Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA 54 cancelled. Eu261 question on an ex-EU flight

Old May 2, 2017, 6:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA-GOLD

Hi all,
So BA54 was cancelled tonight and we're overnighting in Jnb. I believe we'll be eligible for EU261 compensation.

I have a question though....I am travelling on an ex-EU ticket starting in AMS so I was booked to fly from LCY to AMS.

Due to other commitments I won't have time to go back to Amsterdam now as I will miss my meeting and I have to be back in London on Thursday and then am away for 10 days.

What options do I have for either abandoning or rebooking that last leg at a later date?

If I abandon the last leg, do I get any compensation on that? Or can I request a rebooked flight in maybe 3 weeks time when I can reschedule my meeting and then claim EU261 compensation?

Any help is greatly appreciated...
Old May 2, 2017, 7:08 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Compensation is determined for each flight based on its own circumstances. The xEU origination is irrelevant in the case of a BA-operated flight.

Presuming that the cancellation was not due to extraordinary circumstances, you will be able to claim EC 261/2004 compensation of EUR 600 for the cancellation. If the cancellation was for extraordinary reasons, you will not.

While BA could theoretically insist that you fly to your "final ticketed destination", e.g. AMS, in order to claim compensation, that is extraordinarily unlikely.

I am almost certain that BA will, on request cancel the LCY-AMS segment for you under the circumstances.

While BA ought to rebook that segment to a later time, nobody here can tell you with any certainty that BA will not later maintain that if that flight in 3 weeks arrives on schedule, that you are still entitled to the EUR 600. Seems wrong, but you have to assess the risk.
Old May 2, 2017, 7:12 pm

Programs: BA (GGL G4L), AA (Gold), HH (Diamond); Marriott (Gold)
It should be possible to push the last segment out if you know the exact date you want and you explain the circumstances. Obviously whatever you had booked from AMS back to London on a separate ticket may be lost.
Old May 3, 2017, 12:44 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, HH Diamond.
could BA proactively book the OP on a LHR-AMS ?

Interested as I will be doing the same route next month albeit LGW-AMS on the last leg
Old May 3, 2017, 12:54 am

Programs: BA Silver AA Lifetime Gold
I had a similar situation from SIN a few years ago. I had no problem getting the last leg, to MAD in my case, pushed back a few weeks.

Spike
Old May 3, 2017, 1:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA-GOLD
Originally Posted by stewaran
could BA proactively book the OP on a LHR-AMS ?

Interested as I will be doing the same route next month albeit LGW-AMS on the last leg
That's exactly what I DON'T want them to do. Since I've missed my meeting in Amsterdam anyway, there is no point in me going until I've managed to reschedule which wouldn't be for at least 2 weeks. If they change it to a lhr flight, my suitcase will go all the way through and I'll be forced to Amsterdam.

At this point, I just want them to get me to London in the next 24 hrs and cancel the onward flight. At the moment I'm still in Jnb with no news as to when the flight will leave, not any other kind of information, like 'do I check out of the hotel at some point?'

It really has been poorly handled. At no point have I seen a single member of the Ba staff since leaving the aircraft. Not even any documentation from BA (the last time this happened, everyone was given a letter explaining what would happen before we left the baggage claim). And it took 3 hours after leaving the plane to check-in to the hotel, so I didn't get into my room until 2am.
Old May 3, 2017, 2:58 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, HH Diamond.
Originally Posted by sstolp
That's exactly what I DON'T want them to do. Since I've missed my meeting in Amsterdam anyway, there is no point in me going until I've managed to reschedule which wouldn't be for at least 2 weeks. If they change it to a lhr flight, my suitcase will go all the way through and I'll be forced to Amsterdam.

At this point, I just want them to get me to London in the next 24 hrs and cancel the onward flight. At the moment I'm still in Jnb with no news as to when the flight will leave, not any other kind of information, like 'do I check out of the hotel at some point?'

It really has been poorly handled. At no point have I seen a single member of the Ba staff since leaving the aircraft. Not even any documentation from BA (the last time this happened, everyone was given a letter explaining what would happen before we left the baggage claim). And it took 3 hours after leaving the plane to check-in to the hotel, so I didn't get into my room until 2am.
If you can in these circumstances arranging your own hotel/transport will be much faster, And in the one instance i did it was refunded without any problems. (I booked a sensibly priced hotel, and one taxi fare). I was in bed hours before my fellow pax.

Have you asked BA to re-route you on other airlines? (worth having your desired choice in hand before you call)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.