Search

LHR to JNB / CPT 744

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2017, 6:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci Blue, BAEC Gold, Blockbuster Video card
LHR to JNB / CPT 744

Hi

Can anyone confirm whether the 744s to SA are the refitted super Hi J or not.

Wife and I have a companion voucher to use and we're going there later in the year. Really struggling to get J seats for the dates we want, especially to CPT which would be the preferred option...
Old May 4, 2017, 6:35 am

To CPT definitely not, I got one last month and it was a heap of junk. IFE broke an hour out of CPT and never restarted.

I went to JNB on the A380 but I'm inclined to think the SuperHi J 744s fly the route
Old May 4, 2017, 6:42 am

Programs: BA Gold
Mid-J is used to CPT. JNB get's Super-J (mostly) and Mid-J, along with a daily 380.
Old May 4, 2017, 6:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by andymcdonnell
I went to JNB on the A380 but I'm inclined to think the SuperHi J 744s fly the route
Guessing is dangerous! JNB sees a mixture of the two 744 configurations.

However, the current plan for northern winter 2017/8 appears to be that both JNB flights will be 388s. And the current published timetable for northern summer 2018 appears to be back to one 388 plus one 744 (with a mixture of configurations) but personally I would not be treating this as reliable at this stage.
Old May 4, 2017, 6:49 am

Programs: BA Gold, HHonours, SPG, AVIS
Old, mid-J 747's to Cape Town, some Super Hi-J on JNB, but not always. Current broken 747 BNLK is mid-J, which has been converted from a Hi-J in 2015

As for the 241, good luck with getting flights to CPT they get snapped up very quickly.

There is the clapped out old 777 option from LGW for the Northern Winter schedule, and that seems to have more availability, but not around Christmas/NY
Old May 4, 2017, 6:59 am

Originally Posted by Globaliser
However, the current plan for northern winter 2017/8 appears to be that both JNB flights will be 388s. And the current published timetable for northern summer 2018 appears to be back to one 388 plus one 744 (with a mixture of configurations) but personally I would not be treating this as reliable at this stage.
Along with in the past JNB seems to be the route most likely to get the 747 downgrade when they have a 380 airframe out of service due to another going tech or over in SE Asia for maintenance.
Old May 4, 2017, 7:31 am

Programs: BA Gold, HHonours, SPG, AVIS
Personally I would go for the UD on a 747, over the 380, I know I'm a heritic, but the 380 cabins are to large in CW with the service too slow from my experience.
Old May 4, 2017, 9:12 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
The A380 cargo capacity is, notoriously, poor. Isn't there a fair bit of cargo on the LHR-JNB route? Is that going some other way (third parties, Iberia, etc) or am I wrong and IAG Cargo doesn't carry a lot to/from JNB?

Is self-loading freight paying better than hold freight on this route?

Edit to add some googling results:
http://www.aircargoweek.com/iag-carg...-south-africa/ claims that IAG Cargo has capacity LGW-CPT and MAD-JNB as well as LHR-JNB
and other results (eg here from 2014) suggest use of the A380's precise hold temperature control to carry lower volumes of higher revenue cargo.

So, there's more to it than just LHR-JNB.

Last edited by flatlander; May 4, 2017 at 9:19 am Reason: if only someone made a service to search things on the Internet...
Old May 4, 2017, 12:00 pm

Having just flown LHR/CPT/LHR in J, I would suggest you go via JNB on the 380 if possible. The 744 either way was a flying piece of crap. Broken wall/ceiling panels, shabby interiors otherwise, non-functional IFE in both directions.
Old May 4, 2017, 12:43 pm
sgm

Originally Posted by BrixtonBiker
Having just flown LHR/CPT/LHR in J, I would suggest you go via JNB on the 380 if possible. The 744 either way was a flying piece of crap. Broken wall/ceiling panels, shabby interiors otherwise, non-functional IFE in both directions.
Agreed. The non refurbed 747s are terrible.
Old May 4, 2017, 12:53 pm

Programs: BA Gold, IC Ambassador, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Fairmont Platinum
Originally Posted by escape2sun
Personally I would go for the UD on a 747, over the 380, I know I'm a heritic, but the 380 cabins are to large in CW with the service too slow from my experience.
You are not a heretic at all. UD J or F on any 747 is superior to the A380.

I personally would fly to JNB then CPT given the choice if I wanted reward availability.

As for the argument that BA 747s are falling apart or LGW 777s are crap, I would suggest that there is far too much macho posturing on this board getting in the way of the facts.

If you want a brand new plane guaranteed every flight, BA (and most airlines) are wrong for you. If you want a safe, well maintained plane that is likely to be clean and functional, then you won't have a problem.

Now let's wait for that to be shot down in flames by those who fly BA less frequently than I do and for far fewer years.
Old May 4, 2017, 1:17 pm

Originally Posted by FrancisA
You are not a heretic at all. UD J or F on any 747 is superior to the A380.

I personally would fly to JNB then CPT given the choice if I wanted reward availability.

As for the argument that BA 747s are falling apart or LGW 777s are crap, I would suggest that there is far too much macho posturing on this board getting in the way of the facts.

If you want a brand new plane guaranteed every flight, BA (and most airlines) are wrong for you. If you want a safe, well maintained plane that is likely to be clean and functional, then you won't have a problem.

Now let's wait for that to be shot down in flames by those who fly BA less frequently than I do and for far fewer years.
i was with you up until you said "clean"....
Old May 4, 2017, 1:33 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
We flew back from JNB on Sunday night, we had a Mid J Config, WTP deplaned before the CW main deck. I noted that the plane was clean and the service was very good. IFE was not great, I had the latest releases and 5 maybe 6 older movies on my screen. I will definitely pay for seat selection next time, I was in one of the middle 2 with hubby on the aisle. A swap put us both in the middle which was preferable to sleeping with a stranger
Just for info, if flying onwards with SA Airlink to Mozambique or Nelspruit the checked luggage allowance is 20kg though I expect you can buy extra luggage capacity. When I booked I checked and was certain that it was 23kg but that is for the general SA Airways - oops
We had a hi J config on the LHR/JNB flight on 12/04, service not great but slept well.

Last edited by leedstraveller; May 4, 2017 at 1:38 pm
Old May 5, 2017, 2:07 am

Programs: BAEC silver
Not sure how F is the 747 is better than the A380 when the same number of seats are fitted in 3/4 of the space.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.