LUX I don't know what to expect and if I can stay airside (a la the US) Or if I need to do the Heathrow shuffle through passport control. If I need to exit and go through passport control this will not work. Any ideas and would any attempt? In the US this would be no big deal

BTW, I will not be checking bags

Last edited by LasVegasBuck; May 4, 2017 at 10:44 pm Reason: Clarification
Old May 4, 2017, 10:49 pm
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
See: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...ing-guide.html

AMS would be a far better choice.
Old May 4, 2017, 11:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold; Marriott Gold ; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by nux
See: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...ing-guide.html

AMS would be a far better choice.
Need to leave from T3 as I'm with a friend who is in First to another destination, I can use the First Lounge
Old May 4, 2017, 11:32 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Have a look at the back to back destination guide which will give more details. I'm sure there's a link to it in the forum dashboard.
Old May 4, 2017, 11:59 pm
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
Originally Posted by madfish
Have a look at the back to back destination guide which will give more details. I'm sure there's a link to it in the forum dashboard.
Much the same as I've linked above, and contains a link to the B2B destination guide as well.
Old May 5, 2017, 12:27 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Oneworld, *A; Hilton, SPG
Perhaps consider Vienna?

And here's a link for "Back-to-back..."
Old May 5, 2017, 12:59 am

Programs: BA Executive Club Silver, Star Alliance Gold, Hilton/Marriott/SPG Gold
There is no airside transit at LUX, so you will need to go through passport control and back through security. That said it's a small airport and both are normally quick. I've done a back-to-back (i.e. got off a flight from LHR and back on the return operated by the same aircraft) here without issue, and every other time I've been through the airport there have been no queues. There is the potential for it to go wrong, however, and I'm not sure that's worth $250 (to me, anyway).
Old May 5, 2017, 1:41 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, HH Diamond
On my only visit to LUX (BA) I was one of the first off the plane but had a 25-minute wait at immigration as we were behind at least one easyJet arrival. That would have been very ropey as a B2B.
There must be better T3 destinations that are Band 1 redemptions e.g. Marseille (off-peak) and Bilbao
Old May 5, 2017, 1:45 am

Programs: *A
Echoing previous comments, you'll likely be fine in LUX. My folks did it back in January with non-EU passports. Not foolproof, but safe enough IMO. Check the thread posted above, particularly this
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Since no one has ever seen the transfer desk open you have to go landside. However LUX airport is tiny, smaller than LBA. Arrivals is at one end of the square building, security at the other end, with the check in desks in between, To go back-to-back you clear passports, walk the length of the building landside to security and round back airside to the gate. It is a landside transfer but as easy at it gets. The building is 100 metres from corner to corner, and you are therefore walking just under 400 metres in all.
post from c-w-s.
(As an aside, they used Airportr to check in bags for the longhaul flight which worked just fine.)
Old May 5, 2017, 1:56 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by sds1493
Check the thread posted above, particularly this post from c-w-s.
Re-reading my own post, the one fact that I didn't include, though it's fairly obvious when you are in LUX, is that you need to go up a level. Arrivals is all in level -1, and departures is at ground level (Rez-de-chausée/rdc). There a stairway and lifts as you bear left from arrivals. Assuming non EEA passports, and assuming the passengers are quick to the passport control desk on arrival, then all will be fine. Exit passports is done such that it's unlikely to miss a flight by being held up there.
Old May 5, 2017, 4:08 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze
Originally Posted by ENTP
On my only visit to LUX (BA) I was one of the first off the plane but had a 25-minute wait at immigration as we were behind at least one easyJet arrival. That would have been very ropey as a B2B.
There must be better T3 destinations that are Band 1 redemptions e.g. Marseille (off-peak) and Bilbao
I fly between LHR-LUX quite often.
Due to an easyJet flight that is scheduled just before the BA flight (and which is often a bit late) you could be standing behind a full plane-load of people at immigration with only 2 officers handling passport checks.
I have spent around 30 minutes at immigration before due to this.

So if you are attempting that, at least make sure you are sitting in the very front of the plane.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.